"Don't Care" naming option

Alex0117

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
español
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So in the Earthbound game, when you start a new game, you name all of your characters. In the corner of the name entry screen, there is a button labeled "I don't care" that will select a random name from a list for that character, as seen here: http://strategywiki.org/wiki/EarthBound/Getting_Started I like this button because I am an impatient gamer. I want to get to the game as quickly as possible, but I don't want all the characters to be called just "A" because it's faster. For my game, the characters are named as they are introduced into the story. While the default names normally appear without any hyphens, I would like to have the option of giving characters more than one default name, so if a player doesn't like the first default name...

Last edited by a moderator:

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Alex0117 This is the official English-language forum for RPG Maker. We ask that you post in English only. It is perfectly OK if your English is rough (most of our members don't speak English as a first language), and if you don't know any English at all, then it is OK to use a machine translation like Google Translate.

I have gone ahead and done a Google Translate on your post for you this time, and cleaned up any rough edges in the translation (there weren't many, it did a good job!).

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Alex0117
which program are you using?
you posted your question in RPG Creator, which is a different program than the RMMV you placed in your profile as the primary use.
And if you are using the RPG Creator, the people on this Forum won't be able to give much help because very few people here use that program.

akoniti

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you are in fact using MV, this could be easily achieved with Show Choices like so:

name_her.PNG

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Moving this thread to RPG Maker MV Support (thanks for the catch @Andar).

@Alex0117 If MV is not the program you're asking about, just Report this post and let us know what board you would like us to move it to instead. Thanks.

Alex0117

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
español
Primarily Uses
RMMV
[QUOTE = "akoniti, publicación: 1130806, miembro: 156282"]
Si de hecho está utilizando MV, esto podría lograrse fácilmente con Show Choices así:

View attachment 164761
[/CITAR]
muchas gracias

Alex0117

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
español
Primarily Uses
RMMV
si es para MV

Featherbrain

Prehistoric Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I was looking into this the other day. There don't appear to be any plugins that add a "Random Name" button to the name input scene, which is the only "clean" way of going about this--Show Choices isn't quite the same.

Theoretically, you would achieve this by editing the "name input" functions in scenes.js and windows.js to create an extra button in the key selection, "Random" or whatever you want it to say, and add a function to randomly select from a big array of names.

I ultimately decided to put the idea on the backburner as it's too minor a detail to get distracted by, but I'd also be interested if anyone finds or creates a solution.

Featherbrain

Prehistoric Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Featherbrain Wouldn't creating a random name picker be simple, assuming you're willing to define the names it can pick from? :

Or, I may be misunderstanding the objective.

Yes, that basically works, it's just a little... clunky.

The difference is the Earthbound-style random name picker was included in the actual "name selection" scene, i.e. this scene. Imagine the RPG Maker name selection scene but instead of "Page" it said "Don't Care". When you clicked the "Don't Care" key it instantly replaced the name shown in the window, and you could click it again, make changes, whatever if you didn't like the first result. It's a bit sleeker.

But, you could definitely do it through events like you described. I'd start with an initial choice dialogue, like "Would you like to name this character?" If "Yes", go to the regular name selection scene, if "Don't Care/Choose Random)," set a random name through event like your example.

Attachments

akoniti

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
But, you could definitely do it through events like you described. I'd start with an initial choice dialogue, like "Would you like to name this character?" If "Yes", go to the regular name selection scene, if "Don't Care/Choose Random)," set a random name through event like your example.
My thoughts exactly! Combine the two so the player could either choose a name, or opt to let the game choose a random name from a list.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Yet another gaming question, i'm currently playing Last of Us 2 and want to get another game to play next but can't decide between Ghost of Tsushima, Miles Morales & Jedi Fallen Order. After the latest mandalorian i AM on a star wars kick, but i also LOVED the last spiderman game that prequels Miles Morales. Ghost of Tsushima is the bottom of my list but i heard it was AWESOME. Just want a good story & fun gameplay.
I checked out Genshin Impact gameplay out of curiosity. I can't believe it's available as a mobile game too. Smooth animation, great music, and stellar sound effects (the ambient sounds are pretty detailed).

I'm flabbergasted to see games have becoming more and more advanced. Maybe also because I'm oblivious to current trend for a long time, it almost feel like I'm being sent into distant future. xD
xDRAGOONx wrote on WaywardMartian's profile.
Your artwork is amazing!!!
:ewat:
Stream will be live shortly with a session of the Interactive Text Adventure! Feel free to drop by!
I should finish the cat video I'm editing and finish the indesign stuff. So far only 1 is done and 4 to go

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasapembuatanwebsite