Does RMMV support the release of DLC for games?

Aceinfurno

The Padawan
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Tried looking this up and didn't find anything about it explicitly. So if I made a base game to be released, is there a way i can release DLC content at a later day to be added to the existing release so that players could keep their progress while still getting to enjoy the additional content?

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
EN, FR
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It is possible. It's not something handled by RPG Maker, it has to be handled through your publisher. If you publish on Steam, then you have to set it up in Steam.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
it is possible, but there are limitation that would require a lot of work to overcome.

it is easy only as long as all DLC is sequential - which means all DLC absolutely require all previous DLC to work. As long as you only add in sequence the engine can handle this.

if you want DLC that is independent of each other, you'll need to reprogram part of the engine. It can and has been done, but it will require a programmer handling it on your team.

Aceinfurno

The Padawan
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
it is possible, but there are limitation that would require a lot of work to overcome.

it is easy only as long as all DLC is sequential - which means all DLC absolutely require all previous DLC to work. As long as you only add in sequence the engine can handle this.

if you want DLC that is independent of each other, you'll need to reprogram part of the engine. It can and has been done, but it will require a programmer handling it on your team.
@Andar Does this mean that if I release Base, DLC 1, and DLC 2, then players would have to have DLC 1 in order to use DLC 2, and can't get DLC 2 without getting DLC 1?

@MushroomCake28 Is there a special way it has to be setup for RPG Maker even if it doesn't handle DLC itself? Or would DLC for RPG Maker games be set up the same as DLC for any other engine and is something I'd have to look for outside of the scope of these forums?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Does this mean that if I release Base, DLC 1, and DLC 2, then players would have to have DLC 1 in order to use DLC 2, and can't get DLC 2 without getting DLC 1?
yes
as said there are workarounds but they require more work

Htlaets

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I mean, the easiest way to do it is to just build the DLC into an update of the base game and just make it locked out in-game. Thaaattt being said it would be trivially easy to get around the switches without paying for the dlc, but I feel like someone interested enough in your game to buy it in the first place would be less likely to do that anyway.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
To do it that way, you would have to have all DLC available from day 1, and you'd still require a way for DLC to be purchased to unlock the extra content. And you're assuming switches would be the way to unlock them, but they don't have to be.

As long as none of the existing game is changed and you're not adding any scripts that would require a restart, it would be just a matter of the customer downloading the DLC and installing over the original game.

But if you're moving things around in the database, changing actor settings, or inserting scripts, you will need a method of updating the existing save files to cater for those changes.

BillyJack

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I mean, the easiest way to do it is to just build the DLC into an update of the base game and just make it locked out in-game. Thaaattt being said it would be trivially
Tried looking this up and didn't find anything about it explicitly. So if I made a base game to be released, is there a way i can release DLC content at a later day to be added to the existing release so that players could keep their progress while still getting to enjoy the additional content?
Have one game. The dlc they buy is a key that tells the game to unlock these sections. Can this be hacked? Yes. Anything can.

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
EN, FR
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@MushroomCake28 Is there a special way it has to be setup for RPG Maker even if it doesn't handle DLC itself? Or would DLC for RPG Maker games be set up the same as DLC for any other engine and is something I'd have to look for outside of the scope of these forums?
Not really, there are multiple ways to do it, but there are no dedicated system for DLCs in RPG Maker. That means that you'll have to make it work yourself. In other words, nothing prevents you from doing so, but nothing is done already for you. There might be multiple complications depending on the content of your DLCs, the number of DLCs, if they are independent, etc. (basically what others said).

Last edited:

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
As Shaz said, one major concern is that if you add new scripts/plugins which require data initialisation, you'll invalidate all previous saves and players will need to start the game over to experience the new content. This means it's not really possible to add new gameplay systems or mechanics via DLC that weren't already present or supported by the game since the beginning.

CleanWater

Independent Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes, you can. I did it for a RM2k3 game, it's possible as well for MV if you know the engine well enough.

Htlaets

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
To do it that way, you would have to have all DLC available from day 1, and you'd still require a way for DLC to be purchased to unlock the extra content. And you're assuming switches would be the way to unlock them, but they don't have to be.

As long as none of the existing game is changed and you're not adding any scripts that would require a restart, it would be just a matter of the customer downloading the DLC and installing over the original game.

But if you're moving things around in the database, changing actor settings, or inserting scripts, you will need a method of updating the existing save files to cater for those changes.
You wouldn't need all the DLC available from day 1. Having an update-on-load event run isn't terribly difficult, and all you'd need to do is replace/add some jsons to add new content/areas, which would add in the hooks for those areas. The on-load common event can update skills on actors, as well. Then make the common event json different depending on which DLCs you have so the on-load/start game events account for you to have the DLC toggled by switches.

For existing content changes, I think the on-load common event can cover that, too? Depending on what it is. If you change an event, all you'd need to do is account for the additions/subtractions to that event in your common event. Assuming you have the variables/switches to keep track of player choices.

Am I missing something?

As Shaz said, one major concern is that if you add new scripts/plugins which require data initialisation, you'll invalidate all previous saves and players will need to start the game over to experience the new content. This means it's not really possible to add new gameplay systems or mechanics via DLC that weren't already present or supported by the game since the beginning.
That depends on the plugin/scripts, and there are ways to make the problem plugin/scripts save compatible even if it is a pain (Done this myself, and yeah, it's annoying).

Jragyn

JABS codemonkey
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Am I missing something?
As @Trihan noted, if you introduce new plugins or change the underlying data structure in existing plugins, or do things simply that require any form of new data initializaiton, that kind of stuff would crash the game when loading an old save that lacks the data before it even gets to do anything regarding common events.

Ultimately, I think the sum of this is that you can extend an existing game, but you can't really add new stuff to it (like a new skill leveling system for the DLC). At least, not without significant developer effort to accommodate the possibility of a save that lacks the data.

CleanWater

Independent Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Which kind of content are you planning to add (if you don't mind me asking)?

orochi2k

The Mad King of Neolithic
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
RMXP
:kaojoy: I remember I wrote a paper about how to use RMXP to implement a "Neverwinter Night" module system and a Skyrim-like mod system. (My game is the first RPG made in China that has a DLC system, witnessed by professors of ECNU, it's a few months before other big companies in China can make such a claim.)

Basically, you just need to start with 2 things:
1, rewire the default file system, tell the game to check additional assets in pre-defined mod locations.
2, decide how those new assets (including new scripts) interact with existed assets

An example system can look like this:
1, The game starts, checks, and finds mod content. Some auto-start events and scripts are registered to the game, some assets are found to overwrite existed ones.
2, When the game meets a certain condition of registered events/scripts, they trigger and bring in more content from the mod seamlessly interactive with existed content.

If you are lazy, just use "eval" a lot. (unless you really need to worry about security.)

Then, you basically get a mod system.
And a DLC system is much more downscaled to a mod system.

Last edited:

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
You wouldn't need all the DLC available from day 1. Having an update-on-load event run isn't terribly difficult, and all you'd need to do is replace/add some jsons to add new content/areas, which would add in the hooks for those areas. The on-load common event can update skills on actors, as well. Then make the common event json different depending on which DLCs you have so the on-load/start game events account for you to have the DLC toggled by switches.

For existing content changes, I think the on-load common event can cover that, too? Depending on what it is. If you change an event, all you'd need to do is account for the additions/subtractions to that event in your common event. Assuming you have the variables/switches to keep track of player choices.

Am I missing something?

That depends on the plugin/scripts, and there are ways to make the problem plugin/scripts save compatible even if it is a pain (Done this myself, and yeah, it's annoying).
I know it depends on the plugin/scripts, that's why I said if you add any *that require data initialisation*, as in they set things up when the game starts.

Aceinfurno

The Padawan
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@CleanWater I'm not quite sure yet, but I'm intending to have a system that runs more like Dungeons and Dragons, so the leveling will be slower and over the course of the story, while also feeling like the levels are more impactful than just a few stat bumps and the same skills on repeat just getting stronger. I'm still early in development trying to just get the system implemented at this point with no real content created yet, but I want to be able to plan ahead so I don't make things harder for myself in the future. Most likely the DLC will be additional quests and story, with support for higher levels since the game isn't inherently meant to be "grindy", and there will be no initial incentive to grind to levels past what it's meant to support on release.

@Trihan so extensions like new areas/quests, new items and item augments, monsters, and additional class skills for extended level support are kosher, so long as there's no change to the inherent system and coding structure which would cause a change to the core functions of the game?

@Htlaets Do you have a link to an example of the update-on-load or even a tutorial on how it would be implemented? That would be awesome!

CleanWater

Independent Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Aceinfurno for what you want to do, you don't need much of programming or scripts. Just create the maps normally and don't mess with the Database on what was already created. All you need is to add the maps data on the game folder and all is done. :wink:

This is the same I did for my RM2k3 game (Fantasya Final Definitiva REMAKE). The only problem is that you need to make it progressively like Andar mentioned before, or add a script to check if said map data is available on your game folder, besides that, everything will be a piece of cake.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@CleanWater I'm not quite sure yet, but I'm intending to have a system that runs more like Dungeons and Dragons, so the leveling will be slower and over the course of the story, while also feeling like the levels are more impactful than just a few stat bumps and the same skills on repeat just getting stronger. I'm still early in development trying to just get the system implemented at this point with no real content created yet, but I want to be able to plan ahead so I don't make things harder for myself in the future. Most likely the DLC will be additional quests and story, with support for higher levels since the game isn't inherently meant to be "grindy", and there will be no initial incentive to grind to levels past what it's meant to support on release.

@Trihan so extensions like new areas/quests, new items and item augments, monsters, and additional class skills for extended level support are kosher, so long as there's no change to the inherent system and coding structure which would cause a change to the core functions of the game?

@Htlaets Do you have a link to an example of the update-on-load or even a tutorial on how it would be implemented? That would be awesome!
Exactly, yeah. It's fine to add new maps, new database items, new enemies...anything that doesn't affect data that was already there which might be in a save file, and no new plugins which initialise some data when a new game starts which is needed for it to function.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

i want to make videogame, though i am burned out on games with RPG elements, but the only gamedev tool i know how to use is rpg maker. :/
Rakon wrote on xizorandy's profile.
Hello! I found a post of lightning strike pictures you posted. You said you made them, am I allowed to use them in my commercial project. Would be really cool!^^
evhht2zr.png

Have a nice day!
It's almost 3 month and this piece of drawing is still not finished yet.
aaaa.jpg

Really busy with other stuffs like commission and coping with personal problem.
Stella & Elyune, maybe used for promotional art if my game project finished one day.
My ex put my heart upon a self he said don't give me no lines and keep my hands to myself :,(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DooDoo42