Doraemon - Nobita and the Four Feline Fiends: Artists, Designers, Writers, Mappers wanted!

Discussion in 'Project Recruitment' started by EsperStrong, Apr 2, 2015.

1. EsperStrong

EsperStrong Warper Member

First Language:
    Japanese
    Foreword:

Doraemon is a manga from 1969 by the late Fujiko F. Fujio, which involves a cat robot from the 22nd century riding a time machine to the "present time" to make sure Nobita, a grade schooler, winds up with a better future. Not being the most competent model himself, the future gadgets (called "himitsu-dogu", or Secret Tools) he pulls out of his 4-dimensional pocket never work as intended, and hilarity ensues. Other main characters include Shizuka, Nobita's love interest, Gian, the neighborhood bully, and Suneo, the snobby rich kid. Surely there isn't a Japanese person alive who hasn't heard of the series, but in case you haven't the following wikipedia article will be of great help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doraemon 

The anime version is roughly divided into two seasons. The former ran from 1979 to 2005 (commonly referred to as the "Oyama Version" from the VA for Doraemon, Nobuyo Oyama), while the latter has been ongoing since 2005 (called the "Wasabi Version" from the current VA, Wasabi Mizuta). Since 1980 there has been a movie produced almost every year where the 5 main characters usually go to an exotic location (ranging from alien planets to cities in the clouds) where they make friends with one-off characters and have adventures. 

While there have been countless games made for the series, one particularly interesting title is "Doraemon: Gigazombi's Revenge" for the Famicom, Gigazombi, a villain from one of the movies, sees fit to bring back various villains from the other movies, wreaking havoc on the space-time continuum. Of course, it's up to Nobita and his friends to gather the scattered himitsu-dogu and take on their revived enemies. The style is reminiscent of Kingdom Hearts, and there hasn't been a title like it since then. I'd like to change that.

Who I'd like to come on board:

Artists/Animators: Character sprites, portraits, enemy art would be the main focus. Preferably in a style similar to the Oyama series anime.

Writers: While I have a general plotline conceived, I am not the best writer, so having people well-versed in forming a compelling narrative would be great.

Mappers: Designing maps has never been a point I excelled at, so having an experienced map designer would be beneficial.

But really, anyone who has seen the series and have a general idea of what it is about is welcome to contribute. While the screenshots include Japanese, plans are underway for an English translation. 

Synopsis:

"It is a typical day for Nobita: getting another 0 on a test, getting beat up by Gian, and finding out Shizuka is off studying with class genius Dekisugi...unable to take the heat, he resorts to his usual tactic of begging Doraemon for a convenient himitsu-dogu. At this moment, they are taken in by a sudden time vortex, and find themselves in an unfamiliar room. Dormanstein, 24th century megamillionaire and villain from the first movie, appears and explains his plans for world-domination in campy villain fashion, and had summoned the children, his enemies, to bear witness. As he is about to activate his

doomsday device, it malfunctions and scatters the five protagonists into different worlds they visited in the past. Will Nobita and his friends be able to find one another and

restore the space-time continuum? Who are the mysterious Four Feline Fiends, sent out to hunt them down? The past, present, and future are in your hands..."

Game System:

JRPG format, with the five protagonists each getting their own separate story arc, which eventually culminates into a final story arc with all of them combined. The five arcs can all be played in any order, with the player being able to be in progress on multiple arcs simultaneously. Inventory is shared between all 5 arcs. In each arc, 4 characters from the movies will join the party, making the roster 25 strong.

Since Gigazombi's Revenge's battle system was reminiscent of Dragon Quest (basically similar to RPGVX's default battle) my game will conduct battle in the style of Final Fantasy, using a modified version of the Tankentai Sideview ATB script. Each character will be able to hold up to 8 "himitsu-dogu" to use during battle, which function like detachable skills that can deal damage, heal, inflict status, etc. Using these costs Dorayaki, which act as both MP and currency. Aside from these, each character has his/her own individual skill he/she can use.

The 5 Main Characters and their Story Arcs:

Doraemon

A cat-robot from the 22nd century, sent to present day to make sure Nobita and his descendants have a bright future. Winds up back in the 22nd century, only to find that Mechtopian steel troops(see movie 7) have wiped out most of the human race. 

Nobita

A lazy boy seemingly lacking in academics and athletics, yet kicks the most ass in the movies, most likely due to plot convenience. Finding himself in the kingdom within the clouds(see movie 13), he is caught amidst a conflict between the Dinosaur Hunters and the Plant People, over control of the planet's resources.

Shizuka

The token girl, who enjoys taking frequent baths, which as you can imagine leads to fanservice.(Not going to be in the game, since I don't want Chris Hansen to have me take a seat) Stuck in a mysterious land where demons run amok, she has to make use of her newfound magical powers to get back to the real world.

Suneo

The token rich kid, who isn't put in a good light in most of the movies, due to acting like any real scared kid would act in such situations. Shrunk down to an inch tall, he must rely on his wit and cunning to bring down the revived totalitarian government of Pirica, a planet inhabited by similarly short sentients. (see movie 6)

Gian

The token bully, who undergoes a change similar to Nobita which pretty much removes his negative personality traits. Marooned in the time of the Cro-Magnons, a forgotten ancient enemy silently seeks to cross paths with him.

Dekisugi

Essentially the foil to Nobita, his intelligence knows no peer. Usually shafted in terms of movie plots, his only role in the game is to act as your cursor at the character select interlude screen...or is it?

screenshott.png

screenshott2.png

screenshott3.png

screenshott4.png

screenshott5.png

2. EsperStrong

First Language:
    Japanese
    bump

3. Ironcreater2

Ironcreater2 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I would like to be a mapper, and I'll be a mapper as long as you need to.

EsperStrong likes this.
  4. EsperStrong

First Language:
    Japanese
     Thank you for your offer! I'd like to discuss further via PM.

5. Ironcreater2

Ironcreater2 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Alright then!