RMMV Dying World (Episodic Series) CANCELLED FOR NOW

What character would you like the Story DLC to focus on?

• Sangard

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Jay

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Harold

• Rott

• Pete

• Kval

• Total voters

leenat40

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Lithuanian
Primarily Uses
N/A

I will be completely honest, and admit that Episode 1 was a failure. If you want to try this game, start from Episode 2. I mean it.
And knowing that, I will be COMPLETELY remaking Episode 1, but until then... It's best that you avoid it.

EPISODE 3 AVAILABLE NOW

"He made my life hell, and I will make his grave"

Mainwithname.png

World Building

The war never ended. A secret organisation called "Treyflow" starts researching "Genetic Modifiers" that alter human DNA to make him immune to fear.

The secret project continues and enters the test phase.

Test phase is coming to an end. 98% of the test was successful. The modifier will soon be available in the US.

New Orleans get's completely wiped out by the failed injection. The organisation is forced to shut down and stop the production and the modifier.

The war is coming to a close...

Somehow the remains of the modifier pollute the drink and food in nearly all of the US.

Most of the pollution produced side effects, altering human DNA even more than usual.

The highest ranking of the officials manage to escape the states.

No one can leave the states anymore, it has become a quarantine zone.

Most of the world agrees to what must be done.

1985 July 21

A small nuke is launched...

Story

A man with a tragic past named Harold joins a group of people called "Rangers", their job is to keep the peace and well being of the people.

Harold and his two trusted co-workers get sent on a simple mission to trade in supplies at the local outpost. When they get there, they realize that the whole outpost has been slaughtered by local bandits...

The Bandits attack, shooting Harold in the head and leaving him for dead...

He survives...

Features

• A Real Time Combat System

• A Strong, Dark Narrative

• Custom Hud

• A Film Grain Effect

Last edited:

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Can you please mark your first tag as "First Tag as Preview"? Thanks.

leenat40

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Lithuanian
Primarily Uses
N/A
Has anyone managed to try the First episode out? What so you think?

baufian

lost gear in the grand design.
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Last edited by a moderator:

baufian

lost gear in the grand design.
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
How far in are you? Ehat do you mean about tge music?
not too far in. i was kinda confused about gathering items and using i kinda got that mixed up. as for the music, it was a nice touch to add the songs you have in, but I think it would be better to go with music that doesn't have vocals. after my kids go to sleep i will try to play more tonight. sorry about the slow reply.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You're stopping because of lack of feedback?  How hard have you tried to share it?  What happens if your next game also has very little feedback?  Don't get into the trap of jumping from one game to another - you'll never get anything finished.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@leenat40: Please remove the red text from your post. Red is reserved for mods (so is blue, so don't change it to that color either).

As for the lack of feedback, stopping after 2 weeks due to low feedback is a terrible idea. There is such a glut of games out there right now, and no one has time to play them all. Try some tricks to get more feedback. Test and post feedback on some games on here. Maybe they'll be nice and return the favor. Or, maybe even offer to do a review swap (I'll review your game if you review mine, etc). I know some people only play finished games (and by finished I mean all episodes, not just episode 1). We have soooo many unfinished projects on these forums and I'd say about 5% of them ever get done, so many like to wait and see who decides to stick with it.

Also, to put your downloads/feedback in perspective, my demo, which has been out for 1 year, has 17 downloads. 17. That's it. But I don't worry about it, because I'm at the point where I need to focus on finishing the game, and not on pushing out a one year old demo. As for feedback, I recruited testers here on the forum and got the critical feedback from them. So way I look at it, my demo is just for anyone else who wishes to see what I got so far, and offer feedback, and if that is 0 people, I got the key feedback already, so I'm not worried about it.

leenat40

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Lithuanian
Primarily Uses
N/A
not too far in. i was kinda confused about gathering items and using i kinda got that mixed up. as for the music, it was a nice touch to add the songs you have in, but I think it would be better to go with music that doesn't have vocals. after my kids go to sleep i will try to play more tonight. sorry about the slow reply.
Haha, no problems :)  If you need help, say it.

leenat40

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Lithuanian
Primarily Uses
N/A
@leenat40: Please remove the red text from your post. Red is reserved for mods (so is blue, so don't change it to that color either).

As for the lack of feedback, stopping after 2 weeks due to low feedback is a terrible idea. There is such a glut of games out there right now, and no one has time to play them all. Try some tricks to get more feedback. Test and post feedback on some games on here. Maybe they'll be nice and return the favor. Or, maybe even offer to do a review swap (I'll review your game if you review mine, etc). I know some people only play finished games (and by finished I mean all episodes, not just episode 1). We have soooo many unfinished projects on these forums and I'd say about 5% of them ever get done, so many like to wait and see who decides to stick with it.

Also, to put your downloads/feedback in perspective, my demo, which has been out for 1 year, has 17 downloads. 17. That's it. But I don't worry about it, because I'm at the point where I need to focus on finishing the game, and not on pushing out a one year old demo. As for feedback, I recruited testers here on the forum and got the critical feedback from them. So way I look at it, my demo is just for anyone else who wishes to see what I got so far, and offer feedback, and if that is 0 people, I got the key feedback already, so I'm not worried about it.
Thanks. Appreciate the help. How much did you pay to get the testers, or are they free? :D

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you want to reply to several people, use the + (multiquote) button to avoid double posting.  Also delete any parts of the quote that you're not directly referring to.  Quoting entire posts one after the other makes it difficult to read the thread.  Or you could just @name the person you're replying to so it tags them, without quoting at all.

Adventurer_inc.

Technically a Programmer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Don't be discourage if people don't try out your game. If all of the developers gave up after a flop, we wouldn't have all of the greatest hits today.

On to the demo. The demo took me roughly 15 minutes to complete.

I am not too critical on story and play games for mechanics, specifically battle mechanic. Unfortunately, you first episode is practically all story and very little unique mechanic.

0) The first post does not introduce the game at all. I would of not guessed that the game was about surviving in a post-apocalyptic, believe it or not. I'll give you an example. In your skill menu inside the game menu, it has a category: Magic, which I presume is a bug. Who's to say that you can't have magic in a post-apocalyptic world? The nukes released ancient dragons who now roam rampage across the desert? Long story short, you literally have to say: This is post-apocalyptic world similar to ours with mainly punching, gun fights, and stuff.

1) The beginning introduction was a huge disposition toss, in other words, it gets boring fast. Even games with the most amazing story out there can be destroyed with a huge disposition toss. There was literally 10 minutes of non-stop talking without a single mechanic being introduced. Which, in my opinion, is a waste of introduction. 

2) 

it was a nice touch to add the songs you have in, but I think it would be better to go with music that doesn't have vocals.
I am going to push a bit on this. Songs with vocals is a huge, and I mean huge, fundamental flaw if used incorrectly. Unfortunately, you used it incorrectly. Believe it or not, humans lack the ability to efficiently multi-task, ie. we can't read and process the story with the vocal playing in the background, it is genetically impossible. For any viewers reading this, it isn't your fault that you did understand the story, I had to mute the music to even begin to absorb the story.

3) I can tell immediately that your combat was evented. There is nothing wrong with evented combat and I would personally prefer events over script as the ends of all, but you didn't control your events well enough to hid the fact that it is evented. A common flaw with evented combat. I am going to leave you to figure this our yourself as this is a review and not a debug, which I already do enough at work. Even if the combat flow irritates me a bit, I must not.

4) Use names in your text box. Your characters look the same. For example, the two bald guy in the hospital.

5) I would strongest suggest against using shortens for non-comedic type games as it reveals laziness and a lack of professionalism, which are the bane of indie developers. For example, 'Y' for 'Why'.

6) The massive desert map lags the game. Fortunately, it was nearly impossible to lag my gaming computer. You had so many events running on the open desert outside of town scene that the mouse movement was affected. I'm sure you were going for the dynamic type encounters such as the Elder Scroll and Witcher series, but even they use rendering methods to keep lag to a minimum. ie. If the event isn't near the player, it isn't processing.

7) You had a giant desert map with no clear direction. It was a complete luck that I was able to find he town to the top left of the map and complete the demo on the first try.

Overall: I apologize if the review seems a bit critical, but this game is in the "Complete" category and will be treated as such. I suggest you go back and work on this episode before moving on to the other ones. I also suggest asking writers, such as the ones on this forum, about how to portrait a story, as my strength is programming and mechanic design.

leenat40

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Lithuanian
Primarily Uses
N/A
On to the demo. The demo took me roughly 15 minutes to complete.

I am not too critical on story and play games for mechanics, specifically battle mechanic. Unfortunately, you first episode is practically all story and very little unique mechanic.

3) I can tell immediately that your combat was evented. There is nothing wrong with evented combat and I would personally prefer events over script as the ends of all, but you didn't control your events well enough to hid the fact that it is evented. A common flaw with evented combat.

7) You had a giant desert map with no clear direction. It was a complete luck that I was able to find he town to the top left of the map and complete the demo on the first try.

As for the story with no mechanics aspect: I understand that not a lot of people like a lot of story. (But I personnaly do, so I tried to implement it) I will try to lower that in Episode 2.

3) I understood that while trying to make a boss battle in EP 2. And to be completly honest... I don't really know how to work around that. (But the point is: I am trying to fix it)

7) There kind of was a path. I tried to make the healing boxes ahow the path, but it may just be I failed doing that.

Anyways, a Huge thanks for the feedback! :)  I am doing everything I can to fix these problems.

Maarv

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Okay, let me start by saying you've done some good work but I have a list of pros and cons for you:

Pros:

1) Good story and has a lot of potential.

2) Good characters.

3) Ambitious setting.

Cons:

1) I found it hard to get to grips with the story being told.

2) Battle mechanic is odd in my opinion because I go in, mash 'e', occasionally press 'q'. Also, I seem to be taking more damage than I'm actually dealing.

3) Music was odd and didn't particularly fit the settings.

I wish you luck with the game and bring on Episode 2 :)  

leenat40

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Lithuanian
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Maarv

I see. Thanks for the info.

But I didn't really get the part you said: "Good story", but later you said "Hard to get to grips with the story"

Also, how long did it take you to beat it? Did you even enjoy it? 

Which part stuck out the most? :D

leenat40

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Lithuanian
Primarily Uses
N/A

Hello to everyone following the game.

I have some good news! :)  

Episode 2 of Dying World, titled: "Shadows" will be released on January 5th.

(Sadly it may be a bit shorter than the previous episode. But it will start a very important line of Events, leading to the finale.

Also, for those who want a bit more info, here are some screenshots: 

Screen 1 EP 2.png

Screen 2 EP 2.png

Screen 3 EP 2.png

Screen 4 EP 2.png

Alastor01

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
N/A
Okay, so I have tried Episode 1 and this is my first game review :)

First of all, well done progressing with your game! (I have zero progress, just making custom graphics)

Now, things that I like:

- Story, it is intriguing and with twists

- Main character who has the potential for further development

- Atmosphere (i like post-apocalyptic stuff)

Things that require attention:

- Use of music, which might be out of place (like you would expect a serious / sad track playing during the beginning as the game describes how the world as we know ended)

- Use of songs with vocal as stated by other people, a bit distracting at times

- It would be nice to have all characters showing their name in the box ;)  I was curious

- Your rooms are a bit too big so you are forced to use a lot of the same objects on the map - try to make them smaller and place objects in specific places (like in the first town when checking two houses, I would expect a smaller room or two even smaller rooms)

- What I need to do is a bit confusing at times

- A huge desert map can lag and makes it impossible to use mouse pointer (I am using middle ranged laptop), also I think there are slightly more enemies and they deal a tiny bit more damage than I would expect :p  They kept killing me and I wasn't sure where to go...

There are some minor map edits you should make (half of window missing on one of the houses in the first village)

Anyway, I am looking forward to your progress! Have fun!

leenat40

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Lithuanian
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Alastor01

Thanks for the detailed feedback.

In my opinion, Episode 2 "Shadows" fixes a lot of these problems. 

So when you can, try it. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I was stunned-STUNNED-to find that I have been working on my current project since November. It feels like so much less time than that.
Stream will be live shortly with some art! Going to do a recolor, then start on a new monster! Feel free to drop by!
I've been busy working on other projects this month so I haven't been able to do much towards finishing the prep work for my RPG, but I did brainstorm some interesting ideas for the game.
redrawing one of three my VNM protags
I'm making my game in both English and Portuguese. I wonder if I should add Spanish too? :v

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jonas930