LUKElcs

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm making a game which will have puzzles in each dungeon, somewhat comparable to Legend of Zelda, in the sense that each dungeon has a theme, ect, in addition to random encounters and such.

The first dungeon has a plant theme, and one of my ideas involved burning away overgrowth, but I'm not really sure how to implement this in a fun, or unique way, for the player to complete puzzles.
Of course, if anyone has any other plant-themed puzzles ideas, be sure to comment them.

Mythmaker19

Teller of Tales
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I dunno how feasible something like this would be, but it would make sense to have a root or something grow when you use water on it and have large leaves or something act as platforms to get to different levels of the map.

LUKElcs

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That would be an interesting idea. Maybe you could flick switches to make water flow to power something, opening and closing certain dams?
That would work well for a water dungeon, though I'm not certain how well it would work fir the plant dungeon.
Thankyou though, that's a cool idea. :D

Journey_Sticks

Builder of Stuff
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A couple of thoughts on the subject. I'm fond of creating skill-centric puzzles, so on that note...
Plant based dungeon:
Enchanted seeds(require water skill?
or water skill+light skill? ) to grow vine bridges/climbing vines.

Herb garden with a set finite amount of planting slots(to limit how many potions are available) to grow ingredients for potions.

Poison plants that inflict a small amount of damage, but are necessary to create detox potions or health potions

Desert based dungeon:
Wind skill+fire skill+earth skill to blow sand across a ravine and superheat it into a glass bridge.
Wind skill+earth skill to sandblast passages open or blind+damage enemies.

Water skill+earth skill to form quicksand and sink enemies

Stone based dungeon:

Ultrasonic skill to crumble stone bridges/doors or drop stalactites on enemies

LUKElcs

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I considered doing a skill based dungeon, though personally I prefer interaction based puzzles. Those ideas sound really cool though! :D

Journey_Sticks

Builder of Stuff
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
One of my favorite sounds in the whole world is the one that plays when you find a hidden passage in "Link to the Past". I'm all in for the puzzles. I do really dig the burning of vegetation or chopping of trees/jungle foliage to clear passages. I made a thrown torch animation for such, with a max "torch inventory" variable of 5. It required the single-use torches to be crafted from other objects.
Probably should have set the variable a little higher and made that part less obtuse. It just ended up being annoying instead of clever. I may still have the animation if you want it.

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
plant based dungeon could be either:
burning away overgrowth or cutting/using trees to open paths/bridges.
sentient/reactive plants that move to being touched or grow from a magic item.
time shifted dimensions with different stages of growth blocking/opening paths.
miniboss (piss off giant boar and it charges new path through the trees)
multi layered (climb vines and move across branch maze to spot to climb down)

Dororo

Gespenst MKII pilot
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Have a plant grow. The grown plant work as ladders but roots block gates. Burn down the plant again to do viceversa. With some backtracking it's already enough to annimate an entire dungeon.

LUKElcs

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
One of my favorite sounds in the whole world is the one that plays when you find a hidden passage in "Link to the Past". I'm all in for the puzzles. I do really dig the burning of vegetation or chopping of trees/jungle foliage to clear passages. I made a thrown torch animation for such, with a max "torch inventory" variable of 5. It required the single-use torches to be crafted from other objects.
Probably should have set the variable a little higher and made that part less obtuse. It just ended up being annoying instead of clever. I may still have the animation if you want it.
I'm a big fan of the sound effects in Zelda games too. There's just something special about having a little musical number play whenever you get an item or complete a puzzle, something I'm somewhat doing for my game (Decision 5 plays when you get an item).
I like the idea of a throwing torch. I was thinking about how a torch item you carry or use might be a good mechanic, but I wasn't quite sure how to implement it.
My game doesn't have a crafting system, but I could probably have an infinite resource that allows you to get a new torch whenever you run out.

An idea I just got, somewhat of a combination between your idea and some of @Tiamat-86 's ideas, is that you can light things on fire, but there are also some plant bridges that might get burned.
There are water shafts that will put out the fire, but as soon as they are switched open and the water flows, the plants grow back.
You'd have to figure out when you want things burned, and when you don't, because some things might block you're path.
Might take some work to get working right, but I think it could work (that's the most times I've said "work in a single sentence I think :rswt )

Journey_Sticks

Builder of Stuff
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm a big fan of the sound effects in Zelda games too. There's just something special about having a little musical number play whenever you get an item or complete a puzzle, something I'm somewhat doing for my game (Decision 5 plays when you get an item).
I like the idea of a throwing torch. I was thinking about how a torch item you carry or use might be a good mechanic, but I wasn't quite sure how to implement it.
My game doesn't have a crafting system, but I could probably have an infinite resource that allows you to get a new torch whenever you run out.

An idea I just got, somewhat of a combination between your idea and some of @Tiamat-86 's ideas, is that you can light things on fire, but there are also some plant bridges that might get burned.
There are water shafts that will put out the fire, but as soon as they are switched open and the water flows, the plants grow back.
You'd have to figure out when you want things burned, and when you don't, because some things might block you're path.
Might take some work to get working right, but I think it could work (that's the most times I've said "work in a single sentence I think :rswt )
There's also the good old Flamerang, basically a reusable torch for later in the game when you want to avoid the tedium that I was dumping on the player. For half the game you have to keep getting torches, then you discover or earn the Flamerang and never have to waste that time again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

now that fmod is free for indie(<200k revenue), it would be interesting to see someone add fmod support for rpg maker
Can't say I can't promise progress on a project just yet. But I can say I had fun databasing tonight. :)
Working on a new menu for my game. I'm not sure if I should get the Lune Engine to make it more unique. I think I'll be making the text color more white to match the "Menu" color. I may add some little stamps or markings to make it look more like it's paper.
SF_Monster6 added!

Wonder when the next theme contest is coming?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
comercenary