DRM vs. DRM-Free?

metronome

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (Sure!)
Primarily Uses
I think all your figures are all way too low honestly. You shouldn't be aiming so low regardless if you go free or commercial. 
Yup, it is too low.

And it is meant for example on the lowest low level you could go.

My point is,

If your game can not even achieve this goal, then talking about DRM free vs DRM crazy (vs whatever) is too farfetched. Let alone arguing about it...

Out of Topic:

And well....not everyone is coming from US so I don't really get about that "minimum welfare" stuffs. So basically, in US, I could just go unemployed, practically fire myself from a job, and then file unemployment status to the government, and then sit my asses on those money coming from government?

Last edited by a moderator:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Out of Topic:

And well....not everyone is coming from US so I don't really get about that "minimum welfare" stuffs. So basically, in US, I could just go unemployed, practically fire myself from a job, and then file unemployment status to the government, and then sit my asses on those money coming from government?
I'm not from the US, and that is handled differently in every country - but if it exists then usually there are some conditions on that, and it's not exactly a lot of money (basically just enough to live if you're very careful with what you buy).
In Germany for example you're required to proof that you're trying to find a job and if you don't try that (or fail some of the other requirements like being available on short notice) the payments can be shorted or cancelled.

So no, while there are some people who manage with tricks to "sit on their asses" and still get that money, it is not as easy as it sounds on a glance and most people who use that have to obey some restrictions that are intended to force you to seek a job as soon as you can handle that.

Galenmereth

I thought what I'd do was
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just to comment on the OOT discussion: In Norway, you have a similar system, but it is very strict. You have to apply for new jobs and show proof of it. If you don't you are offered jobs relative to your abilities by the welfare office. You can decline up to a certain amount of offers, and after that you are required to take an offered job no matter what. But it does mean that nobody has to starve or be without a home. Obviously some people manage to game the system for a time, but it's not a lucrative prospect. Any job anywhere would pay you at least twice as much as the basic income guaranteed through the welfare system.

whitesphere

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
In my experience with unemployment in Mass., you collect some fraction of what you made.  However, it only goes for a certain amount of time (6 months I think, but it can be extended by Congress and that has happened a fair amount).

And, during that time you are required to show you are looking for work.  Technically when I did this it was just a checkbox, but that was over 10 years ago, so they are probably a lot stricter now. 

During that time you also have access to retraining resources and basic Mass health and may get cheap or free college courses to help you get a job, with a fair amount of restrictions.

Generally speaking, welfare and things like low income housing, food stamps and such are keyed to your income.  But, bluntly if you don't have kids you might get as little as $16 a month.  And in terms of waiting lists, they are literally years long for low income housing, and again if you don't have kids you're at the bottom of the list. 

The latter I found out from a friend of mine who is on disability and who has MS.  The case worker specifically told her "If you had a kid you'd be first in line." Her reply was "I can barely take care of myself and can't get out of bed some days.   There's no way I could take care of a kid."  So for doing the responsible thing, she has to pay 1/2 of her disability income for a cheap apartment. :p

So, no, it's not like in the US you can sit on your ass and collect money indefinitely.

Tuomo L

Oldbie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Out of Topic:

If you're content with making less than 1000 a month, then yes you may. Though if you're unemployed, then you can't sell your game. You can't make profit as selling games and be unemployed at the same time unless you have extremely bad sales to the point of it not making enough to be taxed There'es no way you're going to be sitting on your ass and just getting the money if you plan on making videogames, especially for big bucks later.  If you quit your job or you're dismissed badly, you probably get period of time when you'll not receive the money which can range from few months to even years, so beware.

I am not from US either, we have welfare here. It's not a concept that's only in US, you country probably has some form of it too.

Self employing and making money as a game developer is leading you to path of full time employement so the goverment would most likely help with welfare due to this, provided you'll be able to provide things like sales charts, estimates, etc, etc. Just tell you expect a rocky first year with first product and then you'll plan on making a bigger next release once your name comes out, you tell you use social media as marketing tool, etc.

But yeah, that's more about how to sell your game and make money off it rather than DRM though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Just imagine, MZ got released while still on summer sale and they decided to discount their game. lol.
Now that I found an accessible composing software, all the melodies that only lived inside my head so far can come to life. I LOVE this.
Akemi14 wrote on Archeia's profile.
I'm sorry about my mistake of not messaging you about posting in Games in Development Rules and Guidelines. I'm still new on this forum but using RPG Maker for 3 years. Well it is in English language. Well, I just want to explained about the game and show them the demo. I promised, there is no inappropriate contain because I don't like that. What should I do?
Magic numbers are the devil.
So I was explaining to someone today that Magic (the Gathering) has advertised itself as a Trading Card Game (TCG) and a Collectable Card Game (CCG), but never a playing card game. Playing cards are what they use for stuff like Poker or Black Jack. So by playing Magic with the cards, they were in fact doing it wrong, and me trading the cards is a correct usage. :popcorn:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
uoxaufwu