Dreaming Mary (Sidescrolling Adventure Game)

Discussion in 'Completed Games' started by accha, Apr 18, 2014.

1. accha

accha Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    [​IMG]

Dreaming Mary is an original adventure game in a sidescrolling format, made using the free RPG Maker VX Ace Lite. It is inspired by the Japanese horror game Ib and the abstract game Yume Nikki, and is influenced by the indie platformer Eversion as well as the TV show Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica. Despite these influences, Dreaming Mary is not exactly a horror game. It does contain horror elements, though they might never be encountered by a player who chooses to indulge in the dreams instead of investigating.

The game's average playtime ranges from fifteen to twenty-five minutes to reach one ending, and there are four endings. In the game you are able to interact with items and NPCs. It is important to pay attention to dialogue and to your surroundings in order to proceed. Sound is vital in this game and can help the player move forward as well as provide hints to the situation Mary has found herself in.

This game is not intended for children or those of a nervous disposition. Please play with headphones or high audio in a quiet room. There are four endings and bonus content is available after all four have been achieved in one game file. For hints and information, please see the game's homepage at the bottom of the description.

SCREENSHOTS

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

STORY

Mary is a girl who loves to dream. In fact, she loves to dream so much she can spend an entire day dreaming. One day, when she falls asleep, she finds herself in a nostalgic place very different from her other dreams. Everyone there knows her and treats her like an old friend, and they invite her to play with them or help them. When she finishes all of their tasks, she is invited deeper into the dream.

Will you lead her to fall into her dreams? Or will you bring her back to the waking world?

As the player, you have the choice in the final decision of Mary's final dream.

FEATURES
    -Custom graphics
    -Custom music
    -Vocal songs
    -Voices
    -Movie
    -Bonus content (available after achieving all 4 endings in 1 game file)

ACE LITE CHALLENGE
    Dreaming Mary was originally created and completed in RMVX Ace Lite. It was ported to the full version of Ace afterwards, but still conforms to many of the original restrictions of the Lite software, such as:
    -No more than 20 maps
    -Only 10 events per map
    -No more than 10 common events
    -Limit of 100 switches and variables
    -No call common event option

The full Ace software was needed for file encryption and font change. Mithran's Text Cache script is used as well as a single line of call script in the game's eventing.

4/19: Updated download links added!
    Fixed bugs:
    -Premature notification of the 4 endings
    -Bonus mode freeze from painting
    -Removal of script which caused ‘sound file not found’

Produced by Accha (story, art, programming, voice)
    With support from Trass (music, advice on how to use RMVX)

Game homepage (tumblr)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2014
    yohjstw316, Shake0615, sabao and 9 others like this.
  2. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    Congratulations on finishing your game! :D

3. hiromu656

hiromu656 Praise the Sun (Arcana) Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I finished your game and am kind of at a loss for words to describe it. But for one, I know I can't end my playthrough on this note, since I'm more than unsatisfied with that Fate. It's clear you put a ton of work into this game and I'm dying to see the game's "True" ending, if there is one. So great job with this, it's been a while since I've played a game that made me feel so intrigued with the world.

For feedback's sake the art is great, the music is great, the storytelling is great (that Sleeping Beauty book was awesome). And I hope to see more projects from you.

Spoiler:

If it wasn't obvious enough, i lost all of my pedals and google could not save me.

4. accha

accha Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Thanks archeia! =D And thank you hiromu for playing the game! XD

The true ending is very similar to the one you've already gotten... the Good ending is the one you should aim for instead ;)

There are a lot of additional hints on the tumblr page (scan the ask questions) and there's also a walkthrough that someone has just posted, if you'd like outside help.

Otherwise, good luck and remember to play with audio :)

hiromu656 likes this.
  5. Sopherian

Sopherian Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Hello~ I also beat 2 of the endings recently and wanted to share my experience. The game has a great mix between being super cute and super creepy.

I did notice however that I do not seem to be told during the credits which ending I received besides the background color changing ever so slightly. Is this true?
    I read through the guide for the good ending and it mentioned some bench with stuffed animals but I never found that. I guess it is in room with the locked door that I was never able to open,

I also felt that the endings were rather abrupt. I was asked to pick the last flower and then *bam* credits. I really expected it to be my start down the rabbit hole and not the end :) .

It would be nice if we were told what ending we received somehow so we could tell. Perhaps I am blind and this feature exists, but I did not notice it. I was only asked if I was happy with my fate and if I said yes, it took me to the menu and if I said no, I was taken back to the start of the game.

I only wish the game was longer, but I am sure it already took a long time to make up to this point :) .

One last question, is the sleeping beauty story supposed to be missing letters? Can you ever see all of these letters?

6. accha

accha Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Hi there Sopherian, thanks for playing =w=)/

Some of my responses will be vague/short because the events of the game are meant to be interpreted so I can't reveal much, sorry (❁´▽`❁)

Yes, there is nothing which tells you what endings you've gotten (unless you reference the endings guide). The point of the game isn't to collect all of the endings but to find a way to 'escape' from the easy-to-get fate, so I actually regret posting the endings guide as it seems some people focused too much on the 'collection' (′︿‵。)

The game is basically a crossroads where the player guides Mary to the start of different paths. Because of the limitations of Ace Lite (only 20 maps can be made) and also my own time restraint, I focused specifically on the crossroads rather than the journey afterward =w=

Yes, the Sleeping Beauty story purposefully has missing letters. Most of the story is taken directly from a translation posted on a university site.

7. Kaynato

Kaynato Warper Member

First Language:
    Chinese
    Just stopping by after playing this game - it's just too beautiful and has somehow evoked this sort of feeling that's just really hard to describe -

Maybe, it is when a book has finished, and even though you know it's done, you can't just help feel that there's more to come -

The book's simply pulled you in so far that you can't get out anymore, and for just a fleeting moment, the mind teeters between the realms of reality and dream.

And when dawn comes, it's only with a heavy regret that, finally, you pull yourself awake...

After toiling about with the no-key endings, and failing to realize that - yes, in fact, that there was a fourth door on the far wall (for the angel) - I managed to find the other corridor.

I ended up getting the bad ending after waking up, to realize that I'd forgotten to get the gold leaf key even when I had finally obtained all three brown keys.

It's really effective. The red background actually draws me back to some old horror videos, but I can't exactly remember which.

I panicked and reloaded before entering the painting (to run back again) because i was so close to getting the good ending...

Anyway, I got the good ending right after, but... I had to get the bad ending to find the secret content. I suppose that wasn't exactly the best of order, heh.

I loved the NPCs' dialogue. Penn especially - the jokes when you finish the book questions quickly are really nice, and bridge this continuity between each game. It felt like things could carry over; I don't know how exactly, but this sort of interaction is sort of indescribable - it connects on a stranger, deeper level. Like they remember when you've been there before, as if you've really known each other for that long. Brilliant execution. Also, I can't help but comment that Mary, in the "real room," looks awfully like Ib - but that's a homage, or maybe even allusion - another excellent detail. Sometimes, little things like that can make all the difference. (Especially Hadoken mode. Especially.)

The overall theme was splendid as well. As with Ib, Dreaming Mary explores the boundaries between Imagination and Reality, between the Dreaming World and the Waking one. How you nest the game between the one quote, finished finally at the end, was simply beautiful.

"Find the key that turns dreams into reality ... and the entire world will open for you."

As much as I find it ironic that I had missed it so blatantly, so many times - this quote resonates with the zeitgeist, the spirit of the time. Of this sort, there is nothing more truly inspirational.

I look forwards to seeing your next game, "The Illusory Garden."

Thank you so much for giving the world this beautiful game!

8. Neverward

Neverward Keeping it trill Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Just finished this game and managed to get two very different endings :)

Here's a few thoughts on the game :)

First off when I stepped into the world I was blown away by the adorable style, it's simplistic and whimsical yet full of detail and life! It begins very adorable and simple, and overall the plot is quite deceptive. The first time I played it I didn't know how to do anything other then what I was supposed to :p and I went through the entire thing, even giving away my 'petal' which felt horribly dirty, and the ending down that line was... anticlimactic. I think that maybe on this part adding a 'find a new path next time' note wouldn't have been out of place, because I almost just put it away and filed it off as a 'short weird game that seems to be about pedophiles'. Thankfully I read a bit about it and realized there's multiple endings, so I was determined to get the happiest one possible!!

I got to what I guess must be the 'true' ending, and was extremely happy when I saved Mary, though the events leading up to it were quite scary! I'm still utterly baffled by the 'magical word' but I hope that I'll figure it out some time xD

All in all this game was really fantastic, the only RPGmaker game I'v ever played through more then once, and I think I'd play it a few more times just to find the different endings :) though I can't imagine how it could be different then the 2 I found. You did quite wonderfully with this engine, and made it a beautiful/haunting unique game.

Out of curiosity, did you use a script for the side-scrolling aspect or do it with just events and stuff?

I'll keep an eye out for any more work by you!! <3

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2014
  9. Shian

Shian Pervasively Incandescent Veteran

Hi, great game, but you probably already know that! I'm here for bug reports and suggestions! First the bug reports:

- When porting save files from the original to updated version, loading the original saves goes to a black screen. Entering the save screen then exiting seems to work to fix it. It probably doesn't even matter now but thought I'd point it out.

- When playing hide and seek, if you're at the far left when time runs out, press "Z" once to clear Foxanne's message, then quickly press "Z" again you get the "You can't leave yet!" message, and if you press "Z" again you're left with a black screen. Again opening the save screen and then exiting fixes it.

- If you enter Hadouken mode and then enter the dark hallway through the painting in the "angel" room (where the fishbowl is), you don't get the awesome battle music, you can walk through the Yeti, and if you go far enough left that you trigger the hadouken event, it works up to the point where Mary actually shoots the Hadouken, then it just stops and you can't move.
    Now for suggestions! I'm not sure if you believe the game is "completed" and only want to update with bugfixes or whether you're willing to consider some of these so I separated them.

I'm not sure if this is a restriction of ACE Lite, but sound effects for opening/closing doors and other things (like the fishbowl breaking) would be good. I got used to it but at the beginning it felt really weird opening the door without any sound.
    I had no idea about taking the key from the bedroom to use to unlock that other door until I looked up a let's play and saw it being done. You can blame it on my stupidity, but I feel like one more hint other than from Penn Guindel might help some of the dafter players like me (like another character saying something relevant). First time I played through I had forgotten about that key by the time I saw the message, and after that I just opened the door automatically without even thinking about the key. It doesn't help that trying to stand on the same "tile" as the key takes you to the hallway. Although it reduces the dreamy aspect of it, "skeleton key" as its name would probably make it a bit easier.

I would suggest making it easier to tip over the fishbowl (I think you had to observe it 3 or 4 times to touch it?), it seems a few too many.

Also this isn't exactly a suggestion, but I like the naming for the BGMS... However, from what I've researched it appears only the caryophyllus (carnation) species has the meaning of "A mother's undying love" when it's pink. It's fine as it is, of course--maybe that isn't even the meaning behind the names at all! But one way or another that's my interpretation, and although it might be slightly erroneus I like it.

Also have you considered a translation? Considering the Japanese influence in all kinds of aspects of the game I feel like it would be great to have a Japanese version released.

10. accha

accha Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Oh wow, thanks Kaynato, Neverward and Shian for playing!

@Kaynato, you have a beautiful writing style XD Very glad that you enjoyed Dreaming Mary! I'm actually working on a related game called Blue Dreams at the moment. Illusory Garden, the actual sequel, is the fourth game of our series ;)

@Neverward, yeah, the fact that the endings are abrupt and incomplete (except for the good one) are probably why Trass told me to do the lead-them-into-another-playthrough thing lol. Making better endings is definitely something I'm going to improve on, so thanks for mentioning it! Also, the sidescrolling is basically just making two giant walls around one walk space, so it's technically neither I'd say. I wrote a sort-of-tutorial about it on tumblr: http://ilutiern.tumblr.com/post/84489991520/tips-on-making-graphics-for-sidescrollers-in-ace-lite

Though there are a lot of better ways to do the sidescrolling thing than how I did it (with my really really bad knowledge of how RPGMaker works lol)

@Shian, thanks for the bug reports! The game is done for now, but if I end up with enough time to remake Dreaming Mary I'll be fixing up a lot of things, including what you mentioned. And dayum, that hadouken bug keeps sneaking up on me... I really, really thought I fixed it in the latest version lol

There's actually a Japanese translation starting up (benefits of having polylinguist friends yay!) but it'll be a while yet as we search for more native/fluent Japanese speakers to help out.

11. CraftyMaelyss

CraftyMaelyss Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    I'm having a problem with this game, whenever I try to start it, it crashes. I have a windows 8 MSI touchscreen gaming PC, so I know my computer isn't the issue.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

12. DarcHiro

DarcHiro Dark Lord of Lollipops Member

First Language:
    English
    I LOVED this game! The dark undertones behind a cute pink exterior was incredible!

I've been working on a game for some time about dreams... And when I played yours, it gave me hope for mine!

Keep doing amazing!

13. WittyCheese

WittyCheese Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Hey, I just started this game and I've noticed...I actually can't talk to the cute bunny :( I've pressed just about every button. Is it a bug or am I doing something wrong?

EDIT: Nevermind, I did something wrong. Stood on top of them instead of next to them.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2016
  14. lawina

lawina Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English

Thank you for bumping the topic, or I would've never heard about this game :)

@OP It's fantastic so far. I like the mix between creepy and cute.