Door placement: need advise

Yuuka

Sleeping Flower Master
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Firstly, i apologize for my bad english here.

Generally, house or building in RPG Maker games just have one doorway/entrance if you want go to inside it. I think thats weird if ALL houses and buildings just have one side doorway.

My idea is to make another doorway from the other side of the house/building.
Here is my example:
Capture1.PNG
I made 2 more transfer player event with 'footstep' image (green circle). If we want to go inside, just step on the 'footstep' event, playing 'open door' sound effect and transfer player normally. So, we can enter the houses/buildings in 3 different way for now.

The problem is how we can make doorway from behind of the building?
Here is my opinion:
1. Do the same way to the other 2 doorway: place the transfer player event with 'footstep' or other image next to top of the roof (for example in red circle area). It works but a little weird, i think.
2. Make the roof transparent if player go behind the building so the wall with the door behind the house/building visible. Requires complex eventing to make it happen.
3. Dont make the door behind the house/building. We dont need it.

Any other opinion?

Last edited:

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
For starters, I wouldn’t put all 4 entryways on one house, perhaps only 1 or 2 as most houses do not have an exit door for all 4 directions.

But, assuming you did not intend to put all 4 on house and just want a variety on all houses... The times I’ve seen an entry placed on the upper side of a building, the developer just used a path to indicate that you could approach that building from that side, with the transfer event next on top of the end of the path, next to the building.

I’d also advise that, in my opinion anyway, this would visually work best with roofs of only 2-3 tiles high.

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The footsteps are an OK way to do it (though they might not be appropriate for poorly-traveled areas or areas without anything soft to step on), or you could suggest the door is there by showing other tiles that are around it or not around it. For example, here's a (really really rough) map that shows a flower bed surrounding a home, with fences along the paths into/out of the home to ensure no one tramples the flowers. By seeing the edge of the fence in the back of the house, the player knows he can walk further between those fence segments and eventually enter the home.

Example of Pathways.png

One other thing to consider is that it may not be necessary to suggest alternate paths into a house in this view at all, provided that you have at least one obvious pathway in front. Once the player enters a house, they will begin to explore it, and if they happen to find a second (or third or fourth) exit to the house, they will most likely use it in order to see what's there. Once they do, and they end up outside again (now in the back or side of the house), they will understand that there are multiple ways in and out. You can encourage the player to get used to this by placing, for example, a couple of clearly visible treasure chests in backyards of homes where the backyards are inaccessible from the outside (and require the player to walk into the house and walk out a second exit in order to reach the treasure). Players will still tend to use the visible entrance to get into houses that they haven't been to before, rather than trying to figure out where non-visible entrances are, but for buildings that they visit a lot, they will start to memorize and use additional entrances when it's more convenient.

M.I.A.

Goofball Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I seldom use side or rear doorways due to the "complexity" in mapping them, and also to keep things easier for the player to know where to go. In the image you will see two ways I can use side and rear entries while mapping to show the player there are other means to get into the building.

By "implying" depth, you can show that there is something behind another something. :) Using pathways also give an indicator to the player that there is something going on over/back there! Lastly, you can fence off the first "rear" door in your game and put a treasure chest or NPC in the "backyard" and have the player enter in the house through the front, and exit through the rear to teach them that there are sometimes more than one entries into a building.

I usually use the above method in the first house/building in my game. Usually there's a "go tell my kid to stop playing in the back yard and come in for dinner" quest. Then, from there on out, the player knows that the pathways behind buildings may lead to a back door. This is also a great way to hide a back door entry to a secret place by NOT putting a path.

In the image, the RED circles are rear entries with implied depth. The BLUE circle is a side entry. With some creative "shift mapping" and layering, you can accomplish quite a bit. :)

((*EDIT* Ignore the unfinished/bad mapping. I just slapped this together.))
Hope this helps!
-MIA

Attachments

• ENTRY.png
    ENTRY.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 2

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Wavelength Just fyi, that fence piece is not a fence - it is a rope ladder. The fence pieces are on the A sheet as autotiles.

MIA's map is great at demonstrating what I was meaning about implying a door in the back. I also like their suggestion of a backyard that is only accessible through the house.

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I really like what @M.I.A. did, using the outline of the roof to suggest where an alternate entry point to the house would be (in addition to laying paths leading up to it).

@mlogan Yep, fully aware those are rope ladder graphics; I was just making a super quick-and-dirty mockup to illustrate to the concept of negative space implying an entrance, and grabbed the first tile that I felt would get the point across. :) In retrospect, the choice looks really funny. :guffaw:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I use doors on the side and back a lot in my games. I use paths to indicate that you can enter there, rather like what M.I.A. has shown. I've never had complaints from players that they get confused by this. One extra thing you might consider doing is having e.g. the Item shop with a path going into the top and its sign on the side of the building. If you do that the first town the player enters, the player knows that item shops can be entered and so will be taught straight from the get go to notice how entrances are done.

Yuuka

Sleeping Flower Master
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks to everyone for the opinion.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Snarkyfork wrote on Trihan's profile.
Hey man, I saw you mention that you do MV javascript work? Just wanted to confirm it before I put you on speed dial. =)
"Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is."-Krishna
FastFood in my country is neither fast nor cheap like it's expected to be, but people still buy a lot of it. I don't want to imagine how much of it people would eat if it was.
Started finishing up my bosses and characters...I don't know how long...but its going to take long...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jekken