Don't Fear Coding... you know more than you think.

hmnut

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I know a lot of you have no issue or fear of coding, good for you.

But I also know a lot of people in the RPG Maker community do fear coding and scripting, and for years that was me.

I recently decided I wanted to branch out of my safe RPG Maker bubble and try Unity. But when I look at their tutorials they jump into the coding and for years that's when I would jump off. But this time I said screw it, I'll take a few C# tutorial, give it a few hours and see if I can get it.

I doubt I will ever be a master coder, but it is a million times easier than I thought. NO! Not because "Coding is Easy" but because "in RPG Maker Eventing is basically coding."

Sure it's not an official "coding langue" but setting variables and logic formulas is stuff I've been doing for years. Just by building games in RPG Maker I've been "practicing" many of the concepts that come with coding, FOR YEARS!

Again I know 99% of you probably know this, but I'm the 1% who didn't, and I know there are many RPG Makers people out there who are scared to touch any game engine or even certain parts of Maker because of coding anxiety, I say take a few classes (youtube) and you'll be amazed at how natural it feels to you because of your experience eventing.

Hyouryuu-Na

Procrastinator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm one of those people who are afraid of complex looking game engines like Unity, Unreal, Godot etc. I'm so used to this simplified look of the rm editor, great community and scripts/plugins that suddenly starting something so new is a bit worrying. I can hardly navigate in Unity XD
But I'm not afraid of coding in general. In fact, I love it. I'm just scared of a new environment and having to learn something from scratch I guess... I'm a CS student (a very new one too) so I will have to face much more complex situations in the future. So I started trying to write plugins a few days ago. It took ages as I've never formally learnt JS. But as you said, the logic is the same for all languages. So whatever I learnt from C++, java and python, I can apply to JS.
Reading your post is making me want to try out Unity again XD Good for you to come out of your comfort zone and try something new ^^ I think everyone should try their hand at coding, it feels a lot more productive and fulfilling when you do something yourself.

KakonComp

Lucid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Ostinato
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I only knew it from seeing someone else also mention that events are like code macros, which makes sense once you look at that said events are referencing when they're being used.

If anything I hope your post gives hope to others who may want to try their hand at coding, even if it's only in the confines of RPG Maker.

Zeriab

Huggins!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Eventing in RPG Maker is a Domain Specific Language (DSL)
I would argue that it is also a visual language

PixeLockeT

Demon Lord Lady
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I like to learn programming, mostly C#......for some reason JavaScript eludes me and I'm not sure why it's "more difficult" for me. :kaocry:

Windows i7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I like to learn programming, mostly C#......for some reason JavaScript eludes me and I'm not sure why it's "more difficult" for me. :kaocry:
I'm going to guess it is the prototype paradigm that gets you. C# is much more object oriented. However, there has been the addition of OOP-like keywords to modern versions of JS, so you may want to look into that.

BladeRED

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have tried to learn coding with Lua and Löve2D, and i've made some mini-games like breakout, visual novel and even a platformer prototype.

However i'm not someone who enjoy coding right now. When i've started to learn about coding i've realized that i was more curious about how the code make the games functions than making code for my own need.

I have also realized that a major part of what i can do and want to do for creating video-games, i can do it without coding just with event-making for the same results or almost.

In my actual project the core mechanic is that the hero, after gained some levels, can choose a new form and evolve. I don't use any code for that x) .

That doesn't mean i hate coding though, and without any code you can't have any game, but today it is possible to do a game without habing some knowledge on programmation, because you've got the basics with many engines.

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Moving to Game Dev General Discussion, which I think is a better fit for this topic.

Tai_MT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't fear coding. I'm actively ANNOYED by it.

To put this in perspective:
I learned how to code HTML once upon a time. I hated it. Actively hated it. To format a paragraph, I had to type out more code than was strictly necessary. I needed something like 7 characters to INDENT A PARGRAPH (or... you know... I could just not type in HTML and just hit Tab).

My perspective on coding anything has been skewed like this ever since.

Could I learn to code a language? Yeah. Probably relatively easily. Do I want to do that? Do I want to code? No. Coding is insanely inefficient and convoluted. Each new programming language just seems to make it even worse.

I have no desire to type 30 lines of text just to animate 5 frames. I just don't. This is criminally inefficient.

I do not enjoy coding what-so-ever. It is insanely time consuming for the simple fact that nobody has designed an efficient programming language yet. I find it even more amusing when programmers spend a lot of time just making things more complicated, including new programming languages.

Put simply...

I prefer the "Event System" in RPG Maker. It's not as robust as I like, but it does the job. Even better is that I can copy and paste quickly and efficiently and then alter small bits. I can also instantly test anything I've evented without having to muck about at all.

But... even now...

I hate the "text codes" RPG Maker has. Why isn't this just a simple formatting box? Like say... what we have in the forums? Why do I have to type in a code to change the color of my text? Or to make the font size increase/decrease? Why do I have to type a code to insert an icon image?

Coding should REALLY only be used to program an "engine". That is... the baseline of a program someone will work with. It shouldn't be used to EVER use the program.

The entire point of coding is to "make something from scratch". If you don't have an engine, you code one. If you have one, you shouldn't have to code in it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I'm hoping to get a call October 1. They should be fully open by then.

With this, all demo dungeon graphics are done.
Eventually I need to make animations...send help.
OcRam demo project is now available at https://ocram-codes.net !!!
mzBaseBody.png added!

Ami
--- Mushroom ---

F.Knight: We runs out the food!
Hero: Anything could eat in this place?
F.Archer: It's a bunch of Mushroom over there. I wonder it's safe to eat.
F.Knight: No worries,we have to fill our inside no matter what it is.
(Hero & F.Knight Eat The Mushroom,After 10 Seconds They Collapse With Foam)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nobyde