Storm crow descending, Winter unending.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Doge Saga
(which has been referred to, and I'll get to that, by way too many different names, including but not limited to Doge Saga, 2018: A Doge Odyssey, Doge Quest, Doge Saga 2018, Doge Quest 2018, Doge In Space, Doge Gets High, Doge at Dog [a play on "dog eat dog"], Doge's Big Day, Weekend at Doge's, etcetera) is the most completely ridiculous game I have ever made, and is probably up there with the most ridiculous games ever made, period.

It is for grownups and old kids only, because it has bad words and drug references in it. If the ESRB had a look at it, they'd rate it MA17+ but then as a parent I'd let my 13 year old daughter play that MA17+ game so it is rated...that. Like, the previous sentence is the rating.

Anyway in spite of cute pictures of doggos, really little and medium kids should definitely not play this. They should just go play with their dog instead.

DS was created by myself and young up-and-coming RM wunderkind justashydoge for RMN's late 2018 "Swap In The Middle With You" event. He did the first ten minutes that are a cute and sweet puzzle game: the abomination of ridiculousness that follows has only me to blame. I finished a more-or-less complete (though short) self-contained JRPG in a panicked week long binge of smoking and gamedev all-nighters in a series of hotel rooms where I was crashing with my dog during my move cross country. A lot of my most compelling game dev work was done when I was, one way or another, not in my right mind. This is probably an example.

You're looking at an utterly bizarre masocore/Nintendo-hard remake of FF1 but with dogs that suddenly terminates in an M. Night Shyamalan style reveal as unsettlingly serious FFVII fan fiction.

I had been wanting to make a game starring dogs for years and this was a wonderful excuse.

It currently has 30 downloads on RMN and I'd be lying if I didn't say I think it deserves at least 10 times that many.

It is a greatly simplified remake of Final Fantasy I. Besides that it's an hour long and uses a 1st person battle perspective, probably the biggest difference between it and FFI is that your party is made up entirely of dogs.

PREMISE:
You are a GUY on a SPACESHIP in the FUTURE of SPACE. You just smoked some Space Grass (like they do in the future), and it was some good ****. You are seriously stoned. Your Pembroke Welsh Corgi (perhaps secretly a Shiba-Inu) is looking at you. What could he want? Is he a high-tech data dog with a German name? No, that's Cowboy Bebop. He is a spirit guide and he wishes to take you on an astral vision quest.

(You had better go because if you say no you get game over.)

Think that's enough (sub)titles?

/SCREENSHOTS/
Four of 'em! In this section alone! WOW!

DON'T YOU DO IT

You are your pet's entire world...or are you?

Racism is a serious issue.

Just do it, human.

/SYSTEMS & MECHANICS/

You have four dogen in your party. Their (default) names are Turbo, Milo, Dodger, and Angel. They are virtually identical except that Dodger has a hidden 25% Evasion bonus and Angel, being a female dog, can equip equipment specifically designed for... well you know what the term for a female dog is. I just noticed the filter changed that word to "sexy lady" which is fine except when we're talking about actual, literal female dogs where it just makes things worse and is HORRIBLY DISTURBING.

You can assign each of your four dogs a class. You can have one dog of each class, two dogs of one class and two dogs of another, three dogs of one class and one dog of a second class, ALL FOUR DOGS IN THE SAME CLASS, any combination you can think of!

The classes available to your dogen are:
  • Barker: The Barker borks at enemies, scaring and debuffing them. At high level, gains the ability to summon Ozzy Osborne. Yes, really.
  • Bighter: The Bighter has the best physical stats and is the only class that can equip heavy dog armor. However, Bighters only ever learn one skill ("Brisk Shake" at Level 3).
  • Comfort Animal: I have one of these IRL! Comfort Animals can use their "Lick" skill tree to heal allies. At Level 7 they unlock the ability to Snuggle allies back to life. Finally, they're the only class that can equip service dog equipment.
  • Dogwizard: Dogwizards can cast ALL the spells that make the peoples fall downs! They get a ton of offensive spells and really high casting power. Unfortunately, their HP, attack power, and defense are all totally pitiful, making them extremely vulnerable glass cannons. At least they're among the faster classes in the game so they can get off some devastating spells before their wizard hitpoints lead to them dropping like flies! Dogwizards get access to 18 Spells (the class with the second most skills is Barker, with 5). In fact, they have so many spells that almost all of their spells are restricted to having 4 character names due to the limitations in RPG Maker MV's database*...

Character levels go from 1 to 10 over the course of the game, but with the exception of the dogwizard (below) all classes unlock their ultimate skill, if any, by Level 7.

Dogs obviously cannot use weapons or shields, and can equip only accessories (including "armor") and hats (obviously). Some hats and armor and such are just for... ... ... ... ... ... ... .. [hide]lady dogs[/hide].

Angel (whose default name is an FF8 reference) says human word for lady doge is impolite!

* This is obviously toadal BS.

The game features 27 unique enemies for your dogen to battle, including somewhere around 7 hidden bosses/enemies to find (including a fun easter egg or two, like a reference to the other game that justashydoge and I collab'd on during the same event). Fear the mighty OGG Vorbis and its terrible OGG!!

Be warned, expect to see this screen a lot over the course of the learning curve:

I think you'll enjoy the game over music too.

!DOWNLOAD THE GAME NOW PLEASE!

/DEEPER STORY/

This is the ancient battle between cats and dogs long prophesied. Cats--or cates/caits as they are referred to here--are probably an alien species that has parasitically linked itself to the human race. Meanwhile, dogen--dogs, doggos, or doge are all acceptable alternate plurals, but "doges" is never correct-- also perhaps an alien species, in any case share a comfortable symbiotic with the human race, providing them with companionship and protection from hidden threats. Hidden threats like the Cait and their sinister machinations.

Because Spaceship Zero is bringing the human race to a new home among the stars, the stakes could not be higher when it comes to whether doge or cate will make first landfall. BECAUSE:

THE STAKES ARE ****ING REAL PEOPLE

And it just might be the case that the doomed planet that this dog, cats, and humans space ark is fleeing from is called...
...well, The Planet.

/CREDITS/
Doge Saga: A Space Oddity is a 100% free RPG Maker MV game developed by JustAShyDoge with "help" from Genevieve Hemingway (aka StormCrow, aka CrowStorm, aka ME!).
Monkey In A Tophat Sprite: Pineda
Monkey In A Tophat Scapegoat: Liberty
Custom Doge & Cate gfx: JustAShyDoge
Monster Graphics: MilanoCat, akashics.moe
Dank Memes - JustAShyDoge in collaboration with THE INTERNETS
This 1-3 hour long RPG is 100% FREE so if you ever see it being SOLD, anywhere advise: that is some filth-person's scam and the game can be gotten for free right here. .

Last edited:

CrowStorm

Storm crow descending, Winter unending.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello, this is the 24 day bump. Not much in the way of updates, the game's been complete for 13 months (i mean if anyone finds a game breaking bug and tells me I'd be happy to fix that), I'd just honestly like more people to play this and tell me what they think of the sheer ridiculousness.

I know it's not even off the 1sy page yet but I've held off on bumping for three weeks after the 72 hour minimum. Sorry if this post breaks any rules: there are a lot of rules, and I'm trying to read and follow them but srsly, this site has a LOT of rules.

In any case, rules or ghouls aside, once I've posted 3-4 times consecutively I will stop trying, that's just my own policy, but with 24 days between this and the OP that's gonna be a ways off.

Iamaperson

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This game is hilarious! It gave me a lot of laughs. Overall it's very entertaining. But when I passed the astral quest and started fighting enemies, error screens kept popping up saying that 'cure4.png' or 'attack5.png' etc wouldn't load. I think this is a problem that arises when you choose to exclude unused files while exporting the game. If you were to re-export the game and include the files, or go through the trouble of dragging all of the animations into the output folder, then this problem would be fixed. It's very disappointing because this game is a lot of fun.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

My spirit can be so easily wounded by most things that nobody thinks twice about. It may be not a big deal to you, but it means EVERYTHING to me!
I have to make a custom tree for my FSM game and I'm nervous I won't get it right.
Finally got the tablet picture! :LZSsmile:
Working hard on my Mode7 interiors in between calls at work!
A good idea rise a moment before falling asleep, and survive the second coffee the day next morning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZelloksThunder