E3 2019

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Seacliff, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Seacliff

Seacliff RPG Maker Mastermind Veteran

First Language:
    Yes
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    Surprised no one made this yet.
    Pretty much all the major E3 announcements have been made. However, the general consensus was that this year was pretty underwhelming, but had a number of high points.

I personally only saw Microsoft's and Nintendo's presentations, here are my thoughts.

Microsoft-
    +Shows a promising number of new indie titles.
    +Xbox Game Pass is actually a pretty good deal.
    +Keanu Reeves, Nuff said. Cyberpunk also looks pretty good.
    +Holy Crap it's Phantasy Star Online.

+/- The confirmation of new hardware is cool, but all we know about it are cliche buzzwords...

-Too many cinematic trailers / Not enough gameplay shown for first-party offerings.
    -The biggest stuff was already confirmed last year.

Nintendo-
    +Smash DLC looks great.
    +The best Square Enix game wasn't even shown at the Square Enix presentation. The Mana 3 Remake looks great. (Albeit I'm more likely to get this on PS4).
    +Finally expands on first-party titles announced earlier like Animal Crossing.

+/- Lots of ports, but I guess it's good they are coming to the console regardless.
    +/- Hyped for more Zelda, but we know nothing about it.

-A bit too much time spent on games we already know about.

Overall, I will say that the second half of 2019 and 2020 are looking to be promising years. Which is great because the first half was pretty slow IMO.
    What are other people's opinions for this year?

atoms likes this.
  2. Yougotsomechocolate

Yougotsomechocolate Random Chest Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    With Nintendo
    +1 with the LM3 Info and gameplay.
    +1 for more MM2 gameplay
    Smash dlc was fine.
    +1 Animal crossing looks great and has a brand new idea
    and -1 because the community kept spamming "SUB FOR X *Emojiis*"

atoms and Seacliff like this.
  3. MushroomCake28

MushroomCake28 KAMO Studio Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    • Final Fantasy 7 (although I really doubt their ability to get the game out in 2020 lol).
    • Cyberpunk 2077 was amazing, especially with Keanu Reeves.
    • AMD announced Ryzen 9 3950X, and the new Navi GPUs (Radeon RX 5700 XT and RX 5700).

atoms likes this.
  4. FleshToDust

FleshToDust Pixel Beginnings Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Highlights for me are Cyberpunk 2077(though I'm not particularly interested in it), FF7, FF8, and many Square Enix JRPG remasters.
    My thoughts are they were all(except for square) cinematic trailers because they had nothing to show. Sony did a good thing by not participating in E3 this year. The others should of followed. Only real successful ones for me were SquareEnix. Nintendo's was alright if you like Smash Brothers.

atoms likes this.
  5. Seacliff

First Language:
    Yes
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    The game's episodic. The 2020 release is just the Midgar segment, it seems.

atoms likes this.
  6. shockra

shockra Slightly Crazy Programmer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I was mainly interested in Smash Bros news. It did NOT disappoint!

Avoiding spoilers, the first new character...well, let's just say that I have a tattoo from that series, so to me, that's a huge deal!

Second character, I like also, but couldn't stand up to the first one IMO.

So...yeah, now I must wait for the next Smash character to be released. It'll be tough, given how much I'm looking forward to it.

7. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Wait, what? So how long until the rest of the game is done then? If I recall the midgar segment was only like maybe 10 - 15% of the game. Does this mean they will have the full game ready in 2030 or so?

8. FleshToDust

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It's a 3 part series. You'll be playing ff7 for the next 10 years.

9. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @FleshToDust : Except Midgar isn't 1/3 of the game. It's more like 1/6 or so in terms of playtime and content, so it's a terrible spot for part 1 to end. At least that is how it has worked out for me when I play the game.

10. Silenity

Silenity Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    great. we'll probs have to pay 60 each episode. awesome. totally cool.

Probs have some stupid prepurchase deal like buy all 3 episodes right now for $500 and u get thise cool plastic keychain along with ur game when its finished in 9 years.

And fans will EAT THAT SHIII UP. and it just gives them more incentive to do stupid practices like it even more.

whack.

11. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Silenity : At least they didn't do this (in spoiler, though it's only a spoiler if you've never played ff7)

Scene where Aeris Dies late disc 1. Game goes to credit roll. Text: Find out what happens from here, with the continuation DLC! Coming 2025!

Edit: Fixed a typo, as I doubt it will take until 20205 to release all the parts.

12. MushroomCake28

MushroomCake28 KAMO Studio Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I don't mind playing in parts, but like @bgillisp Midgar is not even close to 1/3 of the game. At least the battle system and the database is already done, so they'll just have to do the maps and the scenes.

As for the price, I won't play if it's 60$+ per episodes. That would be dumb. I'd be fine with 30$ max per episode.

atoms likes this.
  13. Johnboy

Johnboy Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Microsoft's was ok. We already knew most of the stuff they presented.
    Nintendo's was good. Lots of people were waiting for a new Zelda.
    Didn't get a chance to check out too much else. The FF7 release date honestly didn't surprise me, they've had gameplay footage from Midgar out for at least 9 months. I'd bet on a yearly episode release though. Most of the early work would have been designing the combat system, internal testing, database, etc.

atoms likes this.
  14. Windows i7

Windows i7 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Cyberpunk 2077 is most likely going to be a day one purchase for me. CD Projekt already proved what they can do with Witcher 3, and Cyberpunk looks even more interesting.

15. Nekohime1989

Nekohime1989 'Monks Are Awesome' Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm interesting in cyberpunk 2077 cause i played shadowrun in college. also a fan of cyberpunk in general. that and FF7 Remake 3.3.2020

16. Seacliff

First Language:
    Yes
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
  17. FleshToDust

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well they said it would be a 3 part series a year ago so that's what I'm going by.

18. EthanFox

EthanFox Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Unfortunately this may be tied for my biggest let-down of the show, because it's only Xbox One, and only in the USA. They've explicitly said that there has been no Europe announcement and it's very much US-only for now.

All in all, I thought it was a pretty good year. We've had E3 years which have been genuinely dire (who remembers "TV! Sports! Sports! Music! TV!"?) and this was certainly not one of those.

My main disappointments, in addition to the PSO2 thing, were the number of trailers/CGI videos instead of gameplay (but then every E3 suffers from that these days) and (though I hate to say it, as I don't want to rub people the wrong way), that the FFVII remake, whilst looking absolutely wonderful from a visual perspective, looks like it plays more like Kingdom Hearts/Crisis Core. It's not so much the gameplay, I don't mind change and I liked Crisis Core! I'm concerned it'll have a very linear structure like Crisis Core did, and that Chapter 1 doesn't even have the player leave Midgar - the bit when the game really "opens up". I'll have to wait for reviews.

Stand-outs for me were...

Panzer Dragoon, Nintendo Switch. Huge surprise. I loved the originals on Sega Saturn and Orta on Xbox, so this was very exciting. I think I need to see more before I know if I'm buying, but out-the-gate I was really stoked.

Astral Chain, Nintendo Switch. Looks fun; the expanded gameplay footage on the Treehouse coverage sold it to me.

Watch Dogs: Legion, PS4 in my case - this was a bit of a surprise for me. We knew they were announcing a new WD game, but I honestly didn't expect much. By the end of the presentation, I was pretty sold on it - if it ends up like the footage (who knows how doctored the footage was). Loved the London setting, the "be anyone" hook... Looking forward to seeing more.

Daemon X Machina, Switch. As an Armored Core superfan, I really, really, REALLY want this to be good. It seems to be coming along... But I really hope they improve the framerate.

Main thing was that overall, I came out the other end with maybe half a dozen games I want to get in the future, which is much better than some prior years.

Seacliff likes this.
  19. Seacliff

First Language:
    Yes
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    No European release definitely does suck. But I'm not quite sure about the Xbone exclusivity.
    It's confirmed for PC, has no Xbone version in Japan (meaning they are making a new build just for localization, which doesn't make sense), and has the 'play it first on XBox One' tagline that E3 2017 taught us really means 'one or two months of console exclusivity'.

This was another surprise for me as well, especially considering how much Sega overlooks their older IPs. I would like to see more as well, but what's here is promising.

I didn't recall anything beyond the confirmation that it was episodic, but fair enough. Weird that they'd change their minds on something that probably should have been planned very early in development though...

20. EthanFox

EthanFox Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    In this case, I really do think it's exclusive. Apparently the materials at the show have the Microsoft Azure logo on them - that's MS's server provider business, suggesting Microsoft are even going to run the American servers. That doesn't necessarily mean they can't run on other machines (in Japan the game exists on PS4, Vita, Switch, iOS, Android, possibly others), but I think this time around it's more than a timed exclusive.

I hope that's wrong though, and it's more like you suggest.