Dynamic Menu Scene Plugin - Making a menu similar to Tales of Xillia or Dot Hack GU

Yevn125

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello there!

This is my first post to the forums so forgive me if this is in the wrong place.
I was wondering if there is a plugin that would allow me to create a dynamic menu screen with a wheel like system. When choosing a submenu to enter (for example selecting the item menu), I would like the wheel to have that option expanded. When moving down to the next submenu, I'd like the items option to decrease in size, all of the options move along the wheel, and the next option to take it's place and expand. Here's an image example of what I'm trying to do.

Basically along with the general bust image status window, I want the list of submenus to appear on a wheel that will scroll through them at the player's input. I'm hoping that there's some way to achieve this through a plugin. I've seen the capabilities of the Luna Engine, but I've no experience in Javascript. Lots of the existing menu plugins mostly affect the placement of each window or the availability of those windows. I would love to have some feedback on how I might achieve this effect for my menu scene!
Thanks in advance to those who reply!

Eliaquim

Raze: The Rakuen Zero's Guardian!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese - Br
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi!
Well, exactly as you said, I don't know.
But you can try to make a one like that with pictures(events).

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
it can be done with pure eventing, but it also some pictures, specially on the base how
you want too. but for more smoothless, a plugin is needed for this one.

in case you want to build it with pure eventing, take a look to my image based menu.
Im also working on an advanced picture menu with active update, but not sure yet
if I release it for public, maybe I will, but it take time to finish it nicely.

This picture menu (pure eventing) has menu, inventory, equipment and options.
but also find to alter some plugins for achievements and gallery part, world map.

Yevn125

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you Eliaquim and ShadowDragon for responding to my post!

I hadn't even thought about using picture eventing to make a pause menu. It always seemed like something you'd need a plugin for, but I just took a glance at ShadowDragon's tutorial and I think that it should work for me!

I would say mission accomplished, but I'd like to test this out first before saying anything absolutely lol. I'll try it out and post my results to this thread if there are any issues or not. Thank you guys so much!

Yevn125

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Im also working on an advanced picture menu with active update, but not sure yet
if I release it for public, maybe I will, but it take time to finish it nicely.
Actually, I hadn't thought about it at first, but would I be able to use pictures to display the characters status, the current amount of currency, and time played? Those seem like things that would need the active updating you mentioned.

If there isn't a way to do that currently, I'd be happy to try out your plugin for that!

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
for gold, time, status can also be used with pure eventing, the downside on a picture menu is that
projectiles continue (you might find a way or a switch to disable projectiles and get 0 dmg when switch is ON.

for the gold and time, you can use either 2 things:which is using a variable Gold and show the the gold
amount you currently have, same does for time (but most time pauses during menu)

another way to aproach is (which I didn't dive into in yet) is using SRD_HudMaker.

active pause menu is something different, and also find a way to make a plugin for the kind menu
I want to built. (this one is going very slow while I learn JS still.

There is an Advanced timing system online by the UnProPro, while yo ucan show it on the center top
or left or where ever you want, you can use a switch to it, if switch is ON, show it on the top, else
it will be small and show in the menu.

there are things that are able, but there is also downsides. So you need to consider how you want to
approach it.

for example, the selection menu, you can show it 1 by 1, if you have 8, you need to show 8, if you show
5, you need 5 +1, +1, +1 and if you go back, the same thing, which is 8 + 3 if not miscalculated.

I can try to help you with that tiny built as start, but you have to extend it on your own further.
while I'm busy, it can take time to make the setup for you, but if you understand the tutorial in the demo,
you might managed it on your own.

to many pictures can slow down, or dont update correctly. So think carefully.
Also ask yourself those too:
1) How big is your screen resolution of the game (depends also for how big the menu can be.
Full screen, 3/4 of the screen or 50% of depending on what you choose.
2) how big is your game going to be? small, medium, large?
3) are you going editor style or parallax?
4) are there any other pictures involved?
do you go PC only or only android or both?

remember also, that the demo I have dont have mouseX and MouseY, if you want that as well,
eventing will be much larger (which I plent to do it in the other demo I might release).

picture menu can be either "on current map" or in a seperate menu map.
in case of seperate menu map, you have more room, and all events are controlled there.
instead of makeing a parallel proces on each map to activate the menu in my current demo.

custom menu is always UNIQUE, but its timeconsuming, but its worth it in the end if you
make it fully function.

Yevn125

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey, it seems I've run into some complications with the Evented Image Menu.

I can't seem to play the game with the events on the map. I was following your tutorial, but I wanted to see if it was working mid-way through, to which I discovered that it was not. By the way, your 'Step 3' image doesn't seem to be working anymore.

When attempting to start the game, I'm given the following errors
Errors.PNG

It looks like there are issues with other plugins, even if they aren't directly applied to the map.

If you need info like my screen resolution, it's 1280x720. All of the images for my menu were designed with that resolution, so they should fit the screen. I don't think this is an issue with the pictures though, it appears as though the game is trying to draw up the scenes despite the events disabling them.

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the image menu shouldn't be a problem in overall though, are your plugins in the correct order?
can you screenshot your plugin database?

Yevn125

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the image menu shouldn't be a problem in overall though, are your plugins in the correct order?
can you screenshot your plugin database?
As you said this, I took a look at my plugin database and realized that I hadn't actually put the plugins in lol. I had them in the folder, but hadn't put them in the project, so all is well now.

As I was inspecting the results so far, I am noticing that it's actually pretty flat currently. As in, it's rather rigid and not smooth at all. I remember you saying that if I wanted smooth transitions I would just need a plugin, but would there be a way to animate the images through picture eventing. For example, might it be possible to create inbetween frames for each image and have them show and then get replaced by the next frame instantaneously?

You've been a great help thus far, I just wanted to tell you lol. I very much appreciate the advice and knowledge you have shared thus far!

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
its smooth in the demo, but you can always put 1 wait if you want too.
there are 3 ways to built a image menu.

1) the Demo I built require an event on each map to be able to called when need
2) a menu built in a map where the player goes and return to the map they where
2a) the events are alll called mostly on that map to control, like mouse, buttons, scenes etc.
3) a plugin that can call teh scene on any map any time without making events, but only pictures
are required in this case in the picture folder or the one that is specified.

the menu im going to build while I got the flat frames pieces, and going to make the frames,
buttons etc will be on a map menu where the player transfer too, and built with switches
for specific scenes.

the one you showed looks nice but I got a question for it.

1) is this only the menu you want to use and rest as normal scenes?
2) do you want to make the inventory, etc also with pictures?.

in case for nr1, I can help you built it if need if your stuck, when I got some time here,
I can make a demo for you on the current I have and alter it, but I need to know how many
options you have on menu 1.

if you want it advanced on a new MAP and built the menu, than I can make a basic demo
to get you started (exspect a week or 2 at most)

Yevn125

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
2) do you want to make the inventory, etc also with pictures?
First off, I'd like to thank you for all the help you've given me so far through tutorials and general info. Next, I'd like to show you what I've done.

These are the fruits of my labor thus far. That being said, I'm interested in how I might be able to extend this picture eventing into the submenus such as inventory and equip screens. I'm also confused about an issue that's probably only on my end. It would turn out that my custom window images using the Window Builder additional software has simply stopped working. I don't exactly know why, but it has. Would it be possible to use picture eventing for that as well? For things like battle or just general messages?

My final question is about arranging characters. I've been tinkering with the picture eventing and have managed to get the menu to acknowledge the number of members in the party and what their placement is in it. My only question is: How can I allow party arrangement changes within the menu. As it is now, you can select the arrange button and it will allow you to select a character, at which point, I'll allow the players to select a second character. Upon selecting the second character, I would like for the two actors to swap places within the party. What sort of variable setup/scripting would I have to do to accomplish that?

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
not bad, its really nice :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Ami
4 days im not using my laptop to waiting someone to reinstall (sigh)
Stream will be live shortly with some Donkey Kong 64! Feel free to drop by!
Working on a test Boss for the new No Travel Game Jam
- Name Plugin by Moghunter -
Free RPG Maker Ready Charging Up Animation

Enjoy -No Credit Needed But Appreciated -
Download it at https://lvgames.itch.io/free-charging-up-pixel-animation-fx-rpg-maker-ready
:/ .... so, thought I’d go to the park to sit in the cool breeze and get out of the house a little. Nope, guess that’s quarantined too. Ok...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whypzk