Dragon Warrior Monsters 2 (2012)

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by hyde9318, Jul 20, 2012.

1. hyde9318

hyde9318 RMC Coordinator Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Characters

Cobi

Cobi is the oldest child in his family. He has always loved helping his father out when it came to working with monsters. It was quite often that he could be found watching local monster masters training just outside the town limits as he was growing up. When he was told that they would be moving to a new home, it was the fact that their new home had it's own monster tournaments that made him excited. He wanted so badly to travel on his own and become one of the greatest monster tamers of all time, but his father wouldn't allow it. Cobi's Father knew from past experiences how dangerous monsters could actually be, and it was his undying love for his son that made him hold Cobi back. Even with this fact, Cobi still helps his father out on their monster farm so that he can at least be close to the monsters that he loves so much.

Tara

Tara is the younger sister of Cobi by almost two years. She shares her brother's dream of taming monsters, but not quite in the same way. She loves her life on her family's monster farm and hope to one day have her own farm. She loves to care for monsters, in in return, they love being around her. Where as her brother can sometimes be very tough and crude, Tara is loving and sometimes childish. But dont let her childish manner fool you. When she gets angry or gets in the mood for competition, she can be quite the force to be reckoned with. Tara is very close to her parents, but mostly to her mother. She is a mama's girl, through and through.

[​IMG]

Features

- Over 300 monsters to tame and raise to battle your enemies.

- Multiple worlds to travel to throughout the story, some even having their own sub-stories.

- An in-depth breeding system, to allow the player to breed their monsters to become even stronger.

- Full monster tournaments to take part in to test your skills.

- Much, Much, MUCH more!

[​IMG]

Screenshots

Note that only the last picture has the actual Cobi sprite. The other screenshots were taken before I had a sprite for him.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Team

Hyde - Team Leader, Main Designer

Reisen - GFX Department Leader

MobyChan - Scripting Department Leader, Beta Testing Leader

Follow this link to see who all else is working on this project or even join on to the team and work with us.

DWM Production Team

Also, be sure to check out my Development Blog, of which is mostly dedicated to the production of this particular game.

[​IMG]

Want to support DWM2?

Grab our support bar today!

[​IMG]

Code:
    [url="http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/3387-dragon-warrior-monsters-2-2012/#entry36559"][img=http://i.imgur.com/JwbrQ.png][/url]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2012
    ShinGamix likes this.
  2. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    I will approve this but you have 48 hours to read the Tagging Guide and modify your topic. Please follow the keywords exactly, especially the first BOLDED part about the first tag as prefix. Thank you.

3. hyde9318

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oh yeah, sorry. My first two tags ran together and I didnt realize it.

4. Fafnir

Fafnir And yet, these hands will never finish anything. Veteran

A giant plug? Lol.

This looks promising. I wish you best luck on it.

5. hyde9318

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Lol.

And thank you.

6. antega34

antega34 Anthony Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Yay! I've been looking forward a Dragon Quest game on RPG Maker VX Ace, especially the monster series. Hope this turns out as great as I expect it to be! :D

7. hyde9318

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well, have you ever played the original DWM2? It was on the Gameboy Color and came out in 2001. I am hoping to do the original great justice, while also adding in MANY new features to keep the players busy even longer than the original did.

8. antega34

antega34 Anthony Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Ya, I have played every single DQ Monsters game from Dragon Warrior Monsters to Dragon Quest Monsters Joker. The only ones I havent played were DQ Monsters 1+2 for the playstation and DQJoker 2. Also, are you planning on making your game have a 4 member battle party like the new Terry's wonderland 3d, or stick to the original 3 vs 3 monster battles?

exoticrings likes this.
  9. hyde9318

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    3v3. Terry's Wonderland was a wonderful remake, but it did way too many things wrong in my book. First of all, I can't stand when companies remake 2D tiled games with 3D renders, specially when all of the 3D renders look fairly crappy (bad textures, clipping, outlines messed up, etc.). Terry's Wonderland was a solid idea that really wasn't planned out enough. However, I guess that within a few years, they plan to do the same thing with DWM2, which was my favorite of all the DWM games. This may make me happy if they do it right, but will make me very sad if they dont. We will just have to wait and see.

However, I am going to give people the chance to relive DWM2 in it's original 2D Tiled format, just with better graphics and more stuff to do. If you take a look at my blog, that provides a much more detailed look at the game during it's development. And the second blog post will be coming out fairly soon too!

10. antega34

antega34 Anthony Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Well I haven't played Terry's wonderland only seen videos, so I can't say much about it. But I am still a big fan of the DQ series and the DQ monsters series, and I'm really looking forward to your game. Please if you need anyone to beta test or something let me know, i will be very glad to do so.

I do agree with the 3d thing, I wish companies would focus on the oldschool and classic 2d sprites and graphics which i prefer much more over 3d, but I can understand why companies do the change because of 3d being the more modern route due to many players nowadays not judging games simply based off of their graphics and not the game itself. its a sad but true part of gaming today.

11. hyde9318

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah, graphics do take priority a lot of the time in modern games. But that is why I am so attracted to RPGMaker. It allows designers of all kinds to go back to the roots of RPGs and make whatever they wish.

And as for testing, I dont see how that would be a problem. I would be happy to have you on as a tester. Just make sure to check out the link in the original post every once in a while so you have up to the minute information on what is going on. Of course, I will be updating this thread as well rather often, but not as detailed as either the Dev Team thread or my Blog.

EDIT: Added a support bar to the original post for anyone who wants it.

exoticrings likes this.
  12. antega34

antega34 Anthony Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Agreed, I love RPG maker because of their sprites. And thank you so much, I definitely love beta testing games, especially this one which i have high hopes for. Thanks again!

13. .notsafety

.notsafety Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I have spent like 600 hours+ on DW2:TA, so this has immediately piqued my interest lol

I'll be looking forward to see how closely you stick to the original with all of the numerous features like breeding, skill combining, recruiting, magic key worlds, etc. etc.

exoticrings likes this.
  14. hyde9318

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well .Notsafety, I have awesome news and bad news. Good news is that the original breeding system is being brought back through some amazingly complicated script systems, as well as recruiting (even through the use of meats and items to make a monster happier), the monsters farm, and even multiple magic worlds to travel to. Bad news is, I am ditching the Random world generator. Yeah, there wont be an endless amount of random worlds you can explore by finding different magic keys. However, to remedy this, I will be adding in quite a few fully mapped worlds, each containing their own sub-storyline so that you have an actual reason to explore the entire world. Then, on top of that, through the use of large game patches, I will be releasing multiple expansion backs after the game's full release. Each expansion will give the player a few new side-worlds to explore. But the main feature of each expansion will be a single large world with it's own storyline. And I am not meaning some small expansion with a simple story, I am meaning worlds around the size of the Sky World or Ice World, and deep-stories each dealing with their own bit of Dragon Warrior/Quest Lore.

For example, one expansion idea I had (but probably wont decide if it will become real or not until much later) deals with the rise of a Demon Lord of whom even Darke trembles before. When this Lord takes over Darke's empty throne, it is up to the player to stop him from doing the unthinkable (which I am not going to tell you, because it would ruin it).

Also, I plan to give the player quite a bit more to do during the main quest other than just go from point A to point B, like in the original game. I would like to give the player side-quests, mini-games, and even a chance of allowing the player to have his/her own farm towards then end (which would allow them to decorate it, run it, and make it grow)(so a simple simulation bit added in for a bit of extra flair). But, I will not add things just for the sake of adding them. Everything will be blended into the game so that each feature feels like it belongs where it is.

exoticrings likes this.
  15. SuperNurse

SuperNurse RPG RN Member

First Language:
    English
    Wow, I remember playing these two games when I was a kid. Can't wait to see the progress.

16. .notsafety

.notsafety Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    that sounds great. I definitely approve of not using the random-generator, since that thing is just...well, bad.

more story-line based worlds sound awesome, too. I hope you meet your goals for this remake!

17. hyde9318

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oh, and a note for anyone who remembers the old games, this is a single version. I realize the original was two different versions, but i have decided to combine them. All monsters will be available throughout the game, not just a set bunch. This game is called Cobi's Adventure, a play on the original titles (Cobi's Journey, Tara's Adventure).

And as for progress, I am just about to send the beta demo to the testers, and then when they are done and bugs get fixed, I will have a public demo for everyone.

I am finishing up some maps, balancing the database a bit more, and waiting for the monster farm and taming scripts to get finished so I can implement them.

The public demo will most likely go through the end of the Oasis World. However, the players will still get a preview of some of the new side-quests, and a few of the other new features. That is right, the new features are available pretty much from the start.

exoticrings likes this.
  18. antega34

antega34 Anthony Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Also another question, are you going to make custom sprites for the monsters (seems too hard IMO) or use sprites from some games (like those of the playstation DQ Monsters)?

19. hyde9318

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well, it sounds lazy, but sprites from DWM1+2. I would have liked to do custom, but after about two weeks, I had four done to how I wanted them. So ripped sprites it is. Sorry if that disappoints anyone.

exoticrings likes this.
  20. antega34

antega34 Anthony Veteran

First Language:
    English
    No its fine, I liked the sprites from that game and was trying to rip some myself for a side project maybe. But ya just wondering since i think it would be to hard to make custom sprites for every single monster in the game. If you need help looking for sprites from the game, please ask me, i have seen a few spritesheets for the game, mainly this one:

http://spriters-resource.com/psx_ps2/dqmonsters12/charset1.png

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2012