E3 2017

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Seacliff, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Seacliff

Seacliff RPG Maker Mastermind Veteran

First Language:
    Yes
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    It's that time of the year again. Press conferences are already starting today with plenty more throughout the week. Talk about predictions, anticipation, and your hype being killed/amplified.

Some of the biggest anticipations this year:
    -Microsoft is going to talk about the Scorpio, and we shall see if it is the true Ninth-Generation console we have been waiting for or just another XBONE variation. (Sunday)

-Nintendo will announce new games for their most recent game console, the Switch, unfortunately this is in the form of a pre-recorded steam again. (Tuesday)

Other Major Press conferences:
    EA - Saturday
    Bethesda - Sunday
    Ubisoft - Monday
    Sony - Monday
    PC Gaming Show - Tuesday

Schade likes this.
  2. Arisa

Arisa probably dead Veteran

First Language:
    English/Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Yay E3!! I wish it wasn't age restricted ;w;w;w; but the livestreams! (I doubt I'll stay awake for those.....) aren't!

Even though I'm not really hyped or anything, I hope they have something interesting announced this year~!!

Seacliff likes this.
  3. Seacliff

First Language:
    Yes
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    @Arisa-Chan Personally not as hyped as I would normally be, but I hoped to be surprised.

I guess I'll break the ice and try and start a discussion. A saw a chunk of Microsoft's presentation. I came in right after the new Assassin's creed reveal but dropped out for dinner a bit later, so here are my opinions on what I at least saw. I'm not a big microsoft fan, but I wanted to see if anything here could make me a believer along with project Scorpio.

-The new Xbox seems to be another iteration of the Xbone. Native 4K sound really nice, but not really my thing since I don't even have a 4K tv. :p 499.99 is going to be a lot to ask for players who already own an Xbone as well.

-Assassin's Creed was getting stale for years now, but an Egyptian theme for Orgins is a fresh take and I like the new take on combat.

-Another cartoony-styled moba. Didn't get the title but looks alright? Not my kind of thing.

-Minecraft Shader Mod is now cannon, I guess. Looks really nice. Also I'm assuming there's cross compatibility now? They weren't too clear on that but I doubt they would have any other reason to show a PS4 and a Switch.

-A Black Desert Online port, I wanted to play this but I know that my PC won't handle it. That said I'm probably getting this on PS4 anyways.

-Code Vein, Microsoft's attempt to get the Japanese market (Xbox sales are really crap in Japan). Really stands out from the rest, but I get 'generic anime jrpg' vibes. Wasn't surprised to see Namco behind this, but this doesn't look like no tales. It could have a good plot, but I doubt it will do well as an Xbox exclusive.

-New Dragon Ball Fighting game, looks polished and fun but really nothing new.

-Sea of Thieves has decent mechanics, but I'm confused of what the goal of the game is, unless it's a type of game where you progress your stats and aim to get better treasure.

-Super Lucky's Tale looks... quite fun actually. Seems to be Conker for Kids, but has enough charm to stand on it's on. As a fan of 3D platformers I'll keep an extra eye on this.

I know I missed a good bit, but that's what stood out to me. If you couldn't tell, it seems that I'm not the type of Gamer Microsoft is after. The biggest issue, however, is that the majority of these games will be or already available on PC. I appreciate the accessibility, but that also gives me less of a reason to get a XBone, even if the majority of the presentation was more to my tastes.

I'll give this presentation a 6.5/10, but I could see why someone else would rate it much higher. Can't wait to see what Sony has in store tomorrow.

4. Arisa

First Language:
    English/Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Seacliff
    500 DOLLARS?!?!?! ;w;w;w;w;w;w; I'm too broke for that....... rip

Assassins Creed.... I have never played that game, rip, I might try it if this one is good!!

Moba nuuuuuu, I hate those things!!!! Not only do I suck at combat, sometimes you get annoying players. (Okay mostly all of the time)

Shaders yay!!! Maybe, dunno..... We'll see how that goes.

Black Desert Online, not a big fan of MMORGS, but maybe the port will be good!!! Sometimes ports end up sucking......

Code Vein, hmmm...... It could end up being very good, or very bad, or somewhere in the middle, which always ends up shooting up or down if people really care about it, that seems to be how games work..... :p

A new Dragon Ball game? Meh, it'll probably be mediocre....... Dunno, again, we'll see. :p

Sea of Thieves, I never understood a thing about that game..... Maybe it's sequel or whatever will make sense? XD

Super Lucky's Tale, that LOOKS SUPER CUTE AND FUN!!!! Heheh, he does look like Conker, that game had some things wrong with it though and I'm not gonna explain any further for the innocence of any children reading this. :p

Same here, I'm not a real Microsoft person, and yeah, good point, it's sorta hard to make a console market if it's on PC already...... Console exclusives are needed for the console market to survive. (If I got your point correctly, I think I have.)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
    Seacliff likes this.
  5. Seacliff

First Language:
    Yes
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    It's a game that generated a bit of hype overtime since last year I believe, It's not my cup of tea but I like the cartoony pirate aesthetics and how it ties into the gameplay. I just wish we knew more about an overarching goal.

Also, can't believe I missed this but I saw the trailers for Ori and the Will of the Wisps and it looks really nice, I just wish there was gameplay shown. A personal pet-peeve of mine is when I see a nice CG trailer with nothing shown of how the game plays, that was E3's 2015 biggest issue.
    But that trailer though:

6. Arisa

First Language:
    English/Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Seacliff
    Oooh! The supposed CG for Ori looks nice, BUT THE BUGS THE BUGS I HATE BUGS!!!!!!!!!!

I can't blame you for disliking trailers without gameplay, sometimes the trailers are nice, but the game is crap. -_-

7. AskaRay

AskaRay Tired Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Nintendo's doing a Nintendo Direct again right?
    No reason for me to even watch then. I'll keep my ears open for anything Squeenix wants to say but. That's about it.

8. evmaster

evmaster Think Outside the Box Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I missed it. And sorry if I sound newbish, but I don't really understand the whole E3 conference thing. :kaoswt:
    I know they show off new games. I just want to see Nintendos. That's tomorrow right? How would I go about finding and official link on these things?:kaoback:

9. Seacliff

First Language:
    Yes
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    Yeah, Nintendo is doing a pre-recorded stream again. Followed by three days of Treehouse.
    Hopefully, since the Stream is going to be 25 minutes, they will do what they did on the April Direct and announce titles really fast, they have the next three days to give anything an inside look after that.

Really... you can find it just about anywhere.
    But if you want the official stream for Nintendo, they will start a Stream on their official YouTube and Twitch channel a few hours before they actually start.
    And yeah, I don't normally get myself hype for E3 either. I think some people get a bit too over invested in the event. However, it's the time most game companies save their for biggest reveals. I normally just watch Nintendo myself, but I decided to give more attention to the other conferences this year.

---

I saw a bit of Bethesda's conference last night, but it had too many cutscenes and CG trailers and little gameplay. The new Wolfenstein looks really good though.

I also saw Sony's conference, which was a couple hours ago.

-Crash Remake still looks great.

-Ni No Kuni 2, I still need to finish the first game.

-Monster Hunter is back on Playstation? This looks great but this could have been one of the few big third-party exclusives everybody thought the Switch would have. Now all the Switch gets is a 3DS port of XX.

-Dad of War. Glad Kratos is an actual character now, but I can 95% guarantee that his son is going to die near the end of the game.

-Final Fantasy XV dlc is hear and its... fishing. Leviathan on the logo looks cool though.

-Never played a Spiderman game before, but the new Spiderman looks great.

And I just realized that Microsoft had more Japanese games than Sony...

Other games that I liked.
    -A Nicolas fighting game that includes characters and stages from their licenses, like Code of Princess and Cave Story.
    -MarioxRabbids finally confirmed at Ubisoft's conference. Seems to be a tactical RPG in the style of Xcom. Looks better than I expected, but I wish it was without the Rabbids.
    -Undertale is getting a PS4 and Vita port.

10. Confederacy

Confederacy Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Was certainly better than I was expecting. Only thing I'm hoping for at this point is Nintendo announcing a new Advance Wars, but I seriously doubt that. Ah well.

What I liked:
    Griftlands - Klei always finds ways for me to give them more money.
    WarGroove - I disliked Starbound, but everything they've shown for WarGroove excites the hell out of me - especially the campaign editor
    Spider-Man - I need a Spider-Man fix, and I'm too lazy to work on my Spidey game
    Horizon's Expansion - That snow :kaoluv: I just bought the original yesterday since it was on sale
    Dishonored: Death of the Outsider - It's more Dishonored
    Wolfenstein 2 - I wasn't a huge fan of the New Order, but I'm reinstalling it so I'll give it another shot
    Metro Exodus - I love the Metro games, so yeah, pretty pumped for this

What piqued my interest:
    Forza Motorsport 7 - I mean, I never played the series before, but I've been kinda hankering for a good racing sim lately. I might just stick with Motorsport Manager though
    Age of Empires: Definitive Edition - I was ready to flip my work desk over in excitement at this announcement, until Microsoft stated it's only for Windows 10 store. So close Microsoft, so close.

What I didn't care for:
    Still not interested in getting an Xbox One, even if I have a 4K TV, none of their exclusives excite me and any that do are also coming to PC, so I'll be completely content with my PC and PS4 as usual (might even pick up a Switch down the line)
    Just about everything else

11. evmaster

evmaster Think Outside the Box Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So are there any new directs today? Or did I miss all of them?

12. Seacliff

First Language:
    Yes
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    Nintendo was the big one today, that was at noon.

SPEAKING OF WHICH. A decent amount was announced in 25 minutes. Even with a chunk of that being fluff.

-Rocket League, a little late, but a great game to play on the go.

-Not too hyped for Xenobalde 2, but still looking good.

-New Kirby. Nice to see the series in HD.

-METROID PRIME 4. No game play, but the promise alone is enough for now.

-And as I was writing this, METROID 5 was announced for 3ds. Nintendo won.

-Speaking of promises, new core Pokemon is coming to Switch, but we probably won't see it for a year or two.

-Yoshi's Wooly World sequel. Looks cute.

-The new Mario Odyssey trailer was much more than I was expecting. It looks great.

I expect a bit more will be announced soon through treehouse, but that was pretty good.

13. Arisa

First Language:
    English/Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    YAY!!! That game was so adorable!!! I can't wait for the sequel!

14. SinanAydin

SinanAydin Villager Member

First Language:
    Turkish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I didn't enjoy this E3. Seemed kinda boring to me with the new Xbox One X and all that stuff.

15. Alarkus

Alarkus Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I agree. It was kind of just... bland. I wouldn't say it was bad this year. Lot of really good announcements I was excited about, but nothing that really stood out to me.

16. Sanguine Persona

Sanguine Persona Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I'm kind of guilty that i was as excited about Metroid Prime 4 as I was. I know nothing about it and I am already super excited. There were lots of things that made me go "huh neat" but nothing that really looked amazing to me.

17. Seacliff

First Language:
    Yes
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    I think the psychology behind Prime 4's hype isn't so much the game itself, it's that it actually exists and more will come if it sells well.

Metroid isn't a huge IP, and it hasn't seen good fortune this decade either. The last core Metroid title was Prime 3 back in 2006. Since then there was only spinoffs. Other M in 2010 was criticized for it's poor writing. And last year's Federation Force was criticized for being a gimmicky co-op title like Triforce Heroes. Neither game sold well, and fans were afraid that Nintendo received the wrong message by these sales. Federation Force didn't sell well because it wasn't the Metroid fans wanted, but some people were afraid that Nintendo took that as not wanting Metroid at all.

Now we have a 2D and 3D Metroid coming, neither are being developed in-house but it's safe to say Nintendo does understand want the fans want from the franchise better now. If these game sell well, Metroid as a franchise can still stay alive.

Sanguine Persona likes this.
  18. padr81

padr81 Guy whose game is taking too long. Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Sony held so much back at E3 it was a huge disappointment yet they still seemed to have as good a show as XBox. Its a pity E3 has become unimportant to both as their own shows. Honestly a waste of time this year...

19. Sanguine Persona

Sanguine Persona Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Yeah, the only things I cared about from Sony was Monster Hunter World and the Horizon zero dawn DLC. Everything else was very Meh.