Tigersong

Furry Fellow
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Okay. *deep breath* I'm not a fan of Dungeons and Dragons for one reason- the mathematics is so complex, it's enough to give most people a headache. I also think it ruined the combat system in Knights of the Old Republic. That said, you mentioned not allowing any stat to exceed twenty, which sounds like a really good idea. No more Final Fantasy-type games where you become ridiculously powerful by the end of the game.

Good luck in your work, sir. Maybe you'll change my mind about D&D.

I wrote that ^ rather hastily; let me elaborate.

I love Star Wars and role-playing games both, so Knights was a great find. However, what turned me off was getting to a certain point and having no way to win certain fights (like the one with Darth Bandon) because I didn't farm the right stats. Additionally, I'm puzzled by the way most of the skills have nothing to do with combat.

One of these days (this was a huge let-down for me) I want a diplomacy skill that's actually useful for avoiding combat. Not that I dislike fighting; I just feel, like Obi-Wan, that there are alternatives. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Evilbob333

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Enlgish
Primarily Uses
Registered just to say that I love this script and I'm very much looking forward to more updates!  I expect adding feats will be particularly difficult, good luck!

Kyutaru

Software Engineer & Ninja
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
One of these days (this was a huge let-down for me) I want a diplomacy skill that's actually useful for avoiding combat. Not that I dislike fighting; I just feel, like Obi-Wan, that there are alternatives. :)
The issue with diplomacy skills that avoid combat is that it reduces the XP gain of the party.  Such a skill can exist, but it must exist in a freeform RPG with content designed for all types of potential characters.  Such a diplomacy skill was present and functional in the old Fallout games, where you can literally beat the entire game without ever killing a single person and then DIPLOMACY the end boss to victory.  Such diplomatic power was only present in the Interplay RPGs and hasn't really been replicated since.  Though you can definitely make it part of any RPG Maker game easily.

lordvalinar

Lord of the Damned
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I agree with Evilbob333 this is just exactly what I need and have been looking for. There are some things I'm a little confused about as I was poking around. (well first off I re-arranged the classes back to 3.5 standard classes, ya know Barbarian, Bard, Cleric, Druid, Fighter, Monk, Paladin, Ranger, Rogue, Sorcerer, and Wizard :p and then even added another section in in the CLASS_TYPE under your D&D Core module, to add the classes Hit Dice at the end. I was trying to figure how to add 1d(hit dice) + Con modifier per level. Such as the Barbarian is d12 as you know, so I was trying to add actor.mhp + roll(1, 12) + mod:)con) but I have no clue how to add onto existing mhp lol

Anyways I also noticed a couple things that seemed off. Love the EVA %5/+1 AC method. I tested out a barbarian and

Nevermind this part, just saw there was EVA +10% in the Barbarian class *facepalm. I was trying to figure why he had AC 12 even after I took off the Studded Leather Armor lol.

-How are you going to figure DEX modifier to Armor Class?  For example a rogue with a DEX of 18 (+4) should add 4 to his total AC unless wearing Chainmail which only grants +2 max dex?

-Also not sure if this is in D&D Next or D&D 5e whatever you're calling it, but based on classic D&D I also added a variable on levelup. Every level this value increases by 1, and when it gets to 3 (every 4th level)

THEN it adds a Point to use on your STATS scene to improve an ability score :) Probably could be another way to do this but ya know. Variables are not in short supply so I felt that was easiest.

Obviously the DEX mod part itself is easy but just curious how to limit it via what type of armor is worn? :) Would love to help on the project in any way I can. I'm only a beginnger scripter but maybe I can find and help with things you may have missed or something ^_^

EDIT #2: I also added a means of "rolling" your ability scores lol (random 3..18) x6 times 6 different variables. Set scores STR, DEX, CON, INT, WIS, CHA. it's a basic system and I'm still working on it. I can possibly integrate the call script ROLL(3, 6) or something. Then as I flesh it out can let the players chose which abilities to put their scores in.

EDIT #3 lol sorry, but I just thought of something else. What if you changed in the armor class definition to include notetags? Something like <maxdex: 1>  for full plate. and you have the same 18(+4) DEX score. In the armor class def have something like "difference = user.mod:)dex) - notetag if notetag < user.mod:)dex)" or something  and then "base = 10 + user.mod:)dex) + (item_eva(user, item)*20).to_i - difference"

Would that work? o_O

Mouser

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
D&D has always had a bad case of Star Trek Syndrome.

1st Edition (and Hackmaster) rocked.

2nd Edition tried to streamline things and threw in too many extras and made humans the pimply faced kids on the playground while elves became nigh gods (note: in Tolkien, humans and elves IN THE SAME AGE were about the same, power wise).

3rd Edition went back to the roots of the game a bit, and added much needed versatility.

4th Edition: don't know what they were smoking but I want me some...

5th Edition: I only did the playtests but what I saw I liked.

Oh, and BECMI is still the best of them all BD

Kyutaru

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
-How are you going to figure DEX modifier to Armor Class?  For example a rogue with a DEX of 18 (+4) should add 4 to his total AC unless wearing Chainmail which only grants +2 max dex?
Armor class limitations to Dex mods will be included in the encumbrance system.  I found the need to implement a system that could affect the player's stats based on hindrances.  Type of armor being worn will be one of those hindrances and will debuff your stats accordingly.  Currently the system functions behind the scenes but I'll have a way to customize when I finalize the system.  It's just easier to work with when there's less code in the way.

whitesphere

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I only wonder if there are any legal issues over implementing D&D 5th edition?  Or is it OK for non-commercial but requires a license for commercial release?

lordvalinar

Lord of the Damned
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Armor class limitations to Dex mods will be included in the encumbrance system.  I found the need to implement a system that could affect the player's stats based on hindrances.  Type of armor being worn will be one of those hindrances and will debuff your stats accordingly.  Currently the system functions behind the scenes but I'll have a way to customize when I finalize the system.  It's just easier to work with when there's less code in the way.
Okay thanks for the reply ^_^

EDIT: Sorry had another question... will the D&D modules be dependent on Yanfly's script? o_O or are you able to make them independent by themselves, so that we may integrate them into other battle systems (like GubiD's Tactical Battle system for some old school grid and turn based strategy?

Kyutaru

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I only wonder if there are any legal issues over implementing D&D 5th edition?  Or is it OK for non-commercial but requires a license for commercial release?
Commercial releases of any D&D product will require a license obtained from Wizards, however the rules themselves for 3.5 edition fall under the Open Game License.  Per the US copyright office, once a game has been made public, nothing in the copyright law prevents others from developing another game based on similar principles.  While it would help to have an army of lawyers at your disposal in case of fruitless litigation wars, I see no reason why you couldn't create a game "with similar rules" to any of the D&D editions so long as you don't specify them as D&D products.

Okay thanks for the reply ^_^

EDIT: Sorry had another question... will the D&D modules be dependent on Yanfly's script? o_O or are you able to make them independent by themselves, so that we may integrate them into other battle systems (like GubiD's Tactical Battle system for some old school grid and turn based strategy?
The modules work independently and do not require Yanfly's scripts.  Both his and Yami's are included in the development to ensure complete compatibility with both of them.  These are the ONLY battle scripts I am supporting with this module so if you integrate any other battle system, it is conceivable that you will encounter errors.  Those errors will be your own to repair.  Battle systems often rewrite the core battle methods and since I am rewriting them myself, conflicts will occur.  I am making everything as compartmentalized as possible so that you can import sections of the script into battle systems you'd prefer to use over these default options.

lordvalinar

Lord of the Damned
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Okay awesome ^_^ No more questions from me today lol. Look forward to updates and have this topic bookmarked!

Mouser

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You cannot copyright a game mechanic, though you might be able to patent one if it was original enough. So long as you stay away from all the trademarked terms, you're in the clear.

Note: whether a game (or anything else) is commercial or not has nothing to do with its legality. That's a myth that started a long time ago, and it's no more true today then it was then. If something infringes copyright, it's illegal and subject to the penalties of federal law. Whether or not the infringing party made a dime off the material is irrelevant. A judge may take it into consideration when sentencing, but that's a different matter.

SentaiBrad

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Keep up this awesome work! I've always wanted a more D&D-esque system to create RPGs with. I don't think enough of them get made so I thought about making one or two myself but the systems arent in place. This could solve that or go a long way to making that a reality. If you can the major portions done and it still works with the RPGMaker that would be a huge step. Encumberance I could see being an issue unless you're able to attach a weight value to items. I can also see Skill Checks being an issue too unless you can assign each NPC (or at least the ones that will matter in any particualr games story) a value to check against for what ever piece of info or tactic you are trying to go for. Otherwise ... it could really work minus the grid battle. I personally say leave it open. You're obviously choosing which other scripts to support with this (Like Yanfly which is a great idea for the other benefits it can provide) but try and leave room for someone if they say want to use a tactical grid based battle system. Its easier said than done obviously but as long as you have documentation as you go along it shouldn't be TOO hard of a conversion for someone else.

One last thing I can think of for now is, keep making it modular. That's an awesome ideal that not many people stick to, "Either it works or it doesnt." Keeping it modular especially while 5th Edition is still "D&D Next" and in Play Test phases is awesome because if something changes signifigantly or even insignifigantly you can go back and update the portion with the updated rule set.

I am extremely happy for this and the day there is a reasonably working version I will be on board with making a game with this script, hopefully fully realize my Make my own D&D Styled RPG!

-Brad C

lordvalinar

Lord of the Damned
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Brad I know right? :) I was starting to work on my own D&D game when I saw this thread. I was like (The heavens have answered my prayers!!! lol)

Of_NIhility

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
If this could be combined with Gubid's Tactical battle system for on-map movement and fights, this would be perfect.

erakus

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
Man this is awesome i was looking for something exactly like this. As far as feature suggestions i'm still waiting for the release of the MM and the DMG before i got an answer for that. Right now this is a damn good start. well done!

UindoOokami

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I ggoled RPG Maker and D20 system together and i found this page near the top of the resultes, this sounds like exactly what i wanted. I actully love how combat works in DnD 5e. and would love to use it for my project, keep up the great work!

voymasa

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Well, you beat me too it. I'll have to check out the script you made. I pre-ordered 5.0 (4.0 did suck the big one), and should be getting the MM in a week or so. I switched to Pathfinder when they went 4.0 (tried 4.0, ran screaming from the building). I'm using a damage system (with elements, etc) similar to DnD (uses 1+rand(a.weapons[0].atk) as a base, multiplied by 1.0 times a.def/10 (a.def is used for STR on melee attacks, as defense is not used in DnD). I can implement ranged in one of two ways: a) a second skill called Shoot, which uses the same formula, but a.agi instead of a.def, or B) add an if statement, i.e. a.weapons[0].type<=id of last melee weapon on weapons list? base damage X 1.0 X a.def/10 : base damage X 1.0 X a.agi/10. Either way works in the DF.

Once I get the Yami engine to work, I'll try adding your script and see what happens. :)

BTW, where can I get a copy of your script?

Monydragon

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I am very interested in this script, I would like to help in anyway I can. I am an experienced Scripter, Programmer for RPG MAKER. I was actually starting my own D&D 5E script when I researched and found you working on this project. I would definitely like to help make this a reality.

Aentho

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm looking for feature requests or exclusions.  What makes or breaks D&D?  What doesn't work in a battle RPG setting?  What rules can be sacrificed for the betterment of the player?
Looks like I'm a bit late to the party. Hope you're still there, working on it Kyutaru.

First of all, I just have to say: WOW. I'm no script-er (And not much of a connoisseur at D&D either) but this sounds like a pretty big undertaking. And if you're including your own art assets that just makes it even more impressive.

Here are my questions to you: To what degree could you customize the parameters of the actors(STR, DEX, CON, INT, WIS, and CHA presumably)? Can you edit them in name only? Can you gain points in these parameters through some sort of distribution system upon levelling up? Can you add or remove parameters?As for feature requests, I'd like to see things like parameter requirements for wielding certain weapons, wearing certain armours, using certain armour, using certain skills, and crafting certain recipes like custom weapons, armour, potions, and food. But if that's not possible I understand.

Desyov

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
Is there a way to use other sprites the way you used the Rat ones? I cant seem to find how you made the sprite apear in Combat, and how would I do it with other Enemys?

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Woot got a promotion and a pay rise ᕙ( • ‿ • )ᕗ now I'm set.
does anyone feel like explaining to me the difference between simulation and emulation? you have my full permission to be as pedantic as you want.
About the Deer, I had to cut some piece of video due the *swearing* Youtube copyrights issues...
A caveman pokes his head in...
I was listening to songs by Chuck E Cheese's voice actor (Jaret Reddick from Bowling for Soup) when the meds I was taking for my stomach virus apparently stopped working. I can't take my next dose until morning, but it's no use anyway. I'm officially sick again. Of course, I'll definitely take the next dose either way, but it's useless now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sugma