"Don't go here yet." or Extremely Blatant Roadblocks

Discussion in 'Game Mechanics Design' started by kirbwarrior, Mar 1, 2019.

1. L.W. Flouisa

L.W. Flouisa NumeroHex Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You could do it all goofy like, and plop a giant pink cat in your way. And you have to fight the pink floofy cat like lizard if you want to get past the road block. (I prefer to keep it as a summon.)

2. GLM

GLM ブラッドシェド © 1989 POLOCOM Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    In my game the capital city of the Central Authority (Belhern) is a walled fortress city you can visit the outskirts of early on, but are not permitted to enter the city proper until much later. The idea being that you will be curious and look forward to when you have access to the advanced gunsmiths and stuff.

It's a literal "you can't go here" situation, but they're not always bad.

kirbwarrior likes this.
  3. encapturer

encapturer Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    1) In a plot&characters RPG, if the character doesn't want to go somewhere new yet, we don't go there yet. If they do want to go somewhere but they can't, the reason generally has to be seen as something the character wants to solve. (i.e. "This guy won't let me through. What can I do to persuade him? Is there another path around?) Even if the character doesn't actually pass this type of block until much later in the game, it still should be tied to plot.

2) In more freeform RPGs, if you really don't want the player to be someplace until later - tie it to some sort of powerup. You can let them try, but they will fail in a way that is much better than an invisible wall. Otherwise, use difficulty as a soft roadblock ("BeefGate") - it may be a freeform RPG, but it doesn't have to be easy.

4. ave36

ave36 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Russian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I, too, prefer adequately explained roadblocks. Examples from the first part of my game: a garrisoned gate on a road, manned by priests and inquisitors, blockading the road due to a plague and a witch hunt in progress; a ferry that does not work due to that same plague for quarantine reasons; a mountain pass guarded by a soldier who says there was an avalanche and the only bridge over a chasm collapsed; a harbormaster saying that no, there are currently no outbound ships from the island of Blanchion; two wizard guards watching over the door to a mage tower and not letting you in because you are not yet a member of their fellowship.