Reinarc

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Maybe this would be a bit more 1th grade friendly? as far as the vampire goes...

View attachment 172792

Though it might be a bit too childish. I dunno, My kid has entered the teen years so... totally different world lol

Other then that, great idea! Keep up the good work!

That’s a great vampire! I think it will work really well.

I promise to get around trying out the game next week. This has a lot of potential.

Lady_JJ

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@AeroPergold - Thanks for sharing your ideas. I think, at least for my targeted grade level, using a random number generator approach works well rather than hard coding all the numbers, but I can certainly envision using that approach for more complicated math. In particular, I want to eventually introduce word problems, not just number problems, and I can see your method being really helpful then.
I am rather intrigued by your use of self switches within the common event. I've only just started to more fully utilize common events and I've only recently found that the targeted events are tied to whatever map is currently loaded. This was driving me crazy when I was coding and I'd open a common event to copy/paste a piece of javascript and I'd notice that the event that I THOUGHT was supposed to be affected in that common event was another event entirely and not even related to what the code was about. More than a little head-shaking there for me until I realized that if I just clicked on the referenced map, all was good in the world. I mention this because I can see from your code how a simple 'set self-switch A to on' goes right to the event that called the common event. That is going to be a time and space saver for sure! I love looking at other people's codes, because there is always so much new to be learned. :)

@mmiller9280 - I appreciate you stopping by and chiming in. Glad you like @Finnuval 's vampire. I'm very fond of it myself. :)

Cezar_cr

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Pt
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi @Lady_JJ !
For a while I've been meaning to playtest your game since you were really helpful to design mine (using the input plugin).
I finally found the time to play it, and I have to say I'm impressed!

The story is appropriate and I love the way you fit in different learning goals into the game from healthy diet to time telling to fractions to coin values. Amazing!

But what really stands out for me is the "shop" system you've designed. The kids will have to select the right coins to add up to the price. That on its own is great, but you also made it visual with the coins showing up after selected. We can see a lot of work was put on it.

I like the way ghosts take our coins! Adds a bit of a challenge when walking from room to room.

I found a few minor mapping details to fix.
This tree in the spooky forest:
1611691012582.png
And these leaves:
1611691363290.png

The vampire sprite has a line on top when it's facing the right:
1611691117109.png

I couldn't finish the game yet, but I thougth I'd leave some feedback before I forget about it.

Good job!

Edit: I had a hard time learning the coins. LOL

Lady_JJ

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hi @Lady_JJ !
For a while I've been meaning to playtest your game since you were really helpful to design mine (using the input plugin).
I finally found the time to play it, and I have to say I'm impressed!

The story is appropriate and I love the way you fit in different learning goals into the game from healthy diet to time telling to fractions to coin values. Amazing!

But what really stands out for me is the "shop" system you've designed. The kids will have to select the right coins to add up to the price. That on its own is great, but you also made it visual with the coins showing up after selected. We can see a lot of work was put on it.

I like the way ghosts take our coins! Adds a bit of a challenge when walking from room to room.

I found a few minor mapping details to fix.
This tree in the spooky forest:
View attachment 177083
And these leaves:
View attachment 177085

The vampire sprite has a line on top when it's facing the right:
View attachment 177084

I couldn't finish the game yet, but I thougth I'd leave some feedback before I forget about it.

Good job!

Edit: I had a hard time learning the coins. LOL

Thank you so much for playtesting. I readily admit I am not an artist and the eventing and coding was a lot easier for me than the visuals. I am still quite the novice with GIMP. The tree is probably due to some type of transparency error on my part. I didn't know what a grid was and tried to line the frames up 'by eye' so I'm not surprised there was some overlapping. I've learned a few things since, mostly from the weekly tutorials by @Avery and @hiddenone . It's definitely time for me to revamp those charsets and tilesheets. Again, I really appreciate that you took the time to playtest and leave such thoughtful detail.

Edit 01/29/2021-Fixed forest map glitches. They were actually more, I think, of a layering issue than a transparency issue. Since layering is well above my non-existant artistic talents, I had to delete a few pumpkins. Also, I'm surprised it was only the right facing vampire that had a line above its head as it turns out the whole vampire set was set 1 below where it should have been. Fixed that as well.
Download link has been updated. Thanks again, @Cezar_cr for pointing these out.

Last edited:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

elex 50s face.png

Experimenting with an old 50's style face set. I have done about a dozen variations of face sets for my characters, but am never happy with the results for very long. Different attempts. Second one is the same character as the first image. The third is Ivan, another character entirely.
treele.jpg
A them/they in a forest... a still for the game I'm working on.
Making a blue-magic-heavy game is very fun but there's a lot of extra hassle as well. Balancing skills for both enemy and player usage isn't easy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
controlita