mmmegaidiot

mmmega idiot
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
NOTE: When I mention styling, I mean CSS.

I need to know so I can have people help me make a menu cursor for MZ.

GBJackson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Not sure about this one... However... It is possible to create a map that actually functions like a menu, where your character is a blinking selection box, and moving it jumps it to different options. Those options would be events with priority set to below character and action button triggered. I've been experimenting with this for my own project...

Use a parallax background for more artistic quality, Make the actual map tiles transparent, some being walkable so the game lets you move the cursor. If all existing menu functions are tied to this sort of map-based option selection, then you can make it so when the key to bring up the menu is pressed, the game gets the players location, loades the menu map, and when you exit the menu map it puts the player back where they were.

Using this method, then technically you can make the cursor look like whatever you want it to look...

Not sure if this helps, but it does present options to totally override the existing menu systems and with creative use of tiles and tile groups, could deliver a totally custom experience.

mmmegaidiot

mmmega idiot
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Not sure about this one... However... It is possible to create a map that actually functions like a menu, where your character is a blinking selection box, and moving it jumps it to different options. Those options would be events with priority set to below character and action button triggered. I've been experimenting with this for my own project...

Use a parallax background for more artistic quality, Make the actual map tiles transparent, some being walkable so the game lets you move the cursor. If all existing menu functions are tied to this sort of map-based option selection, then you can make it so when the key to bring up the menu is pressed, the game gets the players location, loades the menu map, and when you exit the menu map it puts the player back where they were.

Using this method, then technically you can make the cursor look like whatever you want it to look...

Not sure if this helps, but it does present options to totally override the existing menu systems and with creative use of tiles and tile groups, could deliver a totally custom experience.
I see. Thanks for your help!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

2dfloor.png
What a fun tileset I've got here so far!
Minecraft Tiles, Maid Day, Custom Menu, Retry at GameOver, Save in Appdata | RPG Maker News #36

side view special bust.png
Reworking the art for the 'special busts' in important game dialogue. Potentially replacing the more 'dead-on' look of the original:
original.png
Me: Imma work on my game! Let's get some progress done
Me, five minutes later smoking a cigarette: *screams into the void*
Just got back from work... I got to recommend a dish I liked to a group of senior ladies, and they said they'd order it for dessert! What was it? CHURROS! It's one of my favorite desserts at my workplace.
What's your favorite dessert? I'll eat any pastry with cinnamon and sugar, but especially churros. And then there's chocolate... omg, so good!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fmoviesfco7