Downfall FES Re:Boot - Now Available!

Discussion in 'Commercial Games' started by JtheDuelist, Feb 20, 2018.

1. JtheDuelist

JtheDuelist Just a dev who actually got a game finished Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    TitleReBoot.png

Demo Synopsis.png
    Downfall FES Re:Boot is a PC remake of Downfall FES, an RPG I had made on RPG Maker Fes that was popular on Miiverse before it was close, using MV as the engine. The game takes place in a post-post-apocalyptic time in a self-sustaining underwater tower called Cetus Tower. The player plays as Amadeous, a Utopian Operative (sort of like the police of the Tower) and is thrown into the game with no other foreknowledge of the game's past events. The game's past events are told as the player plays the game in the form of collectible journals known as Data Discs- there are 27 Data Discs in all (and none of them can be missed as owning all 27 is required to reach the end of the game). Amadeous was assigned by the mysterious Operative #1 to deliver a just-as-mysterious package to a little village on the surface world. The game is his journey to deliver it.

The Demo, which was made for the 28th Birthday Release Something event, only allows players to complete the first two floors of the Tower (B20 and B19).

Demo Screenshots.png
    NewHUD1.png NewHUD2.png NewHUD3.png JPNSave.png JPNStatus.png

Demo Dowload.png
    All versions of the game (Demo, full, and Collector's Edition) can be found at: https://jtheduelist.itch.io/downfall-fes-reboot
    Princing:
    Full version - $1
    Collector's Edition - $2.99​

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  2. hiddenone

hiddenone Lurker Extraordinaire Moderator

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I gave your demo a try, but since it's so short I couldn't get a really good feel for the game. I do have a few comments on some things though.
    First thing is that you may want to look for a different way to package your game, because right now it causes crashes! :kaoswt2: I wanted to turn the music off, but if I tried to change things in the settings menu then I'd get an error. I also couldn't save, which wasn't a huge issue for such a short demo but for a full game saving is pretty important.
    setting menu crash.png
    You should also check out the order of your plugins, since currently the title screen menu shows up over the credits menu and makes it hard to actually read the credits.
    credit menu error.png

I didn't get to have enough battles to get a feeling for them, but I did find the grid patterns used to be a bit too bright. It made it difficult to read some things, so maybe either desaturating them or putting a solid color background behind them would help.

I found the Data Discs playing after I get them and while I'm walking through doorways to be actually more annoying than helpful, if I want to know the info then I look at it as soon as I get the item (so it replaying in the doorways is just a bother), and if I didn't want the info then I don't want it popping up later. Instead, why not play it right away when I get the item, and then the player still has the option of rereading it later?

This is just a minor thing that I thought was odd but isn't all that important (so don't feel like it's something you've gotta change). If UOSaDU is a robot, why doesn't he look like one at all? Even Umbra (or Lumis, can't remember) called him a 'tin can' which means he must clearly be an android, but to the player it's impossible to tell him from a normal human. You could add some more robotic features to him to make it more obvious.

Marquise* and JtheDuelist like this.
  3. JtheDuelist

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @hiddenone Thanks for the feedback. I'll try to answer your feedback as best as I can since I am not on my PC right now.

I used Enigma Virtual Box to pack it, step by step, exactly has SumRndmDde's tutorial showed, so I honestly wouldn't know what went wrong there. Maybe you know better ways I can pack it.

The Yanfly Credits thing will be completely replaced with a end credits movie at the end of the full final version, so you won't see that bug in the full version at all. It appears like that since I'm using both Yanfly's and Moghunter's plugins together (if Yanfly had a battle cry plugin, this wouldn't be the case)

Yeah, the grid pattern is a bit bright- mainly because I am still trying to figure paint.net out after dropping Microsoft Paint.

That was actually just supposed to be a contingency in case the player never reads them (plus this is how I had to handle the Discs in RPG Maker Fes since in Fes, items couldn't call events on their own). Though Disc A's use of it can be justified to explain why they are collecting them rather than just to lower gates.

Finally, as for UOSaDU, a guy's gotta keep some stuff secret for full version, right?

4. JtheDuelist

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Updated the DEMO to Version 1.1.

Changelog:
    • Fixed a typo where Amadeous accidentally said "maker sure" instead "make sure" like he was supposed to.
    • Fixed a bug where the player could not save game progress.
    • Fixed a bug where the game would crash if the player accessed the Settings menu.
    • File size has been reduced from the original 650-700MB to 534MB by deleting unused audio files.
    The demo will not contain the HUD overhaul that I have discussed with @hiddenone . This is because the demo and full version are two different project files.

5. JtheDuelist

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Now that the RSW event is done with, I have updated the post to be for the full in-development game with a link to the demo download.

6. SmashArtist

SmashArtist Lazy Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Decided to test out the game, but I've already encountered multiple problems before getting past the first map. :\

I would list them, but I think it is due to the fact that on your Downfall FES website the download link only contains the executable and not the full zip! Hopefully you can resolve this issue! I believe in you! :kaojoy:

Gonna test out the download link on this page and see if it's different!

Edit: This link has the full pack, but now it won't launch for some reason? :\

JtheDuelist likes this.
  7. JtheDuelist

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  8. SmashArtist

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    There are no errors, it just won't launch. I click on it, my mouse shows its loading and then nothing happens. :\

9. JtheDuelist

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @SmashArt Try deleting the exe and file and rextract it?

10. SmashArtist

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I replaced it with the other exe file I got from your website and now it works, no more crashing on the settings menu and now I can save! Hooray! :kaojoy:

I'll be sure to give you feedback, hopefully my criticism won't demotivate you! :kaoswt2:

JtheDuelist likes this.
  11. JtheDuelist

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Glad to hear it.

12. SmashArtist

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Alright, I've played through it! It was pretty surprised about how short it was but that makes sense since you wanted to get it out for RPG Maker 28th event! Here are some pros and cons I found while playing, don't take anything too personally, just look into it and see where you can improve! I know you can make this game even greater, mostly these problems are easily fixed! :kaoswt2:

Cons:

• Sound :
      • The water BGS is waay too loud, tone it down a bit, we can't even see the water. XD
      • The voice acting can range from intensity, try editing the sound effects so they are all at the same noise level. Most of the time they are hard to hear too
      • At the part where UOSaDU heals the party the music stops suddenly instead of having it fade out, or at least it gives that impression. Kind of strange and sudden.
      • The music feels like it changes too drastically from map to map, first we had a calming soundtrack then all of a sudden some dungeon music plays. XD Was not expecting that!
      • Are some of your music copyrighted? Just hearing some of them like the title screen made me worried, if not then you can ignore this! But best not use any copyrighted material! Unless they're just placeholders. XD
    • Visual :
      • When UOSaDU heals you there is no visual indication, like an animation played, that shows the player you've been healed, which can leave the whole conversation feeling like just some random chat between characters.
      • The arrows showing which stats have leveled up once winning a battle are very confusing. It's hard to tell the difference between arrows showing a change and arrows that don't. Maybe there wasn't an indication and I just got confused?
      • Once you beat Lumis and his buddy they just vanish which is pretty odd. Maybe at least put in a short cutscene where they run away and then disappear off-screen.
      • The visuals of the menus are a bit too distracted and flashy. Maybe tone down some things like the intensity of the green grid to bring more attention to the aspects the player needs to know about. Like options.
    • Mechanics :
      • Fortunately I only found one bug while playing : the even where UOSaDU heals you can be played over and over again, not sure if this is intentional, but if it is, maybe make it happen at a specific statue instead.
      • Having Armadeous's special 'Purify Slash' at the beginning of the game seems pointless to me. It deals less damage than the normal attack and on my first go I lost the first battle in the game because I expected the special move to be well, special, and more effective than the normal attack.

Pros:

• Sound :
      • The voice acting was a nice touch, adds more to the characters and makes the player more immersed!
    • Visual :
      • I liked the layout and look of the menus, it was definitely different from MV's default ones which was nice, the movement through the menus was very fluid!
      • The mapping was good, you didn't over exaggerate the size of anything, there was only what was necessary for the gameplay!
      • Battle HUD was nice, especially showing the enemy HP bar, those HP bars looked really cool with their rainbow flowing colors! :kaohi:
    • Mechanics :
      • The battle system feels fun and quick, no need to use potions at least not as far as the demo goes. Thankfully I won't have to spend hours to beat an enemy that has way too much HP, well balanced!
      • Dialogue was quick and short. It was filled with enough information on how the game works and story. I didn't feel the need to skip anything since the NPCs don't go talking forever for no reason! :D

Overall :
    Downfall FES Re: boot Demo is a fun short game with lots of potential, it mostly needs just some small tweeking, but it's so far been fun to play and left me wanting more! Since this is your first project on RPG Maker MV I am thoroughly impressed at what you've done, and I hope you the best at completing it! :kaojoy:

JtheDuelist likes this.
  13. JtheDuelist

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks- all of the music isn't copyrighted and I made double and triple sure, only using music from here (it came from YouFulca, and his music is free to use with credit). The HUD is different from the demo (see "Screenshots"). Purify Slash being underpowered was a Fes conversion flaw, and I plan on buffing and its TP cost. All the other cons, but infinite UOSaDU heals I've already fixed.

And
    let's just say the game's optional boss, Brjost, will quickly invert everything you know. He embodies suffering and knows just how to do it- poison, any percentage attacks that hurt a lot but can't kill, and when he's ready to end a life, a basic attack alone is sufficient enough after all of that. Not to mention he also has 6.66x the amount of health as the final boss does- Brjost in ReBoot is exactly how you feel when fighting Sephiroth in KH1...

14. SmashArtist

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Great to know! :D

I think a hard optional boss is a great idea!

15. JtheDuelist

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    UPDATE 3/26/18

Language support has been dropped, because apparently, some people say I shouldn't use Google Translate for the translations of the game...

16. JtheDuelist

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    UPDATE 4/16/18

Game is now around 70% completed.

starlight dream likes this.