Dragonfly Summer Olympics

Discussion in 'Summer Fun Minigame Contest' started by Yato, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Yato

Yato (aka Racheal) Veteran

[​IMG]
    Download: [LINK] (8.8 MB)

[​IMG]
    Garret Ardean received a large donation of money from a mysterious organization called Dragonfly Studios. Looking upon the large sum, he knew there was only one thing he could do: host a Summer Olympic Games in their honour!
    He gathered the best of the best from the world of Ethereal Dreams and Castle Chase to pit them against each other in four exciting sports. His plans went awry when another team appeared on the register list without his consent.
    Who were these mysterious players, and did Garret care enough to stop the games? The answer is no, the games had to go on!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hailing from the lands of Silvania, the Ethereal Dreams team is poised and ready to take the event by storm! Play as Phylip in Archery or Kix in Hurdles.

[​IMG]
    Princess Logelin has dragged the best she could find from her surrounding kingdoms and is ready to kick some butt! Play as Erol in the Discus throw or dance your way to victory with Skyler and the Royal Hahms.

[​IMG]
    Where do they come from and why is one of them red? These questions and many more are not about to be answered anytime soon, but one thing's for sure--This is the team to beat!

[​IMG]
    Aim for the Gold in all four events. Most importantly, HAVE FUN!
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    CREDITS

Art
    Makio-Kuta

Logo Designer
    Fictional01 / Alyssa K

Scripts
    Racheal

Sound Effects
    Enterbrain

Music
    Sports Theme by Stargenx
    March in D by Beethoven (via http://musopen.org)
    Had to cut a couple things that we were originally planning (team select, story mode) due to time, but we'll be adding them after the contest is over. Please enjoy : )

P.S. The "action key" is Space, Enter, or Z, and O is the prompt for the action key in synchro.

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2013
    Acetonide, sabao, Apple and 6 others like this.
  2. Des

Des timefantasy.net Veteran

First Language:
    American
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    doop doop we have a winar

edit: not saying this is a judge :p yet

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2012
  3. Chaneque

Chaneque Prince of Strange Things Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    O.O This looks awesome. Play time!

This game is dangerously addictive :D The only sport I haven't won yet is the hurdles. It takes a few tries to get used to most of the sports, but they're all really fun. Good work to the Dragonfly Studios.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2012
  4. Volrath

Volrath Knight in Sour Armor Degica

First Language:
    English
    Wow, great work. I'm always impressed with the amount of art that goes into anything you guys put out. This time, you basically made a flash game on RPG Maker.

5. Stoic

Stoic Game Producer Degica

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    These minigames are amazing presentation wise. Fun too. I was able to win the Archery and Synchro consistently but the Discus and Hurdles proved a challenge.

6. Yato

First off, thanks all of you for the nice comments. : )

@Despain: We'll have to wait and see that one.

@Kumori: Yeah, hurdles can be a tough one. I very rarely win myself, but Makio is usually pretty good at beating it. I might yet tone it down a smidge? I'll wait for more feedback before I do though. When you say get used to, did you find the instructions insufficient to know what to do without experiencing it? or just because it was new?

@Volrath: When you have an artist on the team who just loves the characters and loves to draw them, lots of art tends to be produced. And it's funny you say that, because I think "like a flash game" is how I described how I was thinking it should look during planning.

@Artbane: I'm glad we could hit on both presentation and fun. Balance of the computer players has been an unexpected hurdle to face. Like I said above, might still tweak it a bit.

7. Acezon

Acezon Om Nom Nom Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    The gameplay was very fluid. I didn't encounter any bug on my side. The graphics were really pretty. Nice game!

EDIT:

Is it okay to use some of your scripts as long as a credit you? I've been eyeing on the game selection menu. :D

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2012
  8. Zeramae

Zeramae It's okay by me Member

First Language:
    English
    @Racheal

I wouldn't tone down the Hurdles; once I finally beat it after a few tries it made the victory that much sweeter.

This was probably my favorite one! I hope judges agree.

9. Chaneque

Chaneque Prince of Strange Things Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I just couldn't hit the two arrow keys fast enough so I was really, super slow, but I'm not very good at minigames. The Discus took a few tries to get right, because I couldn't really understand the instructions without playing first.

10. Yato

@Acezon: That is good to hear, thanks. I have no problem with anyone using any of the scripts (with credit), but I don't know how useful/user-friendly they will be outside this application. They weren't coded with reuseability in mind.

@Zeramae: All right. I wasn't sure if it was swinging on the side of too hard since I know I can barely beat it sometimes and everyone else seemed to be having difficulties. But if people enjoy the challenge, then I am more than happy not to fight with trying to tweak it.

@Kumori: Don't feel bad, I'm really bad at bashing buttons mini-games myself. It's a lucky day when I finish first in that event. And discus was a hard sport to explain. I know when I was describing my idea to Maki, I had to stand and show her what I meant because I couldn't describe it in words.

11. RyanA

RyanA Happy Cat Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Wow, this was very fun! :3 I loved the art and thought the minigames were fun themselves! I wanted them to be longer though, and there be more of them 3:< But I saw that you will be adding new things to this later, so I look forward to it very much :3

12. T.Bit

T.Bit Labyrinth Explorer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oooh! So much fun. Makes me miss the Castle Chase gang so much more.

13. servantb7

servantb7 Servantb7 Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Very nice. Excellent work

14. Stoic

Stoic Game Producer Degica

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Google has game on their main page that's almost an exact replica of your hurdles game. :p

Oh and congrats on winning.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2012
    Helladen likes this.