During battle -- how to change "MP" and "TP" in skill cost to something else?

cuby

Perpetual Toil
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hola!

Like many, while I'm using MP and TP in my project, I'm not using the terms "MP" or "TP". I've customized how MP and TP operate in general, as well as how they appear in the main menu screen.

However, during battle, when choosing a skill, the skill's MP and/or TP cost show up simply as MP and TP, and I haven't been able to hunt down a plugin or solution to change that.

Like so:

Image 008.png

I reckon it's not too hard to find where in the code it prints MP and TP in that scene, and change that to something else via a quickie plugin. However, I've got a bit trickier problem: two of my actors have MP renamed to different terms. So, in my unfortunate use case, I've got two separate actors with battle skills that use MP, and MP is called something different for both. Yarrrgh -_-

It's one of those questions/issues that's just very difficult to google properly or trawl through the forum for pre-existing fixes -- too many weird specifics to nail anything down. Would anyone happen to know of any possible solutions to renaming the MP and TP in the skill cost display during battle to different abbreviations depending on the skill or actor?

Until I figure this one out, I'm using a very kludgy workaround by including the MP and TP cost in the skill description, with the correct abbreviations. But, that's undesirable since you only see the skill cost when your cursor is over the skill.

Tricky and specific one, this. Hoping for a hero to point me in the right direction -- thank you!! :LZScheeze: :LZSkiss::LZScheeze:

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That's not the default engine; what plugins are you currently using for the skill costs?

cuby

Perpetual Toil
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That's not the default engine; what plugins are you currently using for the skill costs?
Wow, you're right and I had no idea.

The only culprit I could imagine was Yanfly's Skill Core. Turning that off yielded :

Image 009.png

This is odd for other reasons though ... Disjunct L1 should cost 20 TP in addition to 10 MP -- so the green 20 here refers to the TP, which is great, but does this mean that RPMV only displays one skill cost at a time? It cannot display 10 and 20 at the same time for that skill?

"Frission L2" here indeed costs 20MP. So from what I can tell, the default engine is only showing me part of the skill cost, and the differences between MP and TP is a very, very subtly different shade of bluish green?

More questions than answers, seemingly :LZSyum: So I suppose the post title still applies -- is there a plugin or other alteration I can make that might enable me to at the very least display both skill costs, or even ideally the option to perhaps add icons depending on the actor, and hopefully customize the colors to be a bit more different from each other?

In the meantime, I'll certainly keep researching and experimenting!

EDIT: This is seeming like a very Yanfly Skill Core specific question, so I'll post separately in plugin support. Thanks.

Last edited:

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
MV by default only shows a single skill cost, yes.

When I change the terms for HP, MP and TP in the database, Skill Core updates the labels accordingly. Is that not happening for you?

1599729541216.png

Last edited:

cuby

Perpetual Toil
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
MV by default only shows a single skill cost, yes.

When I change the terms for HP, MP and TP in the database, Skill Core updates the labels accordingly. Is that not happening for you?
Wow, I owe you one -- in all the hoops I've jumped through to change MP and TP into customized strings for each actor, I never actually bothered to change them in the database. YES, that does update the skill cost using Skill Core. Thanks for that!

I'm still wrangling the issue of how MP is something different for each actor. I don't suppose you'd have a hint on how I could customize Skill Core into having a different string for MP according to the actor or, more likely, according to the skill?

In any case, thanks for the partial fix!

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You could do a Cost Display Eval that has if statements for the actor ID and shows a different string depending on that?

cuby

Perpetual Toil
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You could do a Cost Display Eval that has if statements for the actor ID and shows a different string depending on that?
Sounds great Trihan :LZScheeze:

But I'm not even remotely a coder or scripter and wouldn't know where to begin with that.

I don't suppose you still take commissions? :LZSangel:

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I do, but my notetag help is free. :p

Now that I think further about it, though, the custom cost display in Skill Core is just a text thing with no eval, so that won't work.

I think the only way to do this is to have a different copy of the skill for each actor that can use it with a Custom Cost Display. For this to work visually, you'll have to remove actual database costs from it (so they don't display as well) and then handle the resource spending in a Custom Execution tag. But then you'd also have to have a Custom Requirement tag to make sure they have the needed resources in the first place.

Might be more trouble than it's worth, but if you want to go down that route I can provide the notetags you'd need for it.

cuby

Perpetual Toil
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Might be more trouble than it's worth, but if you want to go down that route I can provide the notetags you'd need for it.
So, I've tried to use my Plan B workaround but it's not working. I'm thinking that if Skill Core can be manipulated via notetags, I'd definitely be willing to go that route.

What would work in my favor is that I don't have many skills, and no skills overlap actors. Actor A has about 6 skills using MP, and only he can use them, while Actor B has about 8 skills using MP and TP and they're similarly unique to him.

None of them have particularly complicated requirements, though if I'm reading you right, all of that would have to be handled outside of the database (so, in RPGM they would have actually 0 cost, and everything is done in notetags).

Since I haven't found any other creative workarounds, I'd be willing to go ahead with it. I'd also be MORE than willing to compensate if you're able to help towards a functioning solution. I'm just a solo developer but I did allow myself a budget, and I feel good in compensating people for their time.

Let me know if you'd be willing to try and help put together a solution! And thank you @Trihan :LZSsmile: :LZSsmile: :LZSsmile:

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sure thing, I'll see if I can get this put together for you either later today or sometime tomorrow. Watch this space!

cuby

Perpetual Toil
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sure thing, I'll see if I can get this put together for you either later today or sometime tomorrow. Watch this space!
Consider me blown away by the generosity. Even if you don't allow me to pay you, I promise to pay it forward however I can.

(No but please let me pay you) :LZSsmile:

cuby

Perpetual Toil
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi @Trihan, just checking in to see if you'd had any luck with this! I'm hoping it's still possible to implement these notetags.

I still haven't found any other workarounds that actually fix things here so I'm definitely on the hunt for solutions still.

Thank you!!

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh crumbs, sorry! You have just witnessed first-hand the downside of my genius, which is the times I completely derp me a heckin' herp and forget all about a thing I was supposed to do. Let me add that to my list and I'll see what I can do.

cuby

Perpetual Toil
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh crumbs, sorry! You have just witnessed first-hand the downside of my genius, which is the times I completely derp me a heckin' herp and forget all about a thing I was supposed to do. Let me add that to my list and I'll see what I can do.
If I had a dime for each herp I herped, I would be one rich derp.

Take as much time as life requires man, I am in your debt! :LZSsmile:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Nyeh heh heh

Goblins like spooktober
Welp, ended up at the hospital with the oldest so mebbe might make the game jam's deadline. Maybe not. Regardless, really digging MZ.
I had lots of fun! Kids loved me, and some took pictures. Unfortunately, the videos didn't send... but you'll see Chica in action when I do a trailer for Fandom Scouts!
Dama wrote on akoniti's profile.
Hi
Thanks for your review.
I was checking the trailer for details and as the woman shut the door at the exact moment the song I was hearing said "you slim the door" and I couldn't resist to add it there. :D And I used this idea one more time on another scene.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MalaacSoran