Dragon Age-style crafting?

Discussion in 'JS Plugin Requests' started by Carduus, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Nekoyoubi

Nekoyoubi Plugin & Utility Developer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Sadly, knowing day-jobs all too well is my main excuse also. ;x  ~60-hour weeks (before RMMV-schtuffs) make for slow turnarounds on complicated items.

Thanks for your understanding. ;)

2. DreamX

DreamX Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I highly recommend requiring and taking advantage of independent items because it handles the creation and loading of items that don't strictly exist in the database, which is a required task for this plugin request.

You're right, as far as using Item Synthesis, this request  would require a lot of edits. It may be better to a different system altogether for the actual crafting part (but still use independent items). A good fit would be a system that allows you to select an ingredient one by one.

3. Carduus

Carduus Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    How big of a number can this system handle? I'm more of a SQL guy, but could the schematic create an 'unfinished <schematic name>', and create a dummy field that it has to match to be complete, then just skip the synthesis script? Like, it needs 2 cloth, 7 leather, 0 wood, and 2 whoopie cushions, and thus the dummy object is looking for a value of 2702. Either put 1000 x on all cloth objects and 100 on leather, etc, or have the system associate the CLOTH tag with 1000 x. 

Seems like that (with a few limits) would allow for assembly in any order. Assuming I understand the problem, which may be a big assumption before I've had my coffee.

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2016
  4. Nekoyoubi

First Language:
    English
    I have a feeling that my post didn't quite come across to DreamX as I intended, but I think the general idea was picked up.

Also, no Carduus, that's not the issue. The issue is that when you have a fire cloth, an ice cloth, and a regular cloth, while I could write the IS/Tags bridge to allow any of those items in the crafting... there's no way for you to choose that in the crafting of this particular hat, that you want to use the fire cloth. So which of your cloths would be consumed then? Make sense?

5. Carduus

Carduus Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I guess I still don't understand, but I haven't yet gotten vanilla Item Synthesis working yet, so maybe it's something basic. >.> If one is called Fire Cloth, one is called Ice Cloth, why couldn't you just pick one or the other?

6. Nekoyoubi

First Language:
    English
    Because there is no UI for it, and creating that UI is what we're talking about. It will probably make more sense if you see the actual Item Synthesis in action. You're wanting to specify a category of items that can be used instead of a single item as a part of a recipe (as it is now), but the problem is that since it doesn't expect to use anything more than the item it's asking for specifically, it has no way to know which item (if you have multiple that match the criteria) you're wanting to use. That is, without building a new secondary selection UI. I thought about building that UI (and I'm sure I will eventually), but a.) I hate implementing UIs in RMMV, b.) I would think you'd want to make sure you could display descriptive data about the item (so it wouldn't be just a selection box, for instance), and c.) I haven't monkeyed around with halting the creation process for that selection yet, so I have no idea how hard that's going to be, but I doubt it'll be breezy.

Carduus likes this.
  7. Carduus

Carduus Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Aha! Shows me for not lurking moar. Thank you.

8. Carduus

Carduus Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It appears Nekoyoubi hasn't been on the site in over a month, and I'm a little worried RL took precedence, as it does from time to time. :(  Anyone else have any interest or inclination towards writing something like this?

9. Carduus

Carduus Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Alright, it appears now that both DreamX and Nekoyoubi have had RL get in the way. It happens! Is there anyone else interested in trying to implement this?

10. Jeremy Cannady

Jeremy Cannady Coldfire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    (PS no double posting)

Lemme try to see what you are saying:
    You want a system to craft items that have a base item type requirement.
    For example you need 2 leather but it doesn't matter what cloth exactly and say 3 wood also using whatever metal you would like.
    Say this recipe made a simple bow. By using ash wood you gain more agility and say by using wolf leather you add a +2 to your hp stat.

Now what I would do is to make the base ingredients in the rpg maker item page.

So you would make : wolf leather, deer leather and so forth. In the tag you would describe it as "leather" then you wolf put the specific crafting bonuses you would gain by using that ingredient as well.

That would make all your base ingredients.
    Then you would need to make your basic items. For example simple bow would be a regular item but in tags you can put what the base items are and quantity you would need to craft it. Simple enough I think.

The next step would be to make a script that has recipes (that you learn from w/e method you like) and slots.

In the slots you would click on it and it would go to your inventory and you would select a base ingredient.

Once you have all the slots filled it then makes a new item with the stats you get from using special items.

The only problem I can think of is when you have to add the new items you made into the JSON files.

I think most of it is doable. The dynamic data is the only issue I see. But I think Double X has a solution for that.

Carduus likes this.
  11. Carduus

Carduus Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    To be fair, I waited three plus months. :p  

The system as-implemented in Dragon Age: Inquisition is basically a mix of Yanfly's Item Synthesis, Item Upgrade Slots, and Item Category Tags (EDIT: And possibly the Augmented Additions thing). What doesn't exist is a UI for adding multiple ingredient categories (the sword requires 3 leather, 2 wood, 4 metal) to get a final product in one step, rather than just augmenting a base thing over and over again. 

Look above in the thread for some of the issues and pitfalls that Neko and DreamX were facing, as I'm not quite JS-savvy enough to understand the details of the issues. 

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2016
    mlogan likes this.
  12. Carduus

Carduus Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well, developer upon developer has fallen before this behemoth and I believe it still lies untackled. Is anyone else willing to try to code this?

13. Jeremy Cannady

Jeremy Cannady Coldfire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I might try it out. However there are some powerhouse scriptwriters that might already have something like it.

14. Carduus

Carduus Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Let me know if you do. I've already had Neko and DreamX start and stop already.

15. Carduus

Carduus Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    No one yet has been able to do this. Any intrepid coders want to try?

16. Carduus

Carduus Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Does anyone know of anything existing that is similar? It appears I'm not going to get my wish.

17. Zack Phoenix

Zack Phoenix Artist Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Maybe coders would be more willing to try for some sort of compensation.

18. Carduus

Carduus Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I have no idea what's even appropriate. As an unemployed father of two, paying someone in the hundreds isn't in the cards.

19. Zack Phoenix

Zack Phoenix Artist Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I totally understand - I wouldn't be able to make a call either. But you could head to the commercial section where people offer their services for a price and see what this sort of request usually costs :rwink: