"Done with Games"

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by GoodSelf, Aug 13, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Amarysse

Amarysse Ubiquitous Gimmick Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Oh gosh, yes. I feel this, completely. I used to be a huuuuuge player of Final Fantasy XIV's A Realm Reborn incarnation. Played it religiously since closed beta in 2013, absolutely adored it.

Then slowly, but surely, the community grew more and more obnoxious and unpleasant to be a part of -- the emphasis being on speedruns and getting things done as quickly and mind-numbingly as possible rather than actually, you know, sitting back and enjoying the game and the spectacle its encounters created. Someone attempting to speedrun the new "Deep Dungeon" content recently while I was playing -- then getting abusive and rude when the other three members of the party (including me) asked him to please stop it because there was really no point speedrunning this particular piece of content -- was the last straw for me, and I unsubscribed and uninstalled for the first time since I started playing.

Not ruling out a return at some point, but I play games to have fun, not to be yelled at by strangers for not playing the "right" way. Perhaps I just need a short break, but yeah; online player communities can be the absolute worst, even in games that are supposedly pure cooperative like FFXIV.

2. RHachicho

RHachicho Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English

So this! This is why I quit mmo's it's just a fact of life for mmo's as people get to the high levels people wanna keep people playing so they give them tonnes of boring grindy sheep to do. Therefore all the vets get super frustrated with new players who just wanna do something simple like .. i dunno .. enjoy the game.  I should know I was one of those vets XD. Eventually everything becomes about speeding through the game so you can get your 500 prismatic jewels and craft your emberbox destructinator or whatever lame ass task the devs want to give you so you won't unsub. 

It's why I'm so against grind and progression systems in online games. They inherently detract and distract from the experience of playing the game. But dev's just seem to love these as they are easy ways to keep the players playing. Because they've already invested time in the game.

It's all really obnoxious and bears a startling similarity to the principles used in pedaling addictive substances. They don't call it wowcrack for nothing lol.

Been clean for 2 years now .. never going back.

3. Amarysse

Amarysse Ubiquitous Gimmick Veteran

First Language:
    English
    It's actually a key concept of game design in free-to-play -- particularly mobile and social -- games. They use a concept called "friction" (or sometimes, more obnoxiously "fun pain") to convince people to part with their cash. They reel you in with just enough enjoyable freebie good times to get you invested in the game, then make you hit a wall of some description. The exact form of said wall varies by game -- in some cases, it's throttling the amount someone can play through an "energy" or "lives" system, in others, it's an artificial difficulty spike that, for most players, can only be overcome by paying for premium items -- but it's a wall, regardless.

As someone who has only ever made games for fun and for the joy of creativity, I'm inclined to think that any time you start letting "monetisation" (ugh, hate that word) inform your game design decisions, you're doing it for the wrong reasons. Of course, a commercial product has to break even somehow, but what happened to the old assumption that if something is good enough, it'll naturally sell well?

Actually, don't answer that, I know the answer; people have come to expect something for nothing. The Internet is partly to blame for this, but so too is the generally disposable nature of a lot of media these days, too. Charging for things these days is seen as the exception, not the rule, and that's kinda sad; I'd much rather pay a few quid for something that entertains me for a few hours than pay nothing for an ad-infested piece of garbage that is more concerned with getting my PayPal details than providing a good game experience!

4. aqua

aqua Veteran Veteran

Does that mean he's never going to touch another game as long as he lives, or that he's simply never going to seek out new ones? It'd be hard for me to say I'm just DONE with games, because even though I'm super selective about what I play, I can't read the future. I could stumble upon something new at any moment and become obsessed with it. Haha. I'm not a huge 'gamer' - except when I find something and fall madly, deeply. Then good luck breaking me away from my computer. XD

It seems like your friend is maybe just a bit jaded about games at the moment. ;;

5. UNphiltered_khaos

UNphiltered_khaos Game Dev. Artist. Veteran

First Language:
    Americanese
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Give him some good indie games and tell him to play them with an open mind. He'll come around. It sounds like he's had his fill of AAA BS.

6. SinSilver

SinSilver Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I can see someone retiring from gaming making. Unlike watching movies or TV shows you have to be active in moving the story along and ofter times they can take weeks to complete. 

Simply put they can be taxing to finish and take up a greater portion of your life to actually finish and enjoy.

7. Lymmet

Lymmet the Oddborne Veteran

First Language:
    Norwegian
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Gamer at heart, not so easily startled to quit!