Does this game seem too similar to Megaman sprite game?

What do you think about my game

• Cool :)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Its fine d(`・∀・)b

• Not cool :(

• Total voters

Megamiforever

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hello, I want to make a silly RPG based off of some weird fancomic thing I made. Its name is "Nanashi and Naoki: Lucifer's bad day" and it is mostly a game like Megaman sprite game. I'm a little worried that it might be too similar. I'm gonna list off some similarities and let you decide if it's too similar (also spoilers for both games though the spoilers for Nanashi and Naoki are more vague for obvious reasons)
  • Plot: The plot is that Lucifer got Taco Bell one day and that he sent creatures known as "monsters" (a more dangerous version of demons) to punish the humans for forgetting the nacho cheese so Nanashi and Naoki both half to find the 7 Havoc Beryls to stop him. Like how the ghosts come to kill Megaman and Zero to avenge a delivery man Megaman beat up at the beginning of the game so Megaman has to get the 3 B-Balls (I'm sorry its been a while since I've watched NitroRad's video on the game)
  • Dog character: There is a character in Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse named Dagda, who is a stoner and unlike the original game, has no relationship with Nanashi other than being friends with Asahi's dad and that he let's you save. There is a version of him in the game named Dogda, who Danu created to protect the Havoc Morganite which lies deep within the fairy forest. You will half to fight him as a boss the get the Havoc Morganite, when you defeat him, he'll learn that you're doing this to get rid of all the monsters. There is also a character in megaman sprite game named Dogmobile who joins your party, the key difference is that Dogda stays in your party for the rest of the game
  • Rival characters: In Nanashi and Naoki, you have two main rivals, Sugimura from Persona 5 and Dante from the devil may cry series, who are rivals for Nanashi and Naoki respectively. Sugimura is a massive jerk who constantly insults and ditches Dante and mocks Nanashi, Nanashi has a long history of hating Sugimura. Dante is also a big jerk, calls everyone losers and is just unpleasant around everyone, especially Naoki, the only thing different is that they treat their rivalry like a rivalry and aren't at each other's throats like Nanashi and Sugimura are. Megaman sprite game has a character like the two rivals named Quickman, the difference being that one of the rivals become very important later on
  • Final boss (really big spoilers): The final boss is strong and I mean STRONG, so strong him in fact, he overthrows YHVH and makes him his janitor, your party have to stop him... Thing is, when they fight him, he defeats them in one move, they didn't even have a chance... Until they use the Havoc Beryls to transform into new forms, that one can only achieve by absorbing the power of the Havoc Beryls. This is kinda like the final boss of Megaman sprite game where the two main characters fuse together to defeat the final boss

Thank you for reading this. I'd be happy to hear your thoughts. If it's too similar then please give me tips on how to change it. This is Megamiforever, signing off

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I've moved this thread to Ideas and Prototypes. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

MrNybbles

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think you should be all right.

There is a game called Mighty Number 9 which is very similar to MegaMan so that should give you an idea of how close you can get with your game. I'd avoid actively trying to get close though.

Copyright Law (Oversimplified):
* Basically people can't claim ownership of ideas. You can not copyright the idea of a robotic man and his dog any more than the idea of a man and his dog.
* People are not granted ownership of Scènes à faire.
* People are not granted ownership of common everyday things. While MegaMan as a whole is copyright-able, you can't copyright all robotic human-like entities because it is too broad and human-like things are too common.
* Having rivals are common in movies, TV shows, and in Pokemon. As long as it is not a copy-and-paste on its own it is Scènes à faire.
* Having a boss

The only issue I see is that Taco Bell itself is Trademarked, but you can call your Taco-based fast-food restaurant something else. Just because we see Taco Bell everywhere does not make it Scènes à faire.

Now, if the characters look close enough to be mistaken for MegaMan by the average person then you should start talking to a lawyer who focuses or specializes in Copyright.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I've just checked my account balance...
Here's the graveyard area I'm currently working on for another small project! (This is actually an RPG and not a puzzle game for once)
In the strangest turn of events, my animations now live in the characters folder, and my character images now live in the pictures folder. It's a complicated world, but weirdly a more resource efficient one. :LZSexcite:
Did you know that we use robotic spy animals to learn about how different species behave in the wild? We're only a step away from robotic spy humans, and then Terminator. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AikoKurasu