Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

Labyrinth - A Journey of Remembrance and Survival - Prologue

Story/Plot:

Trapped. Adam doesn't remember how, or why, but all he does know is that he's now trapped inside a room with one way out. What lies beyond the door? Danger? The great unknown holds much that Adam probably isn't ready for, and them some. All he knows, or has figured out, is that he needs to get out... find a way, before whatever has kept him, and who knows who else, gets to him... And end it all.

(Side note: This will be a chapter series, this being the first chapter of many planned. Also, this is my first attempt at any sort of real game, so please be gentle... please? T~T)

To Do List:

Construct the story further - Done

Add map details (little things, I'm sure...) - Done

Construct demo (Because I'd love constructive feedback and all. I'm making this game for you guys and all. :D  ) - Done!

Everything else   Done

Additional Information:

All Characters have unique classes, with a variety of skills to make them interesting.

This is a type of maze-y game, so you can expect of lot of that. (Title is Labyrinth, after all. :X )

Current game version at this points runs about an hour to an hour and a half.  >_>

Screenshots:

Some Changes After v1.3

Before v1.3

Game - Note: There should be updates to the game coming. Additionally, I'll be making changes depending on feedback.

How I feel on the inside:

Credits:

Enterbrain/Kadokawa Co.

Mon - Character Assets

Yanfly - Plugins

(More to come, I'm sure, as the project progresses...)

Any further questions or comments, please by all means, feel free to ask. There is some mystery and intrigue to this game, so I don't want to give away too much, but I'll answer them to the best of my ability. Thank you again. :)  

Last edited by a moderator:

hiddenone

Lurker Extraordinaire
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
First off, congrats on finishing your game!  I played through it and the story seems interesting.  The characters all seem different, though I couldn't get too good of a grasp of their personalities because of the short length of the game.  I'm curious how they'll grow as they travel through the labyrinth.

I have a few problems with the game though.  Some of the skills (mostly Adam's) use mp & tp, but the menus only mention the tp so I didn't realize they used mp until it was out.  I never got to use the 100 tp skills since the battles  were over before I'd get that much.  The miss rate was also pretty bad, a lot of turns were spent missing each other.  Catherine's skills sound interesting, but they seemed to do less damage than her normal attacks.  So for most of the fights I'd just hold down 'z' and zip through them.  The food didn't tell me how much it would heal me, so I didn't bother buying any since I wasn't sure if it would be worth it.

Your conversations were okay, but there were just too many ellipses and they took me out of the experience.  If you want to have pauses in the sentences, I'd suggest using the pause codes (like '\.' or '\|')instead of '...'.  I know you said this was the first chapter of a series, but the ending really left something to desire.  I finally got enough money, opened the gate, and that was it.   My running around fighting monsters didn't amount to anything.  Some more dialogue between the characters to establish more relationships, some peek at what's coming, anything would be nice.

This seems like it could be a nice game, it just needs some more work and polish.  Keep it up!  :)

I didn't run into any game-breaking bugs, so well done (I'm pretty sure most of us have those nasty bugs sneak in, no matter how experienced we are).  I did find a few errors though:

- Says found Smelling Salts near the bed, but didn't get any
- Mindy's 'Offkey Melody' description is cut off
- Sarah disappears when you start speaking to her
- Adam's 'Focus Attack & Defense' description is cut off
- The machine to open the gate didn't actually take my 1000 mhp

TheAlexG

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thank you very much! It was indeed my first attempt at a full game and all, do I'm happy to have finished it.

That said, thank you very much for the input. As we speak, I'm going back to fix some of the errors or things I feel lacking to the game. I'm still working on it, as I do realize, well, there's work to be done. XD

I appreciate it, and I'll go back with this information in hand, and hopefully in can fix all the things you mentioned, and then some. 

Again, thanks for playing and giving your wonderful input, and here's hoping you enjoy what I got coming, as much as I love making it for you guys. :)

As so not to double post: Finished with most, if not all the fixes. Hopefully this will fix, or at least temporarily suffice till I can find a better, more permanent solution. As the Patch notes stand:

v1.11 Notes

The issue about the Smelling Salts by the bed has been resolved.
The issue with the description of 'Offkey Melody' and 'Focus Attack & Defense' has been resolved.
The issue with opening the gate should be resolved.
The issue with Sarah disappearing should be resolved.

The effect of items have been added to their description.
The amount of MP and TP used for each skill have been added to their description.

Certain skills (I'm looking at you, Catherine.) have been adjusted, and effects added to their description.
Enemy and ally stats have been adjusted.

Dialog in specific areas have been adjusted. And I think the ending will be a bit more, like, hooking. /mindyface

Again, if something is wonky, weird, or just not working, please let me know, and I'll go ahead and fix it ASAP for you guys. :)

Nirwanda

Procrastimancer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey, after seeing your game I got the idea of releasing mine in parts as well since I won't be finishing it in time. So I asked Lunarea  and she told me that you have to post full games for the event, episodes don't count.

Thought I'd let you know.

TheAlexG

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Each chapter is a different game, set in the same universe. This is more like a prequel to a game series then anything, but each chapter to this series can stand on it's own as a game itself, which, if I read the rules correctly, is acceptable. If any moderator or judge finds this not the case, I will accept their decision, as they are the last and only to call the show. However, as it stands, considering both the thread/post was accepted, and no moderator or judge thus far has said a word, I will take that as a sign that what I have done so far is acceptable in their eyes.

However, again, should that not be the case, and they feel that I have violated any rules or terms, I will accept their decision. Though discontented, I will be a fair sport about it, should such a case arise.

TheAlexG

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Sorry to double post, but just wanted to announce that in addition to the normal game, you now have side stories you can find in the game (for two characters). Also, I realized that I didn't have a Mac, and additionally a Browser version, so those have both been added to the list as well.

Again, if anyone has any problems running the game, or run into a bug, do let me know, and I'll fix that. Besides that, cheers, and enjoy. //rmwforums.s3.amazonaws.com/emoticons/default_smile.gif

Indrah

Megane Berserker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For some weird ass reason I cannot find this game anymore in the Bday event subforum. I had to direct link from a PM. Is it just me?

Anyway, here's the vid. My biggest and very large complaint is: in a dungeon crawler, you CAN NOT ALLOW the gameplay to be so boring. And it is.  If it had been better I may have been more patient, but as it was I had no drive to continue.

Still, congrats on finishing your first game (I think) and good luck on your next project.

TheAlexG

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
For some weird ass reason I cannot find this game anymore in the Bday event subforum. I had to direct link from a PM. Is it just me?

Anyway, here's the vid. My biggest and very large complaint is: in a dungeon crawler, you CAN NOT ALLOW the gameplay to be so boring. And it is.  If it had been better I may have been more patient, but as it was I had no drive to continue.

Still, congrats on finishing your first game (I think) and good luck on your next project.

First, I'd like to thank you very much for playing Indrah. It's appreciated, and it's good to get some solid feedback on the game. This was my first project, start to finish, completing. That said, I think my biggest mistake was presumption. I made the game in such a way as I felt that there was different ways to play it. Some more effective then others, making easier or harder. I also presumed that by the way I designed it, some concepts, that people would find things by exploring, but I made a mistake in cutting them off, or making it not so easy, to force that idea, or to force the player forward. For example, in the starting room, you can get items before looking at the book, but not after, which was an obvious mistake now that i see things in action. Basically, I think I took too many risks. 

All in all, it was a great learning experience, and I appreciate all the input (I was actually taking notes while watching, hehe), so going forward, I'll be able to put this knowledge to use. 

Indrah

Megane Berserker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Even when they are harsh seeing people PLAY your game in vidoes is always good, because you realize in real time how other people tackle your game. Always a neat experience, especially when you realize you messed up somewhere (not in your case, this has happened to ME a LOT).

Congrats on the game and good luck with your projects! Glad you could take some positive stuff from this, it's always a terror to see how people will react XD

TheAlexG

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Even when they are harsh seeing people PLAY your game in vidoes is always good, because you realize in real time how other people tackle your game. Always a neat experience, especially when you realize you messed up somewhere (not in your case, this has happened to ME a LOT).

Congrats on the game and good luck with your projects! Glad you could take some positive stuff from this, it's always a terror to see how people will react XD
That was my other issue in that I wasn't able to see or get feedback during development. I was able to get some, and make changes, but in later development, I had to play the trial and error game, and see what worked for me.

That in itself was a huge mistake, but tried to use what I knew about rpg maker to make it easier. There's some things I know now that I wish I knew before starting this project (Hint: plugins and passive traits). A lot of flaws additionally was due to my ignorance of the system and what it can do (for example, the teleport at the beginning was actually due to a map change. I wasn't sure how to solve the problem I had till recently, and I didn't know TP could transfer over till now, to name a few things).

Honestly, I thought I was gonna get shredded a lot harder then that, but came out as a learning experience, and as a developer, I know that how you gotta take it. 

All in all, it was a good show, and hopefully down the road I'll make something you, and others, will be impressed with. :)

Indrah

Megane Berserker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A lot of those points you made simply come with getting used to the program, really. We all have made simp,ke errors easily corrected, you just have to be aware of them, and starting out it's near impossible to do that '3' EXPERIENCE is the word, and finishing projects is always a level up.

TheAlexG

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
A lot of those points you made simply come with getting used to the program, really. We all have made simp,ke errors easily corrected, you just have to be aware of them, and starting out it's near impossible to do that '3' EXPERIENCE is the word, and finishing projects is always a level up.
Indeed it was. Like I said, I realize that as a developer, good or bad, you gotta take every little experience and criticism as a learning experience. That, and perhaps have some thick skin. ;P

As it stands, I already have Ch. 1 in development, and due to this experience, I think it's gonna turn out a hell of a lot better then it's predecessor. :D

TheAlexG

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Update:

After careful review and study, I have gone back to the drawing board, and redone a lot of what was wrong with the game. While I do know the deadline has passed, I could not, in good conscience, leave the game as it was, and leave it at that. So I have gone back and done the work needed to, hopefully, make it that much more enjoyable. Hopefully this version is far better then it's original, while still staying the same game. If anyone has any problems with it, do let me know, and I'll go ahead and fix it. As for the actual changes:

- Most skills no longer use TP, instead using AP, or TP only.

- MP has been changed to AP

- Specials have been drastically adjusted. No longer do they take 100 TP. Instead, most specials (except for one persons), can be used at 25TP, while damage will scale up if more TP is available. In turn, this almost allows for a character to "chain" their special till it's under 25TP.

- Maps have been adjusted and scaled down to a more appropriate size, and details added.

- No longer are their any more random battles. Instead, you can now choose when you want to fight, by either  dodging or running into enemies.

- Skills have been adjusted.

- The Skill "First Aid" can now be used outside of battle.

- Enemies have been adjusted, and now carry they're own skills and abilities.

- Sounds and cutscenes have been adjusted and fixed.

- You can now gain items at any point during the start of the game. No longer are you restricted to having to gain them after the book.

- The game is now 20% cooler.

Enjoy, Test Subjects.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Stream will be live shortly with a session of the Interactive Text Adventure! Feel free to drop by!
Took a break from spriting dinosaurs to carve a dinosaur pumpkin.

Little early but to all of you that celebrate it :

Tomorrow is Halloween! I can't wait to go to Boxi Park and show off my costume! Also one of Dad's friends is staying the night, so he might get to see the show.
Here's the title-screen for the game I'm working on: :LZSgrin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FinnEver