NeatlyEmpty

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Korean
Primarily Uses
I have used RPG Maker VX Ace mostly so I'm used to modifying scripts already there. If I was to make a new project in RPG Maker 2003, is it possible to script? For example, changing the default damage calculation and fine tuning the battle system, etc.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, there is DynRPG that people have been using to modify RPG Maker 2003 games with. Not sure if it's currently possible to apply it to the Steam version, but it may be worth a try, otherwise wait for an update to come out for it.

Iavra

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Natively, RM2k and RM2k3 don't support scripting, everything had to be done with events (and yet custom battle systems and menus could be done). Extensions like the famous Ineluki key patch used a custom harmony.dll and/or RPG_RT.exe to inject custom code into the game.

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
(and yet custom battle systems and menus could be done)
Were these done with the third-party patches, or could they be done in-engine with some kind of "menu editor", etc.?

Iavra

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
They were done in-engine. Basically, you implemented those by using a map and teleporting the player onto that map whenever a fight took place (obviously the native random encounters couldn't be used) or the escape button was pressed.

Rezca

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Can those things legally be used with the official 2k3 though? If so then it'd be great!  If not, well it's still a blast to use the real thing finally, and if you own XP, VX, or Ace you can import the resources into that to use ^^

Iavra

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
I know that using ResourceHacker to modify the RPG_RT.exe (for example to increase the maximum number of switches) is deemed illegal. Since RM2k/2k3 scripting works be modifying/replacing that file or harmony.dll, which should fall under similar regulations, i would highly suspect those to also be illegal. That's only my opinion, though.

When porting resources between the old and new makers, please note that RM2k3 tiles are 16x16, so you would have to scale them up or scale your VX/Ace resources down.

VideoWizard

Dragon Kingdoms Series producer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Hold on, I just need to clear some space in my schedule...

*pushes button*

Ah, that's better. RPG Maker 2003 now, RPG Maker 2000 at an undetermined point in the future (presumably right before the next one? Also, the video showed character sharing from 2k as well), and RPG Maker ?? at the mid-point of this year? I may not be exploring Mira in July/August, but I might be too busy with the next maker and two retro ones, as well as VXAce anyway. Now I'm wondering if waiting until December for Xenoblade Chronicles X (for example) isn't such a bad thing.

Rezca

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I know that using ResourceHacker to modify the RPG_RT.exe (for example to increase the maximum number of switches) is deemed illegal. Since RM2k/2k3 scripting works be modifying/replacing that file or harmony.dll, which should fall under similar regulations, i would highly suspect those to also be illegal. That's only my opinion, though.

When porting resources between the old and new makers, please note that RM2k3 tiles are 16x16, so you would have to scale them up or scale your VX/Ace resources down.
There was a Side-View script for XP that I enjoyed using, that the 2k3 monsters would be perfect for. Can't remember the name of it... Was an ATB and Side-View at the same time if I recall. Tilesets on the other hand... Yeah, probably wouldn't work without some editing. The music would be fun, RPGMaker's always had some lovely tunes built in :)

Zeriab

Huggins!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Note that you have variable by variable reference in RM2k3

VariableReference.png

That right there is the primary reason why evented battle systems are so much more feasible in RM2k(3) compared to XP and Ace.

Secondary reason is that event commands are processed much faster.

*hugs*

Last edited by a moderator:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Any method that requires changing or cracking the DLL or Program provided with any Maker makes that method illegal.

So NO, there is no legal way to add scripting into RM2K3

Chefchen

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Cherry(the guy who helped with fixing stuff in the steam version of rm2k3) said that creating patches is not legal, but applying them to your game is not. Is that true?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If a patch is illegal, then it doesn't matter if you "only" use it or if you created the patch - both cases are illegal for breaking EULA.

Seriel

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Ok, i'm confused now, on http://rpgmaker.net/engines/rm2k3/bulletins/30/ it says:

Cherry said:
This finally officially allows creating commercial games with RPG Maker 2003 (after a registration). Fortunately, the license also doesn't have any clause preventing modifications, e.g. through the use of patches. However, the reverse engineering itself is still prohibited.
What does this mean? Can we use patches? Can we not?

Rose Guardian

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I have not yet bought RPG Maker 2003. However, by what recall it doesn't support scripting. You have to do everything with an event if you want a custom menu, or battle system.

King Arthur

( ̄▽ ̄)ノ
Reaction score
First Language
ENG / JPN

- Aërendyll -

Noodle arms
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch / Aenese
Primarily Uses
Ok, i'm confused now, on http://rpgmaker.net/engines/rm2k3/bulletins/30/ it says:

What does this mean? Can we use patches? Can we not?
Exactly what it says: You can use patches and otherwise modify the runtime (changing out the EXFONT in RPG_RT.exe was cited as still legal, somewhere, I don't have the link handy), but you can't reverse-engineer.
Wait, what exactly does that mean? Doesn't it require you to break open RPG_RT.exe to change out the EXFONT? If so, does that mean it is legal to change the splash screens, launch icon and the like?

King Arthur

( ̄▽ ̄)ノ
Reaction score
First Language
ENG / JPN
Since the chief problem here seems to be a lack of or misunderstanding of what "reverse engineering" means, I'll leave this here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_engineering#Reverse_engineering_of_software

TL;DR: Changing out EXFONTs or icons is not reverse engineering.

I have no idea how splash screen changes would be handled. I personally never see them since I play all my RM2K(3) games through Test Play in the editor, but given that the splash screens hold stuff like game engine copyright designations and such from what I remember of it...

Felix Trapper

old fogey
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Since the chief problem here seems to be a lack of or misunderstanding of what "reverse engineering" means, I'll leave this here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_engineering#Reverse_engineering_of_software

TL;DR: Changing out EXFONTs or icons is not reverse engineering.

I have no idea how splash screen changes would be handled. I personally never see them since I play all my RM2K(3) games through Test Play in the editor, but given that the splash screens hold stuff like game engine copyright designations and such from what I remember of it...
Splash screens are not fundamentally different from exfont in any way. The only 'issue' would be stripping the final product of any sort of reference back to the engine that created it--which usually isn't a problem when you are a paid license owner. I'll be extremely disappointed if degica tries to allow exfont editing but not splash screen editing. Hopefully they aren't that greedy.

cremnophobia

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
If a patch is illegal, then it doesn't matter if you "only" use it or if you created the patch - both cases are illegal for breaking EULA.
Can you at least quote the part of the EULA that forbids that instead of just claiming something that isn't even true:
2. Licensee shall not reverse engineer, de-compile, or disassemble the SOFTWARE. Further, Licensee shall not sell, distribute, assign, lease, sublicense, encumber, or otherwise transfer the SOFTWARE and/or its data without any prior written consent of ENTERBRAIN.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Alisa: Prophecy of the Falling Stars. Join Alisa, a quiet girl with a heart filled with love and hope, on her journey to prevent a calamity. My next RPG Maker music pack is my largest and most focused pack yet. It's a musical story that focuses on a young heroine named Alisa who has been assigned the ultimate task to prevent a calamity.

My winter Asset Pack is now -40%! Only 0.75$
SnJj_O.png
Alien Worlds, Minecraft Blocks, Extend Options, Fine Speed Control, Art by Muggu | RPG Maker News #33

Rest in Peace vlog gun...
vloggunsmallface.png
Another unnamed character, and probably last one for now.
She's a dragon girl inspired by fafnir dragon. as always, name suggestion is welcomed.
Dragon_Girl.jpg

Dragon_Girl_1.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Capitunist