Dungeons & Dragons Collection Thread [21MAR16]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pine Towers, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Pine Towers

Pine Towers Knight Hospitaller Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Disclaimer:

Lunarea said:

So, I guess this doesn't violate the rules, since we'll be talking about a whole mechanical system instead of one project-specific feature.

DUNGEON & DRAGONS
    A RPG MAKER MV QUEST
    (Updated as of 21-Mar-2016)

As a D&D player since the AD&D 2nd Edition, my dream is to make a D&D game and RPG Maker is the most suited tool for this taking in consideration my background (I use RPG Maker since the '95, and known little to none programming language). I know others want to make a D&D game, since attempts were made already (link1, link2, link3, link4, link5) or wished for (link6) and that's why I would like to try to concentrate the efforts on one single thread. (see Disclaimer)

At the moment of this thread creation, D&D at its 5th Edition and RPG Maker last engine is MV. These were what I cataloged so far (see update time), separated by authors (in alphabetical order):

HIMEWORKS

(Last Update 21-Mar-2016)

Hime makes a great array of utility plugins to circumvent the engine limitations to our use.

Core and Fluff: These are necessary for the crunch part, or just add fluff and easiness of control.

Battle Weather

Change Battleback

Common Event Buttons

Common Event Queue

Conditional Choice Text

Custom Death States

Custom Page Conditions

Disabled Choice Conditions

Disable Dashing

End Phase Triggers

Event Trigger Labels

Follower Event Touch

Game Over Events

Hidden Choice Conditions

Hidden Shop Goods

HMS: Pause Cursor

Large Choices

Level Up Events

Lock Facing Direction

Menu Command Manager

Menu Music

Move Route Commands

Movement Direction Lock

More Enemy Drops

Overriding States

Parameter Tables

Placeholder States

Pre-Title Events

Progressive States

Save Title

Self Variables

Synch Save Data

Timer Pause

Crunch: Finally, the plugins that modify the game itself!

Actor Battle Commands

Battle Command: Use Skill

Battle Exp Distribution: So you split the XP by the number of party members.

Counter After Hit

Effect Conditions

Equip Slots Core: Implements, music instruments...

Elemental Negation

Enemy Reinforcements

Exp Tables: To easy make your own XP Table!

Formula Effects

Guest Followers

Parameter Tables: Works with custom parameters!

Pre-Emptive Battle Events

Sideview Actor Enemies

Toggeable States: More like stances, right? Can work for the Power Attack too.

Weapon Damage: Even uses D&D examples!

Requires more Research: I haven't found a nice way to use these to help further the making of a D&D game. Any help is appreciated.

Battle Action Exp

Custom Party Leader

Enemy Classes

Enemy Equips

Enemy Levels

Instance Actors

Multiple Inventories

Party Manager

Random Encounter Events

VICTOR SANT

Victor is a fellow Brazilian with a truly remarkable collection of plugins. He's on my top3 programmers for sure.

Core and Fluff: These are necessary for the crunch part, or just add fluff and easiness of control.

Basic Module

Battler Graphic Setup

Cast Animations

Character Frames

Control Text

Custom Vehicles

Diagonal Movement

Direct Commands

Escape Codes

Even Conditions

Fog and Overlay

Loop Animation

Note Text File

Sfont

Skip Battle Log

Action Conditions: In 4e, getting to half health granted the bloodied status, unlocking new ways to interact during battle, but I'm sure you guys can think of other applications.

Action Dodge: May be worked for Fortitude, Reflex and Will defenses, but I still have to check this plugin fully.

Action Resistance: Damage Resistance!

Action States

Action Strengthen

Battle Advantage

Command Replace

Counter Actions

Critical Hit Effects

Death Counter

Dual Wield

Element Set

FollowUp Skills

Hit Formula: Easy way to make attacks with different hit formulas, like a melee attack, ranged, magical. Works for doing things like a Sure Strike (4e) or a Power Attack (3e)

Incapacitate States: Now you're petrified!

Passive States

Reflect Actions

Replace Actions

Retaliation Damage

Skill Ammunitions

State Graphics

State Replace

Tech Points

Toggle Targets

Trait Control

Unreachable Targets

Requires more Research: I haven't found a nice way to use these to help further the making of a D&D game. Any help is appreciated.

Charge Actions

Enemy Skills

Masters

Materia System

Mix Actions

YANFLY

Yanfly's contribution to MV is so humongous that's no way to quest for a D&D Game without looking for his plugins. I will even need to split them in categories:

YEP01: Core Engine

YEP02: Message Core

YEP03: Battle Engine Core

YEP04: Action Sequence Pack1

YEP05: Action Sequence Pack2

YEP06: Action Sequence Pack3

YEP07: Victory Aftermath

YEP08: Skill Core

YEP10: Equip Core

YEP11: Item Core

YEP13: Passive States

YEP14: Main Menu Manager

YEP15: Base Troop Events

YEP16: Battle AI Core

YEP17: Region Events

YEP18: Region Restrictions

YEP19: Save Event Locations

YEP20: Event Chase Player

YEP21: External Links

YEP35: Stop Map Movement

YEP36: Map Gold Window

YEP37: Status Menu Core

YEP39: Battle Statistics

YEP40: Event Mini Label

YEP41: Actor Variables

YEP42: Battle Status Window

YEP44: Animated Sideview Enemies

YEP45: Swap Enemies

YEP46: Gab Window

YEP47: Extra Enemy Drops

YEP48: Profile Status Page

YEP49: Credits Page

YEP50: Buff & States Core

YEP52: Region Battlebacks

YEP53: Shop Menu Core

YEP59: Aftermatch Level Up

YEP61: Buttom Common Events

YEP62: Slippery Tiles

YEP63: Weapon Animations

YEP65: Extended Message Pack1

YEP68: Smart Jump

YEP73: Message Macros

YEP71: Life Steal

YEP76: Tick-Based Regen

YEP77: Dash Toggle

YEP80: Keyboard Config

YEP81: FPS Synch

YEP83: Change Battle Equip

YEP09: Skill Cooldowns: Use with YEP22 for “Move” and “Minor” Actions that don't spend the actor's turn.

YEP12: Item Upgrade Slots: Magic Weapon Creation, anyone?

YEP22: Instant Cast: See YEP 09.

YEP23: Taunt: Not the best way to keep enemies at bay, but it can emulate the narrow corridors quite well.

YEP26: Critical Control: x2 damage for swords, x3 for axes!

YEP27: Job Points: Use with YEP 28 for things like Feats (3e, 4e, 5e).

YEP28: Skill Learn: See YEP 27.

YEP29: Party System: You must gather your party before venturing forth.

YEP32: Class Change Core: Dual Classes (AD&D) can be done this way, but it really shines when used with YEP 34.

YEP34: Subclass: Allows for Race + Class combo (AD&D), Prestige Classes (3.x), Paragon Paths (4e) or Archetypes (5e).

YEP38: Charge Turn Battle: Battler acting on their own turn order, without waiting for all the player characters to choose their actions. I still need to tweak it to best represent a Round and each battler's Turn.

YEP43: Skill Cost Items: Are you a true hardcore gamer so your Wizard need to bring bat guano? This also allows for improved versions of item usage for a certain class.

YEP51: Weapon Unleash: Allow you to change the basic attack of the weapon. Nice way to make a reach or ranged weapon if you work with YEP 54.

YEP54: Row Formation: The close we have until now to a tactical approach of the battle system.

YEP56: Limited Skill Uses: The Vancian magic (since the 1e) can be easily made with this (as the Barbarian's Rage) as well as Encounter and Daily Powers (4e) and Short and Long Rest (5e).

YEP60: More Currencies: Gold, silver, copper. Electrum, Astral Diamonds...

YEP70: Absorption Barrier: The very first thing I remembered when seeing this was temporary HP, but it can also work for Stoneskin, I think.

YEP72: Item Durability: Swords don't tend to break nor shields to shatter in D&D (even when the option is presented, the best course of action is still to attack the owner of the item), but you can make a quiver spends arrows or magic wands spend charges.

YEP74: Target Core: Now you can cleave the nearest row! Or even better: burning hands on it.

YEP75: Equip Requirements: Why, if you already limit the items by class? Well, you could limit them by race, or even alignment or ethos.

YEP79: Event Chase Stealth: Sneaky thief! Do you think you can move silently or hide around here?

YEP82: Counter Control: Someone said counterspell? Riposte?

YEP84: AoE: Delicious Fireball.

YEP24: ATB

YEP30: HP Gauge

YEP31: ATB Gauge

YEP33: Armor Scaling

YEP55: Enhanced TP

YEP57: More TP Modes

YEP58: Item Synthesis

YEP64: Enemy Levels

YEP66: Steal & Snatch

YEP67: Party Limit Gauge

YEP69: Extra Parameter

YEP78: Special Parameter

YEP85: Hit Accuracy

HONORABLE MENTIONS

Won't list every plugin from them, only the ones more focused on D&D. But they're worth following and may aspire great deeds.

BOBSTAH

Bobstah have quite several plugins already.

Custom Stats 1.3.2 is the one I want mostly for an update, since he promised a rewrite and it was the easier plugin to make custom stats (Str/Con/Dex/Int/Wis/Cha).

MOOGLE_X

Moogle_X is quite an inspiring programmer, with already wonderful plugins.

Equip Skill: Extremely easy to set up either a Vancian spellcasting magic slot (AD&D, 3.x, 5e) or powers by at-will, encounter, daily (4e)

Passive Skill

Trait Extension Bundle

Do you have any other plugin not listed here? Or an idea on how to work within the RPG Maker MV system to emulate a D&D mechanic? Share below and I'll try to keep this up-to-date. Any comments, suggestions or tips? Remember: This thread is not project-specific, so anything regarding D&D (any edition of it) is welcome.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2016
  2. Crimson Dragon Inc.

Crimson Dragon Inc. Crimson Dragon Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    you will need a passive skill plug in to emulate the feats part of D&D...

also why 5th? why not 3.5 or wait for 6th?

3. Pine Towers

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well, maybe the phrase was misleading... I was just meant to say that today we're on the reign of the 5e, but the idea is a collection of plugins and tips and formulas and events that can emulate for any D&D edition, as can be seen with the examples on each plugin.

And yes, a passive skill can be used to emulate the Feats =)

4. Crimson Dragon Inc.

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  5. deilin

deilin Ranger/Elementalist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    My biggest suggestion would be if someone makes a tactics system.

That way you can have ranged and melee combat. Hopefully, they will have better formulas for LOS for cone arcs, and object heights for hiding. I had some success with GubiD, but there was still some things lacking.

6. Pine Towers

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Einherijar, will add. I'm re-researching plugins to make an update on the first post. Thanks for the tip.

@deilin, yes, a strategic/tactical combat engine would be near perfect for something alongside 3.x and 4e. But when I first started, back in the AD&D days (and I'm seeing this back with the 5e), grid combat wasn't popular, so the Yanfly Row Formation works great for this sort of "imprecise" distances (Dungeon World?).

7. deilin

First Language:
    English
    I never played lines like that until jRPGs.

Even in my old P&P days, we used miniatures and rulers, as well as "open room" acting. Rank-and-file battles like that would be too uncommon in most situations. Probably why I prefer tactical games then most standard jRPGs, and still use Ace and GubiD (even though it's abandoned atm) mostly.

I have finally started to understand the scripting in MV that I've been modifying the core scripts directly so things like 99% element damage counts as a damage - 1, and 101% is a damage + 1, and critical damage is a d6 roll. I am working on changing surprise, evade, and even state rates to roll equations as well.

kaukusaki and Marquise* like this.
  8. clark

clark Villager Member

First Language:
    english
    I actually uploaded a plugin today that would allow you to impliment saving throws and such, its called Clark's Hit Rolls,

it does dice rolls for to-hit, to-cast, to-evade, to-evade ( magic ), and to-crit. the critical isn't designed -quite- like dnd, and eventually i will update it so you can do like 5d6 formulas and such, right now everything's roll starts at 1, 1d20, 1d50, etc.... when i add a minimum you can achieve the 2d20, 4d8, etc

link:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2016
    Pine Towers likes this.
  9. Pine Towers

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @clark, may you please link your thread here? I'll make sure to check your plugin and add i to the list in the next update.  :)

10. Crimson Dragon Inc.

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    for the more research.... you wouldnt be using atb but CTB for D&D as it best simulates the battle progression of D&D

also item syntheisis is big for D&D as its basicly item crafting

enemy levels do have a big thing due to D&D enemies leveled..

steal and snatch adds more to the rogue's skill arsesnal

for D&D we would need a whole new accuracy system plug in (and way to make armor a stat) due to how accuracy works in D&D

11. Pine Towers

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello, @Crimson Dragon Inc. !

CTB is on the Crunch list, So I put ATB there because I haven't create a "No no" list. Afterall, even ATB can be used for that Real-Time w/ Pause feel.

Crafting weren't a big deal in AD&D, and mundane crafting weren't in newer versions. For magic craft I pointed out Item Upgrade, although Item Synthesis can be used, but isn't a 'core' concept.

Enemies always retain their Challenge Rating or Level. Only in D&D4E we can see a "progression by level" in the monster creation. And I, myself, am not fond of monsters that scale to the players.

Steal & Snatch aren't common skills for the rogue/thief to use in-combat. But yes, it add a whole new level of depth to them.

So, your ideas are great for certain re-imagination of D&D, but aren't part of the core of the game.

For the accuracy, I did it with Victor Sant Hit Formula. I checked for (1 + Math.rand(20) + a.atk > b.def), but found that, while in the tabletop you can't feel that much, during the MV playtest the amount of misses (66% hit chance is what was aimed for the designers of 4E, for example) makes the combat boring, to say the least. So even I (a purist) think it will need to be tweaked for maximum fun.

kaukusaki likes this.
  12. Crimson Dragon Inc.

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

actually item crafting is a big core machanic in 3.5 (alchemy, arms and armor, fletching, tailoring, carpentry to name a few) in fact inorder to get anything good equipment wise you ahd to craft it yourself or find it as a treasure during your adventure

also for the formula, it should be (math.random(19) + a.hit > b.def + b.eva) to account for how D&D's armor class was based off dex and that attack and hit were calculated seperately and the fact that a 20 was a guarenteed hit (aka a critical attack) but still this plug in requires alot of tweeking to get it to work like it does in D&D

um enemies always leveled with the player...... 4E is the only one to have rules based on how they progressed in all the others you had to assign the enemies with a class and treat them as player characters (since they have actual rules regarding the nonbase races as PCs)

kaukusaki likes this.
  13. Farr

Farr Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Im always open to help with D&D games and ideas.

14. Nol

Nol Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Threadomancy !!

Did any of you guys manage to convert Eva into a proper AC ?

As in my hit will be compared with the Eva value, and

if hit - eva >= 0, then 100 else 0

(as in automatic hit or automatic miss)

i tried fiddling with VE's hit formula (which makes for a perfect and maleable hit rate and Yanfly's hitAccuracy (which by default make it so that hit rate = Hit-eva)

No idea if there is compatibility issue yet, since i cant define eva as a fixed number instead of a %

Else i could skip charisma and rework it into Ac, but that would be my last ditch attempt as it would restrain my freedom

kaukusaki likes this.
  15. Farr

Farr Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese

Im using this setup for my Yanfly hit accuracy;

Accuracy Formula: (Math.randomInt(20) + 1) + (userHitRate + skillHitRate)*100 - targetEvadeRate

and for the Evasion Rate

Target Physical Rate: target.def

Im not using constitution on this game, sadly. I would love to create new stats but after the MV updates they are all broken.

16. Nol

Nol Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Smart move on the constitution, it might indeed be the least important, i'm guessing you give bonus Hp directly ?

So you kept defense as is, but used it into Ac

you're not adding any str bonu to hit ?

Your formula is a D20+ [User mod + skill mod ]x100 -def

Why x100 ?

(i'm guessing you modified Hit rate too ?)

I could bypass evade entierly by setting up constitution as def, i was just relunctant to kinda loose potential (non implemented "yet") fortitude checks

17. Farr

Farr Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Yes, the *100 is to set up XParams correctly.

My hit rate is set like this (Using Yanfly`s XParamFormula)

Hit Formula: (base + plus) * rate + flat + ((user.level / 4) / 100) + (((user.atk - 10) / 2) / 100)

I can`t set up a hit formula for each class, so they will all share the same formula. :(

I decided to give 1% extra chance to hit every 4 levels and every +2 str above 10 works as an +1 hit.

My evade formula is set to 0 in case you`re wondering.

I didn`t want to lose the saving throw checks, but that`s too complicated to do, so I wont even bother. 

We really can`t do a 100% D&D battle style anyway.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2016
  18. Celianna

Celianna Tileset artist Global Mod

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Moving this to general discussion, as it isn't a support question.

19. PsychicToaster

PsychicToaster Best Clairvoyant Appliance 2018 Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    There is actually one in the making over in JS Plugin Development : D

I just wanted say that this thread is fantastic. As someone is inspired by cRPGs and D&D, this is an extremely helpful post. I'm not basing my game on Gygax's work, or even the work of any of the newer D&D rulesets, but I am a more western fantasy/old school RPG fan. Most of my lore and such I'm trying to come up with on my own. There are some plugins I'm using here already, but quite a few of these I didn't even know about. Still plugin shopping, so this post is very timely.If I have anything to add, I'll be sure to post about it.

kaukusaki likes this.
  20. deilin

First Language:
    English
    @PsychicToaster That plug-in was posted after I wrote that, if I remember right. I'm still waiting to see how it develops, and how soon. I have a project I want to start, have sprites already set-up as far as GubiD. I'm still thinking of using GubiD for a while since there are things with MV I really do not like, and haven't been able to edit.

PsychicToaster likes this.