Dungeon Encounters: Infinite vs. Finite number

BladeRED

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I personally think that the best example of encounters i have seen is in the Pokemon license, especially the latest one.
Some encounters are visible and avoidable. They are infinite, but there may be a certain amount of time that elapses before a specific pokemon repop.
Others are invisible (e.g. in high grass) and infinitely avoidable, but high grass can be avoided.
Some encounters are invisible and inevitable (caves).
And finally, some encounters are visible, avoidable or inevitable, but once made, they cannot be repeated, except in special cases (fight against trainers, champions, etc.).

So for me, the fact that encounters are finite or infinite is not important, it's how you use it in your game, and the better thing to do is to have a diversity of encounters, it's better for the player since it add some fun to the encountering mechanics, and for the developers it's a way to improve the level design of the game.

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
can always use all of the above. can be a difficulty option at the start or an event like talk to goddess statue and pick encounter type
Story visual encounters only exist while switch is on and get encounter none trait.
Easy random encounters = switch off and get encounter half trait.
Normal standard encounters = switch on, encounter half traits
Hard encounter all = switch on, no traits

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've used both systems, and can't say I have a strong preference towards either. Infinite is easier to piss off people with if encounters are too frequent, but easier to accommodate for bad players playing badly by allowing them to grind (or for an excuse to not bother balancing difficulty).
Finite encounters means the game is forced to be well balanced, so it's beatable without stacking up numbers through grinding, but it can get players stuck more easily if they don't grasp the basics of your combat system.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

1,Randomly generate events with planted spawner events(great flexibility for customization and auto-match player's level)
2,Randomly enter roguelike dungeon
3,Player can exit dungeon or back to town or choose to challenge BOSS at the end of each dungeon
4,Dungeon maps can be randomly generated by a third-party tool
Got locked out of the house yesterday... best friends who had the spare ghosted me. Locksmith had to literally drill thru the lock bc they couldn't pick it. Whole process took 4 hours and far too much money. And they have to come back next week bc they don't have the right cylinder, cause it's an old interlocking lock. I'm livid lol
 I’m probably going to regret this, but I need kobolds for my project and I’ve decided to sprite them myself. This is Attempt #1, front view only.

KoboldFront.gif
It's a shame that Selection Control will not be ported to MZ. I found a neat way of using it to enable ways for tanks to protect squishies. lol
Lately I have been taking a break from game and resource making so I won't get burnt out. But I am also interested in the Game Jams this site periodically holds. It'd be great if I knew when the next one, if any, is planned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwiras