JOked

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Russian/Latvian
Primarily Uses
Hello!

I'm trying to wrap my head around RGSS3 and one of the things I've been interested is a dynamic event creation mechanic. The basic idea that I had was to make two scripts or, ideally, one that could create a map on the go and place enemies on the newly created map.

Is such a thing possible and if it is, then what are some pointers to look into to start working on such a mechanic?

Thank you in advance!

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes - Tsukihime already has an event wrapper script that gives the framework for creating events by scripting. Search it on her blog.

However, that is not easy to use - most people usually only clone existing events from a master map instead of creating events from scratch.

Cloning events is enough for all cases I've heard of so far, Tsukihime's script isn't used in any game that I've heard from.

JOked

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Russian/Latvian
Primarily Uses
Yes, that is exactly what I've been looking for.

Well, apart from just using it, I'm also interested in the logic of how it works, so as to learn a bit more about RGSS3.

Thank you!

JOked

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Russian/Latvian
Primarily Uses
If you prefer to clone events from another maps... You may prefer to use molegato's event transmutter:
I'm still a little unsure as to what event cloning from a map is, but I'll check that out as well. Thanks.

This will allow you to clone without scripting.
Well, I'm a tad bit more used to reading scripts rather than navigating UI's.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
It means copying an already existing event from a map.

JOked

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Russian/Latvian
Primarily Uses
I see, thanks.

Kai Monkey

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
RGSS3
Primarily Uses
The technique I like to use is to clone an event from a template map, as mentioned, and then make modifications to that event in the code.

For example once commission I had lately had be creating events dynamically for each actor in the database. So for every actor I cloned the event, and had the script replaced the character graphic with the correct character graphic, any examples of the placeholder face graphic with the correct graphic and added the line me = $game_actor[iD HERE] to the start of any script calls in the event. 

JOked

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Russian/Latvian
Primarily Uses
The technique I like to use is to clone an event from a template map, as mentioned, and then make modifications to that event in the code.
Yeah, after taking a few looks at the different scripts suggested, I kinda started to think that it would probably be the better option.

Again, thank you all for your suggestions!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I have a really hard time keeping all these goodies secret til December... but I swear, it is worth the wait!
Working on a Premium version of my minimap plugin that will have advanced functionalities such as drawing a Terrain map based completely on the users tilesets, whatever they may be, and drawing minimap radar icons automatically based on texture of the event the note is applied to.
Psttt come look, this is the secret technique to tenderizing steaks, it makes it extra beefy. :rwink:

pixeldailyaxemeatsheild.gif
#screenshotsaturday update, featuring vaporwave angels lol
Lil' sketch I drew of Nico di Angelo :)
The spooky boi himself ♥
Nico sketch by Artemis Yates.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calignositystudios