E3 2016

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Seacliff, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Seacliff

Seacliff RPG Maker Mastermind Veteran

First Language:
    Yes
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    Welcome back to our yearly E3 thread.

I'll be honest, it almost slipped my mind since I thought it was going to be later this month, but turned out the date I was looking forward to was the Steam Summer sales. So this thread is a little bit late. Anyways, every press conference has come and gone at this point and Nintendo is doing a stream of basically pure Zelda and Pokemon.

I think this E3 was overall pretty good, it's just not much down my ally. Though the Crash Trillogy Remastered is something I might keep an eye out for. What are you're favorite E3 announcements?

2. Uzuki

Uzuki Kawaii on the streets, Senpai in the sheets Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Sony blew it away for me. Almost everything they showed I know I'm buying the day when they come out. And I loved their presentation over everyone elses. Have a guy talk for 2-3 minutes, show 4 or 5 trailers, back on stage, repeat. It was smooth, fast, and to the point. Unlike everyone else who were just dragging devs and minor personalities to drone on for 7 minutes. Can't wait for South Park and For Honor. Those were some hilarious and amazing game play footage they've shown and Ubisoft made Watch Dogs 2 look good. Although if I get it I won't be using a gun. That completely contrasts with the character they have and looks out of place. Can't wait for the nintendo show to start. Hopefully they show off more new pokemon and then it's zelda time.  

Seacliff likes this.
  3. Seacliff

First Language:
    Yes
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    I've seen little of Sony's, but I've heard the pacing was amazing with game after game and little filler. Glad they've decided to go that route, I think that's what let Nintendo stand out in 2013 and 2014.

Speaking of Nintendo, they're stream is very good so far. It's not mind blowing like Sony or Microsoft, but they are aware of that. It's good and enjoyable for it's own thing.

4. kovak

kovak Silverguard Veteran

First Language:
    PT - EN
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So far i'd pay to play that Zelda and new God of War.

Seacliff likes this.
  5. Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy Rantagonist Staff Member Lead Eagle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Resident Evil 7 for Playstation VR. New Arhkam game for Playstation VR. Spider-man game for PS4. Hideo Kojima being Hideo Kojima.

Yeah, I'm a bit pumped for the next year.

Seacliff likes this.
  6. terrorchan

terrorchan Literally a Gloop Veteran

First Language:
    English
    What I remember from e3:

-"Not Silent Hill" Silent Hill

-Resident Evil VII: Silent Hill

-We Happy Few

-Spiderman

-God of War

-The worst system name ever (XBox Scorpio? lol) 

-LEGEND OF ZELDA BOTW 

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2016
    kovak and Seacliff like this.
  7. Parallax Panda

Parallax Panda Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped... Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Couldn't watch the live streams because my internet connection is currently back in the 90's as far as performance is concerned. So I started to slowly work my way though what Nintendo have uploaded on their YouTube this morning and so far I am HYPED(!) for the new Zelda game. It's better than I was hoping for after they screwed up Skyward Sword.

Overall, it looks like a fantastic year for me since all my favorite game series: Zelda, Pokemon and Etrian Odyssey is getting new games released in the near future and most of what I've seen so far looks very promising. I guess I have to check out Sony's stuff as well later but I don't have much interest in Microsoft besides the Phantom Dust sequel.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2016
    terrorchan likes this.
  8. Square_art

Square_art Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Russian
    Why everyone so hyped about Zelda game? I heard Zelda is an elf or something, but I never played the game. The graphics looks childish. Pixel art games at least has an interesting style, but Zelda.. Does it have a powerful story, great gameplay or something? I don't what to say it's a bad game, (though it looks so), I just try to understand why so many people want to play it?

9. kovak

kovak Silverguard Veteran

First Language:
    PT - EN
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Watch the E3 playtest videos, it should be clear why '='

10. Square_art

First Language:
    Russian
    Just did it. My first impression: graphics looks amazing. 

My second impression: weirdo Zelda has appeared. 

I probably just don't like the character :)

Marsigne likes this.
  11. terrorchan

terrorchan Literally a Gloop Veteran

First Language:
    English
    are you a troll? 

Marsigne likes this.
  12. Parallax Panda

Parallax Panda Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped... Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Square_art Must be trolling really hard, because he just called "Link", the hero of light, "Weirdo Zelda"! :D ...I mean, such a remark is herasy to begin with but even a heretic could't possibility misshear "Link, Wake up!" for "Weirdo Zelda, Wake up!" while watching the E3 presentation?  :guffaw:

terrorchan likes this.
  13. Square_art

First Language:
    Russian

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

:)

Spoiler

>:(

Spoiler

:D   B)

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

No

An evasion to answer a question with a question.

What is GOOD (or not bad) in Zelda? (or whatever you call it, "ink" the hero of night)

14. Seacliff

First Language:
    Yes
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    @Square_art

*Rubs Hands*

Okay let an expert on the subject handle this. I've played every Zelda.

Zelda started back in 1986 on the NES. It is known to be one of the first games with saved data and is ultimately the godfather of many open-world games (Yes, Hylide did it first, but that game's pretty bad, so it doesn't count). In the game you play as Link, you start out with absolutely nothing, and you travel the world looking for dungeons looking for the Triforce of Wisdom. Once you find the Triforce, you fight Ganon and saved Zelda. You could say the first game's plot is similar to Mario's, and that's true, but the gameplay was designed to be the exact opposite of Super Mario Brothers.

However, for the next two decades Zelda slowly evolved into what it was designed to laugh at: Linearity. The next Major game on Snes, A Link to the Past, did give you some freedom on what dungeons you want to do first, but not with the same level of freedom as the first game. Then came Ocarina of Time on the N64, which is known to revolutionize the action-adventure genre in the 3D world, it brought another layer to story telling to the series but at the cost of having to do all the levels in a predetermined order

After that, every 3D Zelda was using Ocarina of Time as a base and every 2D Zelda tried to use A Link to the Past as a base. The majority of Zelda games I do find good, but when 2011 came around with Skyward Sword, I started to get a bad taste in my mouth. The reception with fans was overall mixed (Critics loved it for some reason, but I like to believe they were paid of by Nintendo). Skyward Sword was by far the most linear Zelda yet, and the most story-driven Zelda yet, meaning it can be described as a lot of hallways and dialouge. A huge complaint fans made was the all the hand-holding the game gave you throughout the game, so often the players were told what to do before they can think about doing it themselves. Skyward Sword is by no means a bad game, but even the current director Eiji Aonuma and the creator Miyamoto admits that it's time to break conventions.

So after that came A Link Between Worlds, a top-down Zelda that acted as a direct squeal to the 1992 A Link to the Past. While Linearity still exists in that game, there's a point where the game allows you to choose six dungeons in any order.

Now the next step is this game, Breathe of the Wild. It's designed to break the majority of Zelda conventions that were started with Ocarina of Time. The game is designed to let you do virtually anything you want in the world right after starting... starting with nothing. In short, it's the closest to the original Zelda than any other Zelda games that came between them for 30 years, that's probably the biggest reason for the hype behind Breath of the Wild.

*closes storybook*

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2016
  15. TheAlexG

TheAlexG Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Honestly, so far, in my opinion, Sony has nailed it better then the rest. Nintendo and Microsoft/Xbox had some good things going for it, but the Sony conference was the one that hyped me up the most. Crash, RE returning to its more survival horror roots, God of War, Kojima doing his thing... Was simply impressed.

That aside, I did like the new Zelda coming out. And some of the games coming to Xbox and PC look interesting. South Park and Styx, funny enough, have caught my eye. 

Archeia and AwesomeCool like this.
  16. AwesomeCool

AwesomeCool Bratty and spoiled little sister Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Seacliff - 10/10, couldn't of said it better myself.

Not to mention that the 3D zeldas focused on waiting for difficulty and emphasised importance with waiting (plus being told instead of shown).

I can open 8 chests in lttp before the time it takes to open one chest in OoT.  Makes me feel like I am being told that this item is awesome over the item being awesome for it is in itself awesome.

Do people remember the final boss in Twilight Princess?  I was constantly told link and co was strugglin and he was stupidly strong yet only dealt 1/4 a heart per hit (80 hits to die, more then the boss needs to take?) and can be beaten with very little effort from me (which was immersion breaking).  The games were just getting way to easy and hero mode only added difficulty through attrition really (no health drops? how about actually adding difficulty without screwing with the game pacing by potion money farming).

Plus the hand holding, we have this wonderful open world but can only do things in the order given and cannot even miss barely anything.  Almost as if to physically abuse exploration as a concept (even in OoT there was many signs of this).

Which is why I always said Dark Souls was a better 3d zelda game then the recent ones as they were true to the Zelda name more than the newer Zelda's everywhere.

Which is why I am so excited for the new Zelda.  As it takes ideas from Dark Souls and other great games that could improve it

Other than that, I am more interested in For Honor now, Horizon Zero Dawn needs to be here now and am curious how long it will take for EA's  conference to be completely about sports and not about games (including even the sports game itself ofc).

Seacliff likes this.
  17. Chester

Chester Meow Kitten Veteran

First Language:
    Cat Tongue
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    My favorite has to be

GOD OF WAR 4: Meow Returns....

I hope they make a trailer that's as good as GOW: Ascension

AwesomeCool likes this.
  18. AwesomeCool

AwesomeCool Bratty and spoiled little sister Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Chester - Nah the killer is that the last guardian got a release date.

So either that is a sign that gaming is going to end, or it is going to be good.

19. Confederacy

Confederacy Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Can't say anything really excited me other than Phoenix Point, Oxygen Not Included, Spiderman, and depending on how it looks: the Crash Bandicoot remaster.

That being said, Sony put on a pretty good show.

AwesomeCool and Seacliff like this.
  20. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    You know, I'm waiting for the day they announce Shadow of the Colossus Remaster/Remake.

Especially now that we know Last Guardian is coming out and when.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2016
    AwesomeCool and Seacliff like this.