WidgetKitty

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
EDIT: Now there are two more dungeon playthroughs in posts below this, I think they're coming out a little better.

Sorry to make a new thread just for this, but I want to get some opinions on how my cutscenes and storytelling skills are so far. Big Friggin' Magical Adventure is going to have a lot of characters, humourous dialogue and slapstick, so I had to see what I could actually pull off.

This week I made chapter one of the game's third questline (there's post with a synopsis and description of the quests here), since it has far more characters and story than the others. I tried to go through the dialogue at a readable pace, but you might have to pause in some spots (had to rush a little for the 15 minute upload limit!). Let me know what you think, if this is going in the right direction!

Last edited:

dreamfall887

Sun Spirit
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I think you have done a great job so far with the cutscenes! The characters have a lot of personality and charm and I thought the dialogue was fun to read. I also love the protaganist's cute lil fireball sidekick. :D

WidgetKitty

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think you have done a great job so far with the cutscenes! The characters have a lot of personality and charm and I thought the dialogue was fun to read. I also love the protaganist's cute lil fireball sidekick. :D
Thank you so much! I was hoping their personalities would come out.
Still experimenting with the sidekick and what they can do, so far they provide a voice for the character, and explain game functions, all with sarcasm

WidgetKitty

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey guys, I just finished the 20th "Loot Dungeon" for my game, and decided to make a vid since it's the biggest and most complicated so far - wondering if I could get some opinions.

The video shows off a bunch of new things. First a railway system I made for the world map, with a few freight trains cruising around. A couple of other adventurers are exploring this dungeon too - as a side quest, the other 29 playable characters are competing with you in these dungeons. They'll give advice on it, do trades, and maybe battle once that's ready. Last, the green shroom item, which makes hidden stuff glow green. Also made a new background song - I needed something for mechanical themed dungeons.

Here's the vid - thanks for having a look!

phamtruong1992

Green Dragon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
cute game i like your style :kaothx:
ps: but the visual was a huge clusterdump lol. my eyes hurts just by watching you traverse through the train maps

Last edited:

WidgetKitty

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
cute game i like your style :kaothx:
ps: but the visual was a huge clusterdump lol. my eyes hurts just by watching you traverse through the train maps
Thank you!
So, was the movement of the trains distracting, or there's just too many track bridges all over?

phamtruong1992

Green Dragon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I said it by the lastest video you post right above. I mean the world map where the trains raoming around is okay, it is nice even, which i mean for the visual to be very "harmful" to the eyes was the underpass depot maps (dungeon) :kaoswt2:

WidgetKitty

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I said it by the lastest video you post right above. I mean the world map where the trains raoming around is okay, it is nice even, which i mean for the visual to be very "harmful" to the eyes was the underpass depot maps (dungeon) :kaoswt2:
Oh good, cause I had to put a lot into making those trains, and they're central to a few quests.

So it is just too many items around, too harsh of colours and such? I'll be remaking all the graphics eventually, maybe something more subtle would look better?

phamtruong1992

Green Dragon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think the decoration is ok, colors are a bit much at times but it is still doable. The only problem i saw are the shapes of your maps, like the wall's shapes, passages,... all look very messy and clunky. Lots of the time it's really hard for me to even determine where i can go, which parts are passable or not. For one instance, you use way too many kind of tiles (materials) for the walls and floor and they don't even go well with each other.

WidgetKitty

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think the decoration is ok, colors are a bit much at times but it is still doable. The only problem i saw are the shapes of your maps, like the wall's shapes, passages,... all look very messy and clunky. Lots of the time it's really hard for me to even determine where i can go, which parts are passable or not. For one instance, you use way too many kind of tiles (materials) for the walls and floor and they don't even go well with each other.
Aye yeah I get that - it's been a major frustration since the start, finding tiles and walls that match up with the way I build maps. This really is just a beta for now, I'm making about 20% of the game to be sure all my plans will work. Drawing the tilesets will be next, once I'm sure everything else is OK - planning it all out to be much more obvious where you can go.

The decor is going to be roughly the same, but picture a more simplified, cartoony style. Something you'd expect from a Mario RPG, or Pokemon. This dungeon is particularly bad, too; it uses a lot more floor tile types than usual.

WidgetKitty

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I cleaned this dungeon up a little, changed the walls to red and brown to make it easier to differentiate - at least for the demo, before I overhaul the graphics altogether. Looks a bit better I think?
UP Depot F1.png
UP Depot F2.png

phamtruong1992

Green Dragon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, i think it is more tidy and readable now. And less walls with wierd shapes very good :kaoluv:

WidgetKitty

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, i think it is more tidy and readable now. And less walls with wierd shapes very good :kaoluv:
Great! Glad it looks a lot better, and thanks for the feedback. It helps a lot to get the game looking and feeling right before I get too far along.

So, here is another dungeon for anyone to have a look at. I made the final, 50th dungeon of the 4th questline, to make sure I can do everything I planned. Still no fights, but there's a lot of traps on the map in this one that hurt the player. Also made two new BGMs, for this airship and its dungeon. Have a look:

KuunValo

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Finland
Primarily Uses
N/A
Wow your dungeons are so diverse :elhappy: really nice work. How you made that rope go other side and pulling those levelers, crafting etc. I myself only learned to make dialogue and some simple events so i have looong way to go before i can do something like you did with my maps or events.

WidgetKitty

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Wow your dungeons are so diverse :elhappy: really nice work. How you made that rope go other side and pulling those levelers, crafting etc. I myself only learned to make dialogue and some simple events so i have looong way to go before i can do something like you did with my maps or events.
Oh thank you so much!

All this really comes from years and years of trial and error, and luckily RPG Maker hasn't changed a whole lot over time. The event flows start to stick in your head after a while, and it gets much easier to build puzzles and systems like this - you'll get there, just keep at it!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I'm so annoyed with myself...I can't get this code to work so it looks like I'm going the plugin route for a problem I should be able to do myself :kaolivid:Great. Now I get to murder save file compatibility. Again.
Can't believe my code from four years ago is still working! Did some expansions, and...
1635194553179.png
In related news, I may have an update for my old Extra status window plugin ready. That is, once I manage to sit down and update the documentation... and the demo project... :kaoswt:
How does one pronounce Godot? I've heard it pronounced a couple of different ways, and I genuinely don't know the proper way.
March 2020 ...
1635188823939.jpeg
... vs October 2021
You look like you had a rough day...Here, have a Baby Panda!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xtvback