Drawing sprites by hand? has anyone tried it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
lol i was thinking about drawing the sprites for my game, by hand, probably take a long time though ~,~ has anyone ever tried it? i was thinking if i do i would probably make a template and then add it to the generator, idea of doing it, is i can make each character look as i wish, rather then try to get them right,
given though it would probably take me good while, as i really go into detail with my art, (i drew my avatar, so just a example)

but really how hard do you think it would be?

(sorry if i got the forum wrong i could not work out were to put this as im not really asking for help i just want to talk about it)

Zreine

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
Yup, it takes time, especially if you don't do it in the rtp style because then you have to draw sprites for every NPCs so the style don't clash. The best way to save time is to draw the templates (naked body without features) then on a different layers add the clothing, hairs, etc. That way you can change the appearance of a character just by hiding/showing different layers. It's the most convenient way in my opinion.

Unfortunately I don't have any exemple to show you, I deleted the few ones I did because I decided that I wanted my character to be taler than one tile and started over. :rswt

Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yup, it takes time, especially if you don't do it in the rtp style because then you have to draw sprites for every NPCs so the style don't clash. The best way to save time is to draw the templates (naked body without features) then on a different layers add the clothing, hairs, etc. That way you can change the appearance of a character just by hiding/showing different layers. It's the most convenient way in my opinion.

Unfortunately I don't have any exemple to show you, I deleted the few ones I did because I decided that I wanted my character to be taler than one tile and started over. :rswt
lol i don't blame you there, if i had my perfect way, i would be making my all my characters scale, come to think of it i don't think that would be too hard if i am drawing each one, though i think i would have to install them into the game somehow so that the player could make there own character,

Zreine

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
lol i don't blame you there, if i had my perfect way, i would be making my all my characters scale, come to think of it i don't think that would be too hard if i am drawing each one, though i think i would have to install them into the game somehow so that the player could make there own character,
It's possible to scale your character to different highs and body shapes, but I don't think you'll be able to put them in the game's character generator. They wouldn't fit the format the generator use. I think you would require a plugin to do what you want to do. Now I say that, but I really have no idea, in the game I am working on the player can't make their characters and I don't use the generator, so I never really looked for how it's done.

Last edited:
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's possible to scale your character to different highs and body shapes, but I don't think it you'll be doable to put them in the game's character generator. They wouldn't fit the format the generator use. I think you would require a plugin to do what you want to do. Now I say that, but I really have no idea, in the game I am working on the player can't make their characters and I don't use the generator, so I never really looked for how it's done.

yeah i was thinking that my self i have been able to add a few things to the generator, though nothing bigger then the original's ^^:

RachelTheSeeker

Suddenly, a summer breeze...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I mean, I've wanted to pixel up some lineart I've scanned before. I managed a decent enough battler sprite for an acquaintance's event game; how hard could it be, especially as I tend to swing 8-bit-adjacent for my assets these days?

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
i was thinking if i do i would probably make a template and then add it to the generator
From my experience, adding the generator part is way much harder than actually just draw your character.

dragoonwys

Freelance Illustrator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you are familiar on adding parts to generator, the only hard part is how much time you need to make the art for it.
Unless you are going to use those same parts repeatedly for other characters and NPCs, its just more time saving and efficient to draw unique character sprites. Because if they aren't for the Generator, you'll have less work on formating the things to work right.

Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
From my experience, adding the generator part is way much harder than actually just draw your character.
i have been playing around with the program for a few days now (made a back up of it first time i thought i could start changing the sprites) took a few goes but got it going in the end, though i have not tried to add a full hand drawn picture to the generator yet, it dose not like half the photoshop alters i do, so thinking i need more practice with that, good thing i learn fast haha,

Because if they aren't for the Generator, you'll have less work on formating the things to work right.
yeah i am starting to think i should just go with choose a race and you get to choose a 1 of say 3 or 4 characters, in said race, then you go to there home city ~,~ still got to work out how to do that though haha, got to try and remind my self not to reach too far,

Lilly

Joy Bringer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think the creator of Black Crystals did that.

KazukiT

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I made my own sprites in my first and second game because I wanted them to look like my own sprites. Not to knock against the MV sprite style, but it looks a bit too cutesy and I get an creative dissonance when I see my art and the MV spritestyle in the same game.

J-G

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can always use the external generator and simply apply your own template. Of course you will have to modify the parts to fit into your custom template. Which is rather easier then making a custom sprite. So if you draw your template, then this could work for you.
That's what I'm currently doing. I make my sprites as custom but at the same time I make each part in layers and save them to add to external generator to use with other sprite combinations.

BK-tdm

Manga Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It takes too much time, specially if you're into details as spriting and pixel art is about conveying the image with unnecesary details and a limited range of colors and this may clash with your artistical approach.

You can try the "make a template then paste clothes/hair on upper layers" approach, since your own style would have to apply to every character (including enemies) to avoid art dissonance, keep in mind though that you will have to do this with every random bystander, shopkeeper, soldier, farmer... etc which includes the clothing and accesories, theres a reason we dont see that many "tall sprite" games even with the rtp style, custom graphical assets is super time consuming, wish you the best of luck if you take on this task!

Personally i like the RTP a lot so when i sprite i do it on that style as to adjust to the existing assets instead of replacing everything to adjust to me and as much as id like to make my own character busts i know how much time it would take.

Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It takes too much time, specially if you're into details as spriting and pixel art is about conveying the image with unnecesary details and a limited range of colors and this may clash with your artistical approach.

You can try the "make a template then paste clothes/hair on upper layers" approach, since your own style would have to apply to every character (including enemies) to avoid art dissonance, keep in mind though that you will have to do this with every random bystander, shopkeeper, soldier, farmer... etc which includes the clothing and accesories, theres a reason we dont see that many "tall sprite" games even with the rtp style, custom graphical assets is super time consuming, wish you the best of luck if you take on this task!

Personally i like the RTP a lot so when i sprite i do it on that style as to adjust to the existing assets instead of replacing everything to adjust to me and as much as id like to make my own character busts i know how much time it would take.
i have started doing the templates for it, ill be uploading each as i finish them,
$NYMPHt-template2.png

this is one of the first templates i have made so far, other then a small graphic bug that im gathering is the bottom of a foot, in game, its working so far, though its not finished yet, a few of these are just flipped from the ones that are done,

my plan, as you said is to take the template, store it in PDF, and make a bunch of different clothing, hair, and so on, also now that im thinking about it also the eyes, as per my style, i cant really do the ears separate, as there connected in the line art to the jaw line ~,~ though i could probably make a exception considering you cant really see that line, i could even make a underlay for the ears though i think ill just do the heads like i am,
to save time i can also simply make the template for each humanoid body type and then layer on each non human part with photoshop,

Attachments

Holder

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
It does take a lot of time but it is worth it in the end. Personally I'd not focus on doing generator parts when you first start, you'll run into a lot of layering issues and incompatible parts which will set you back.

If you're spriting them then try something like Graphics Gale where you can see the animation as you edit, that'll help spot motion problems before you import into RM.

alraune

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Not as of right now, but back in the day I used to sprite with a mouse. Since I stopped spriting, and thus using my mouse more precisely, I kinda lost my touch with it.

But now that I've been drawing with a tablet for 6 years, I can easily and safely say that if I were to sprite again, I would probably hand-draw them.

Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It does take a lot of time but it is worth it in the end. Personally I'd not focus on doing generator parts when you first start, you'll run into a lot of layering issues and incompatible parts which will set you back.

If you're spiriting them then try something like Graphics Gale where you can see the animation as you edit, that'll help spot motion problems before you import into RM.
downloading Graphics Gale now, though from what i can see so far, i dont think i can use hand drawn sprites in it?
ill have a look at it though,

the way im doing the sprite sheets is, the one i uploaded earlier, small graphic designer trick, i change the hue, to light bright blue (220), 100% hue, and lastly turn the B/W contrast up to +80 so there is hardly any black left, after that i can print them, draw the clothing, and when i scan them back into the computer, i scan in black and white only, (line art not colored) gets rid of all the blue lines,
not something i do normally with my own work, though when designing clothing it makes it really easy and quick,

to tell the truth the only part that's taking time, is adding color, as i use copic markers, or color pencils,

planning on having different types of clothing and armor, though i still trying to work out a method for easy player fashion change, preferably with items or job change ~,~ i would rather items, that was a bit off topic...

Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
if anyone is interested, i have completed the base template for this sprite now,
$Nymph Female template.png

just saying, she is a large sprite, though the Nymph race in my story, is similar to Halflings, though in my race law, halflings are basically human, other then there size, and a few other small things,
well nymphs are basically the same to elves but are of the Fey, something else about Nymphs, is that they all have blue eyes, but there eye color is able to change depending on the magic they use, but its only temporary,
though most would just look at them and think they are a child elf, or even a small elf,

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@PrideOfTheForbidion General Dis ussion is not for detailed examination of specific resources but for broad themes which affect the making of games.

If you require further feedback, please post a thread in Resource Support.

I am therefore closing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

welp, the stock market went down by 7% because of corona today. Time to buy stocks?
Man, being able to edit my game WHILE testplaying it is like the most convenient thing EVER. Thank you, MV...it even makes up for the OGG thing. Well, almost.
Back in the old days, long before I was born, salted crisps - or potato chips, for you yanks - came unsalted and had a little pouch of salt to manually shake on it. Of course, things are more efficient now, but Walker's still brought back the old 'Salt 'N' Shake' style a couple years ago. Dunno why, but if I had to guess, I'd say it's because the nostalgia crowd were getting salty.
Guys I just want to sit around and work on my game! *gets lots and lots of money shoveled at him* Game, I don't recall a game. What game? :LZSexcite:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zths