Dungeons and Dragons Core Rules

Balrogic

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I only wonder if there are any legal issues over implementing D&D 5th edition? Or is it OK for non-commercial but requires a license for commercial release?
I'd do it SRD D20 style if it were me. WotC would have a very easy time going after people using their proprietary trademark without license. It doesn't matter if it's non-commercial. Even then you have to use SRD rather than D&D. There are special licensing requirements to put the D&D brand name on something you make and release. Their limited permission license only goes up to 4th edition. Proper CYA would clone functionality, not use the D&D name in any official capacity and bill itself as being *similar* to popular D20 tabletop systems.

Last edited by a moderator:

juggernaut

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
My 2 cents:

-It's highly my personal opinion but I think multiclassing and the the way it taxes the designer to accommodate it is really a waste of energy. You're better of inventing a system which is highly modular or at least creating enough base classes to satisfy a wide range of tastes.

-Why THAC0? This might be a throwback choice but I always found doing things in negative numbers was so confusing....As soon as AC was positive and rolling a 10 meant you could hit a 10, I was on board. I'd leave this AD&D relic alone. 

-Innovate with some variants that make a lot of sense... ie; Wielding a shield? Apply it to your reflex save when reacting to things like missile attacks. 

-I like the choice of using 5th ed and here's why: Modularity. <-- That's not a word. In 5th ed you do things like chose your two attribute scores you'll use for saves. Keep that spirit in your adaptation. I've found in my theorycrafting that a lot of what leads to ridiculous multiclassing and thousands of prestige classes is the lack of that 'perfect' mix for a player. Make things modular wherever you can.  

Pianotm

The TM is for Total Menace
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I have been looking for something like this for awhile.  I've been trying to make an RPG Maker D & D game for more than a year.  I do have a suggestion, though.  Pathfinder was intended as a generic D & D with an open game license.  I don't know how similar they actually are since I've only ever played D & D, but that was the idea behind Pathfinder.  It may not be such a legal issue to script a Pathfinder system.  I've just checked.  Pathfinder does, in fact, use an open game license.  That could be a solution for indie game makers trying to make an RPG game with a D & D type system.

Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
Hi! Wondering how this project is going and if you need any help. I am of no use with the program itself for now (I hope soon I could be), but I sure could lend some assistance.

angelique

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Could you put the formula for the dice so it could be used for new skills?

The Old Ferret

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hungarian
Primarily Uses
Hello! Are You still working on this? Its awesome.

posfan12

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is 3rd edition (my favorite) supported?

Is the grid based movement working?

I want to implement Farscape d20 rules.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ninjakillzu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Is this script still in development? I want to implement some different types of saves, but I don't know how to make new ones in this method, as mentioned in the description:

Code:
  # Optional saving throw types can be submitted for check customization.
  # This facilitates being able to modify the saving throw result according
  # to its type (example: if you have +4 vs mind-affecting skills).  It also
  # allows you to render certain mobs immune to certain types of skills.
  # Example: skills of type MIND_AFFECTING might be ineffective vs Undead.
Here is the part that I don't know how to add the new save types to:
Code:
  def saving_throw(user, ability, dc, type="NONE", adv=false, disad=false)
    score = Dragons::ABILITY_CHECK[ability]
    roll = rolld20(adv, disad) + mod(ability)
    if actor?
      save = Dragons::CLASS_TYPE[class_id]
      if (save[1]==score[0] or save[2]==score[0]); roll += proficiency; end
    end
    result = roll >= dc
    create_popup("Save: "+roll.to_s+" vs DC: "+dc.to_s)
    return result
  end
I also want some equipment to give bonuses to certain saves as well, but it seems like there isn't a way to actually implement this in the script.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Dev stream today, come on by and ask questions about rpg maker!
Fun fact: If your story introduces a variety of different races, the "human race" will automatically become the most corrupt race in general.
Finally finished my late start entry for the jam. Now. I. Sleep.
Just made 3 easy, simple and small MZ plugins today(12 hours straight), and I never thought I could ever do this.
Now I feel myself being very productive, even though I know I'm just utterly flattering myself lol
Mind: "I have cool ideas! Let's make it real!

Body: "You wanna make sumthin? I'm in."

Eyes: "Go to sleep, go to sleep."

*Sleep*

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmisk