BenSD

Could be anybody
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
As a general statement, I enjoy Dragon Quest games a little bit more, I think...

But some of those FF games are just so good (I'm lookin' at you FF6), they get the win for me.

deus69xxx

Ultima Ratio Regum
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
final fantasy is about the whole story, which is most of the reason i play RPG's, so they get the win here. i cannot discount dragon quest though, as there IS a generally overarching story to be told, they're just notably... random when getting there. (DQ3 is a perfect example of that).

final fantasy's are usually just... more in depth. i love it.

Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
How can I possibly choose? These are literally my two favorite games.
Although I VERY much prefer the earlier ones. ( I-VI )
I've played DQ1 for Nintendo several times and FF1 for nintendo several times.
I'm just too busy trying to work on my own game to have time to play any of the rebuilds or fan games.

FirestormNeos

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
TgwoYr9.png

I should probably play at least one of each of them at some point. Problem with Final Fantasy, however, is that the one I'm interested has two versions; one version that hasn't been fully released yet, and another that's aged extremely poorly.

BenSD

Could be anybody
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I should probably play at least one of each of them at some point. Problem with Final Fantasy, however, is that the one I'm interested has two versions; one version that hasn't been fully released yet, and another that's aged extremely poorly.

If you're into a more retro-style game, I think FF6 aged reasonably well, has a great story, is more representative of RPG Maker-style games, and I've always liked it more than 7 anyway. Just sayin'.

FirestormNeos

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you're into a more retro-style game, I think FF6 aged reasonably well, has a great story, is more representative of RPG Maker-style games, and I've always liked it more than 7 anyway. Just sayin'.
Huh. It does look like they've fixed the Steam port since I last checked.

I'll look into it.

What would this thread recommend as the entry-point/contender/"RPG-Maker homework" from the Dragon Quest series?

Philosophus Vagus

The drunken bird dog of rpg maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Dragon Quest all the way, I've played...most of the Final Fantasies up through 12, and while some are better than others (Final Fantasy Tactics is the diamond that shines brighter than anything else) Dragon Quest has always been my favorite rpg series. It's just more fun overall to me and actually replayable (while most final fantasies, again aside from Tactics) to me as well.
What would this thread recommend as the entry-point/contender/"RPG-Maker homework" from the Dragon Quest series?
V is my personal favorite (and also on the retro side of time stylistically coincidentally), got to collect all the monsters and also I just always loved the storytelling from the perspective of an actual family adventuring together rather than just some random kid off on his own because actually decent parents just don't have hardly any representation in video games for some reason.

Fionn23

Eternal Noob
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Final Fantasy V introduce me to traditional jRPGs. I just became in love with the job system as a kid.

BlackGoldSaw

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've not actually played any Dragon Quest games, but Final Fantasy regardless. I'm currently replaying Final Fantasy X for the first time in 20 years and loving it.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I like both, though it depends on which game you ask me about. For instance I didn't care for FF!2 or DQ6, and liked DQ5 and FFX. So both have good and both have bad games in them.

C Frost

Level 81 Procrastinator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
While I'm actually really up and down on FF as a series (there are really only 2 games, IV and XIV, that I would call truly "great" and then a handful of others that are "good", and the rest either "meh" or I haven't played them), I still have to go with FF. I couldn't get into DQ games the (admittedly few) times I've tried to play one - they just weren't my cup of tea really. But I obviously respect both series for the groundwork they laid; pretty much everything comprising the core idea of what a "JRGP" is traces back to either DQ, FF, or both.

Ami

World Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV
my 1st game is Final Fantasy 1 in GBA, so i choose FF

never play Dragon Quest Series, but i'll try if i can

Silenity

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Final Fantasy but I do like DQ. I just haven't had as much exposure to it as I have FF and its spinoffs.

freakytapir

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Final fantasy.
Hard. I replayed all of those multiple times.

I mean, I played the last DQ, up to the point I got tired of it. (Somewhere after the point you get turned into a fish). But the generic ... everything just started to grate. Except Silvando. He's great.

Shikamon

The Fateless One
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I prefer DQ because how it feel like reading fable before sleep. It doesn't have flashy CGI movie or deep worldbuilding like FF games but DQ games has their own charm that cannot be found in other JRPG.

It's also have very consistent gameplay so I don't need to learn a lot of new mechanic each series while FF always feel like bit experimental each series and sometimes hit and miss.

FrigidGaze

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Like many, Final Fantasy 7 was the first real jRPG I ever played--and coloured my expectations of what an RPG should be, I think. And growing up, for the longest time I remember shying away from battle systems that were fully first person like classic Dragon Quest, and only wanting to play games with fully visible characters.

And I'm not quite sure when the shift happened--but on a whim I recall playing Dragon Quest IV on the DS, and then slowly getting hooked on that series, too, learning to appreciate its far more classical approach to an RPG adventure and appreciating the whimsical, fairy tale-esque charm a lot of the stories from the DQ series brought.

So--I guess to make a long ramble short, I slowly learned to appreciate both of them over time, and am entirely grateful that in a world where Final Fantasy is constantly reinventing itself game after game, Dragon Quest is like, the old, reliable pal you can go back to whenever you want some classic, turn-based goodness.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

ScreenShot_8_19_2022_2_3_18.png
FINALLY got the mood system in the game during battle. Since the game is called Panic Attack, I figured you should have certain moods present including Panic. so the main 3 or Hype, Depressed, and Anxious. Panic is only when stunned.
Red_V2.png
Red's design is finally finished (his hair is blue on purpose, it's a joke!). Out of all of the compulsory party members, he spends the most time with you. Just like the character he's based on, he presents himself as a simple person who only wants to help others, but there's obviously more to him than meets the eye.
I drew the cover for my new book. I don 't like to entrust this work to someone else )

WM8Xp2VYvg8.jpg
So if I wanted to share little video clips of my game on here... without using youtube... what would be the most ideal way to do that? FWIW, I use Mega a lot to upload videos and just share the links with my friends.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tinoy_C