Does your computer lag when dealing with OOG files?

knightron

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hi I've recently switched back to Windows to embrace RPG Maker again after a then year hiatus. It's nice to see RPG Maker has switched from Midi files to OOG but what i've noticed is that every time i open a file manager with five or more OOG files in, the computer lags. It happens in Windows Explorer, VLC and Explorer++. It did not happen with FreeComander but it did when i attempted to open an OOG file from there with VLC.
Audacity and RPG Maker MZ work fine with them, no lag at all, including the file browsers within these two applications.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The file extension is OGG, not OOG ;) To answer your question, that is typical on Windows 10 - with a quick Google, this comes up with a recommended solution:

Eliaquim

Hakuen Studio
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese - Br
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@knightron Yes! That happens to me too!
@ATT_Turan lol, why I never google this? haha! Thanks, I will take a look at this too o.o

Stimulantfound

La Princesa Stephany
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Español
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
After taking a look at your avatar, I have to assume it has something to do with you using a PC from 1998 . . . is Professor Oak helping you with your project? :stickytongue: All joking aside, I really like your avatar. The original Pokémon games are some of my favorite RPGs. :smile:

I made something that may help. Copy the content below, and paste it into a Text Document. Ctrl+Shift+S, Save as type: All files (*.*), and change the extension from TXT, to BAT. When you open the BAT file, it will reset File Explorer.

@echo off
Reg Delete "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU" /F
Reg Delete "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags" /F
Reg Delete "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags" /F
Reg Delete "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU" /F
Reg Delete "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU" /F
Reg Delete "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags" /F
Reg Delete "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\Wow6432Node\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags" /F
Reg Delete "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\Wow6432Node\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU" /F
REG Delete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams\Defaults" /F
Reg Delete "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Modules\GlobalSettings\Sizer" /F
Reg Delete "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Modules\NavPane" /F
Reg Delete "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CIDOpen" /F
Reg Delete "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CIDSave" /F
Reg Delete "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ComDlg32" /F
taskkill /f /im explorer.exe
start explorer.exe

Darth Equus

I *HATE* Parallax Mapping.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVX
Posting the solution shown on that Reddit thread here, just in case:

"Windows key + R > control > Indexing Options > Advanced > File Types tab > Uncheck ogg and opus. Restart Explorer.
If that doesn't work (it should), uninstall Web Media Extensions in Settings > Apps."

orochi2k

The Mad King of Neolithic
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Chinese
Primarily Uses
RMXP
I saw something about this before.
It's likely because...
When reading OGG files, your system can only get all the information after almost the entire file has been read.
Other file formats put important information in their heads, so when gathering information, your system does not need to read that much information.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Updated the dev logs for the game I'm working on! Check it out here
Alright, I left the modern girl in fantasy brain's hands while I get my - MODERN GIRL WHAT HAPPENED?! I blame fantasy brain for this.

WinaElemental.png
I just realized that, while I was waiting for our little Easter Game to be approved in the Completed Games Thread, the game was already listed for more than a week, without me noticing x.x

So ... very delayed happy easter to everyone I guess? : D
WIP
3t2Xc52pKS7ptwWCFMrSen.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hesena