Does RMMV support the release of DLC for games?

Aceinfurno

The Padawan
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Trihan @CleanWater Alright cool, so I think I've got a good enough understanding for what I need to know for now, and how to structure my game with this in mind for down the road. I should be good for now, but if something comes up when I get to the point of setting it up for release I may revisit this with follow up questions. Thanks for all the help!

@Htlaets Thank you as well, I added the plugin to a folder I'm using to keep track of plugins and resources I'll need to reference and will look into incorporating ^^

Htlaets

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Htlaets Thank you as well, I added the plugin to a folder I'm using to keep track of plugins and resources I'll need to reference and will look into incorporating ^^
One of the good things about that particular plug-in (even more so than 90% of yanfly plug-ins, which have high compatibility because other creators have put in work to insure they're compatible with them and sometimes vice versa) is that it's very unlikely to break saves or have compatibility issues.

Aceinfurno

The Padawan
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
One of the good things about that particular plug-in (even more so than 90% of yanfly plug-ins, which have high compatibility because other creators have put in work to insure they're compatible with them and sometimes vice versa) is that it's very unlikely to break saves or have compatibility issues.
@Htlaets I figured yanfly was a big deal, but not so much so that other creators go out of their way to make sure they're compatible with them lol rather high praise. That would be good to know though, if it weren't for the fact that I'm trying to tweak things myself to be how i want them to be, and I have no idea what I'm doing xD (or at least very little c: )

Htlaets

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Htlaets I figured yanfly was a big deal, but not so much so that other creators go out of their way to make sure they're compatible with them lol rather high praise. That would be good to know though, if it weren't for the fact that I'm trying to tweak things myself to be how i want them to be, and I have no idea what I'm doing xD (or at least very little c: )
It's more of a thing that people complained to plug-in creators whenever yanfly's plugins weren't compatible, and, from what I understand this was kinda hard on/annoying to plug-in creators and created a lot of friction and resentment, but I can't say the extent for certain since I didn't follow all that.

To be fair, yanfly's own plug-ins do have parts of them carved out to be compatible with other creators plug-ins as well, so it's not a one way street. Either way, from what I understand, Yanfly's Ultility plug-ins are set-up in such a way as to be very difficult to not have compatibility with.

Either case, the only yanfly plug-in that I ever plugged in that didn't plug and play nicely was the one for timer control (you can still load saves without it and it doesn't make the game crash, the plug-in functions just don't work on old saves).

CleanWater

Independent Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Aceinfurno one last thing I think is worth to mention.

If you are planning DLCs particularly for Steam, their API have specific codes to check if the player owns the DLC content and if it was downloaded for playing.

I'm a bit rusty on JavaScript, but the syntax would be something like:

JavaScript:
if (DLCxOwned == true) {
   Do your things here;
}
else {
   You can write a message about the player not owning the DLC or similar;
}

You may need additional scripts to implement the Steam API though.

Aceinfurno

The Padawan
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Htlaets Oh okay gotcha, I've just noticed the name dropped everywhere, even checked out some of the plugins on their site, but was a little dismayed when I learned they had to be bought and paid for, which is absolutely fair and they have pretty great prices all things considered, I just don't have any money for it at the moment but will probably have to cave at some point for access to a few of them.
You may need additional scripts to implement the Steam API though.

@CleanWater thanks for the headsup, though now I'm curious... If it's going to be released on Steam, will it need those additional scripts even if there isn't any DLC, or would those be required for /any/ release on Steam?

Last edited:

CleanWater

Independent Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Aceinfurno when I used to publish games there, you only needed to implement their API if you wanted to add some of their client functionalities (like achievements, leaderboards, etc).

For FFDREMAKE, I released the DLC withouth any integration with their API, but for other games I released with another engine, I used their API to do checks on DLCs purchased/installed.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Man, this quick One Map game is causing unprecedented amounts of trouble.
I always end up having issues with things i'd never expect.

Capture.PNG

Those friggin mountains man xD
Time for my daily walk/jog ''Literally starts raining while I open the door''
I just discovered there's a giant jellyfish in the Ace RTP. My day is made.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Prandom