Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hey DreamX,

This is a great plugin! Thanks for it!

The only heartbreaking thing is that changing resolution requires a restart. Do you think there would be any way of allowing for the player to choose resolution right when the game is booted, and then doing a quick F12-style reset to then establish that resolution? Or does the game need to truly shutdown and start back up?

Requiring a restart is not the end of the world, just trying to think of how to make it a little more seamless and elegant. :)

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I started a new project, added your plugin (ver. 1.4), and added the .json file that you have in the original post. Strangely, the title screen didn't even come up. All that appeared was a black screen. I couldn't even hit f8 to pull up the developer tools/console.

However, once I added Yanfly's Core Engine, the title screen came up. Is your plugin dependent on Yanfly's plugin?

In the project with your plugin and Yanfly's, the issue doesn't occur. So I went through my actual project and spent almost 30 minutes trying to find what plugin(s) were doing that.

I found that, once I'd turned off all my plugins and began turning them back on one by one, Yanfly's Keyboard Config and Gamepad Config had the same effect on that project as not having Yanfly's Core Engine added had on the new project: a black screen, no title screen, and inability to use the developer tools/console. However, what I didn't find was the plugin causing the strange problem with the black background after pausing the game twice.

Which left me wondering if it was because I'd turned off menu access for the tutorial level in my project, then turned it back on once that level was done. So I tested that out in the new one (the one with only your plugin and Yanfly's Core added to the plugin manager). That also didn't cause the black screen behind the window.

Then, on a whim, I tested the new project and went to the options menu from the title screen. I hadn't changed any of the settings, and I hadn't changed the .json file either. Yet for some reason, this is what the options screen looked like:

options_bugerroridk_by_natalyabass-da98p6g.png

And here's the .json file from that new project:

{
    "VIDEO": {
        "816x624": {
            "w": "816",
            "h": "624"
        },
        "768x576": {
            "w": "768",
            "h": "576"
        },
        "256x196": {
            "w": "256",
            "h": "196"
        },
        "942x672": {
            "w": "942",
            "h": "672"
        }
    },
    "VARIABLES": {
        "1": {
            "step": "5",
            "min": "100",
            "max": "150",
            "percent": "true"
        },
        "2": {
            "step": "1",
            "min": "10",
            "max": "15"
        }
    },
    "HELP_TEXT": {
        "alwaysDash": "If on, always dash even without holding dash button.",
        "commandRemember": "Remember commands.",
        "bgmVolume": "This changes the volume of bgm.",
        "bgsVolume": "This changes the volume of bgs.",
        "meVolume": "This changes the volume of me sound effects.",
        "seVolume": "This changes the volume of sound effects.",
        "resolution": "Requires exit and restart.",
        "fullscreen": "Toggle Fullscreen.",
        "switch_1": "If on, does something really neat.",
        "switch_5": "If on, does something incredible.",
        "variable_1": "Great variable",
        "variable_8": "Variable 8 is my favorite."
    }
}

It's in the right folder (under data/), and it's named properly (DreamX_Options.json)

I am genuinely confused as to what's going on. I just hope that this will be a relatively easy fix.

Edit: Ignore the last 100%, I forgot to name the variable. I also edited the switches parameter, now it looks like this:

options_bugidk_by_natalyabass-da98qde.png

For some reason the names of switch 8 and variable 5 aren't displayed. Unless the "variable 5" and "switch 8" in the .json file mean the 5th and 8th variables and switches added to the plugin.

Last edited by a moderator:

DreamX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Looks like it does require Core Engine, yes. I consider it pretty essential, people should be using it anyway.

Whatever you add in the parameters are the variables as options.

Make sure you are naming your switches in the database.

Edit: Uploaded a version where you don't need Core Engine if for some reason you aren't using it. Note that as stated in the documentation, you can't change resolution without Core Engine.

Edit: @willoneill I'll be looking into allowing for resolution without a restart or something else more convenient.

whoami

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Thanks for the plugin, DreamX. Very useful, like all your work!

I can confirm GameFire's report that using this plugin with YEP_CoreEngine and YEP_KeyboardConfig will prevent the project from loading at all. Just tried it with a new blank project and only those 3 plugins.

If you move DreamX_Options to the top of the plugin list, it works, but you can't use the resolution options, since it's loading before YEP_CoreEngine.

DreamX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks for the plugin, DreamX. Very useful, like all your work!

I can confirm GameFire's report that using this plugin with YEP_CoreEngine and YEP_KeyboardConfig will prevent the project from loading at all. Just tried it with a new blank project and only those 3 plugins.

If you move DreamX_Options to the top of the plugin list, it works, but you can't use the resolution options, since it's loading before YEP_CoreEngine.

Thanks. Latest version uploaded has compatibility.

willoneill

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Looks like it does require Core Engine, yes. I consider it pretty essential, people should be using it anyway.

Whatever you add in the parameters are the variables as options.

Make sure you are naming your switches in the database.

Edit: Uploaded a version where you don't need Core Engine if for some reason you aren't using it. Note that as stated in the documentation, you can't change resolution without Core Engine.

Edit: @willoneill I'll be looking into allowing for resolution without a restart or something else more convenient.

Thanks DreamX! Looking forward to it!

DreamX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hey DreamX,

This is a great plugin! Thanks for it!

The only heartbreaking thing is that changing resolution requires a restart. Do you think there would be any way of allowing for the player to choose resolution right when the game is booted, and then doing a quick F12-style reset to then establish that resolution? Or does the game need to truly shutdown and start back up?

Requiring a restart is not the end of the world, just trying to think of how to make it a little more seamless and elegant. :)

The latest version now automatically restarts the game after a resolution change, when you go back to the title screen.

Keep in mind that pressing F5 anytime is an even faster way to restart with a resolution change, but make sure to save any progress you want to keep, the same way you would when going to the title/loading/exiting the window manually.

I'll look into if it's reasonable to script a resolution change in-game without disrupting current game progress.

willoneill

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
The latest version now automatically restarts the game after a resolution change, when you go back to the title screen.

Keep in mind that pressing F5 anytime is an even faster way to restart with a resolution change, but make sure to save any progress you want to keep, the same way you would when going to the title/loading/exiting the window manually.

I'll look into if it's reasonable to script a resolution change in-game without disrupting current game progress.

A restart when returning to the title screen helps! F5 is definitely better though, you're right. My fear is just that people may not save, maybe there's a way to autosave whenever somebody F5-resets...

But yes - please do look into an in-game change for resolution. If it's not possible, no problem, but that's definitely a feature players expect nowadays...

Thanks again for this great plugin!

Superhiro_Nik

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
I love this plug-in! I especially like the Fullscreen option. However, I have found an incompatibility with this plug-in:

Even if I turn off the difficulty option, it prevents my game from being automatically launched in fullscreen by your plug-in. Is there something you could do to add compatibility or am I just out of luck? Heartbreak61 unfortunately does not seem to be an active user anymore.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, or even just a reply if you can't add compatibility.

Thank you so much!

DreamX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I love this plug-in! I especially like the Fullscreen option. However, I have found an incompatibility with this plug-in:

Even if I turn off the difficulty option, it prevents my game from being automatically launched in fullscreen by your plug-in. Is there something you could do to add compatibility or am I just out of luck? Heartbreak61 unfortunately does not seem to be an active user anymore.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, or even just a reply if you can't add compatibility.

Thank you so much!

They forgot to call the original config manager load function.

Go to line 346 and add

_ConfigManager_load.call(this);

So the function should look like this:

Code:
ConfigManager.load = function(){
    _ConfigManager_load.call(this);
	SSG_Heartbreak.loadDifficulty();
}

DreamX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
1.5 Adds custom status and help text for variables based on the current value.

Untitled.png

In this example there is custom text for the "Variable" option based on the its current value. Internally, the variable's value is 2, but it can be displayed differently to the player. The help text can also change based on the variable's current value. See the updated json file for an example of how to do this.

DreamX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
v1.6:

Added a way to lock options. Good for things like locking difficulty options.

Code:
 * You can use the json file to lock options. See the example json file.
 * You will use the symbol (for example, "commandRemember" in the example 
 * json file). User-defined switches and variables use the same symbol style as 
 * in the HELP_TEXT section of the example json file.
 * The "condition" attribute decides whether to lock the option or not. 
 * You will enter javascript there. If you need to use more than one line, 
 * I suggest putting a function call in there. 
 * If the condition evaluates as true, the option will be locked.
 * "reset" decides whether to change the value of the option after resetting. 
 * You will enter javascript there. A simple true or false will probably 
 * suffice.
 * "resetValue" only applies if the option is set to reset upon locking, so 
 * don't worry about this if you're not resetting the value. This attribute 
 * is what the value of the option is changed to upon resetting. In most cases,
 * a number, true, or false will suffice.
 * If you need to use quotes, make sure to escape them. For example, if you 
 * want to reset the resolution to 816 x 624, you would use 
 * "\"816 624\""
 * as the reset value.

Crysillion

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I messed with this plugin for about half an hour and absolutely couldn't make any sense of it. I was trying to add in a menu option that toggled a switch ON/OFF and really couldn't figure it out. The help file actually wasn't very useful in this regard, and the example .JSON file provided is very unclear as to what does what or why or how to do much anything at all.

The plugin looks perfect for what I need if I could understand it at all.

For instance, I see variables. One of the examples is this:

"10": {
            "step": "1",
            "min": "1",
            "max": "3",
            "value_text": {
                "1": "Low",
                "2": "Normal",
                "3": "Heavy"
            }

Now, I know it's just an example that does nothing, but I run into a problem when I actually want something to do anything. I understand how to display numbers, I know what the step, min, max, and value_text is, I get all of that, but when it comes to how to actually make any of these options do anything, I'm totally lost. I don't know what it means. I don't know what's actually being adjusted.

I also don't follow how to actually add anything into the options menu. Does it go under variables? What about the switches I was reading about?

All of the do-nothing-just-for-example stuff added onto the Options menu by default has no label. How do I give something a label?

I see some things in the .JSON that don't exist in the Options menu. What dictates what is displayed and what is not displayed?

For example:

"switch_1": "If on, does something really neat.",
        "switch_5": "If on, does something incredible.",

I don't see this anywhere in the Options menu, so I guess it's some kind of example, but I'm not following the logic of why that's not displayed, but some of the unlabeled variables of variables shown above are being displayed,.

DreamX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Alright, we'll start simple.

Enter

1 2

in the parameter Switches under General Options. Give those switch a name in the database. The way to do this is to go to Control Switches event command, click on the button to the right of "Single," and then name those switches. After that hit OK. From there you can cancel out and not actually add the event command.

Try that.

After you get that done, we'll talk about the rest.

Crysillion

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Ahh, didn't realize it meant actual switches/variables, I figured it was some kind of weird plugin-specific switch/variable. That makes a lot more sense, then.

So, if I wanted to do something where if it's on, it runs plugin command X, and when it's off, it runs plugin command Y, any idea how I could achieve that with your plugin?

DreamX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Ahh, didn't realize it meant actual switches/variables, I figured it was some kind of weird plugin-specific switch/variable. That makes a lot more sense, then.

So, if I wanted to do something where if it's on, it runs plugin command X, and when it's off, it runs plugin command Y, any idea how I could achieve that with your plugin?

I have just updated with a parameter to run a common event after the options menu is exited and the player returns to the map. You can use a conditional branch in that event to check for switches and do what you need there. Depending on what you want to do with the switch being on or off, you may want to add a check in there to see if the switch value changed from last time to avoid unnecessary repeating.

Crysillion

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I have just updated with a parameter to run a common event after the options menu is exited and the player returns to the map. You can use a conditional branch in that event to check for switches and do what you need there. Depending on what you want to do with the switch being on or off, you may want to add a check in there to see if the switch value changed from last time to avoid unnecessary repeating.

Sounds good, but the main post isn't updated with the update you're talking about.

DreamX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Sounds good, but the main post isn't updated with the update you're talking about.

It is. Download from the same link. It is a parameter so anyone who activates the plugin will see it.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Sometimes you Just need to realise someone is beyond help... Still hard to walk away tho :(
100 Horror/Tragedy Sample Maps, Penguin Mech Sprite, & TileD Templates | RPG Maker News #70

Continuing working on abs. So far I have done the workout twice. I am excited to see the results after a couple of weeks. How is everyone doing? :)
MZ: oh boy imma work today
Me, excited: Really?
MZ, doesn't do what I tell It too
Me: I Thought-
MZ: I am Working!
Oof, this "side project" of mine is starting to get as complex as a VS plugin, at least as far as plugin parameters are concerned. I think I now understand why a plugin like this doesn't already exist(that I know of). Learning a lot while trying to make it work though!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaneda035