MRD256

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Can someone make me a world map of Earth for RPG Maker MV? A field map.

I want the width to be 500 and the height can be however as tall as you need it to be, also give the player enough room on the map to wonder around. Recreate the terrain as best you can to be accurate with the different parts of the world, and also don't worry about structures. I'll add them in for my game.

Thanks in advance.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
can't work
I wanted the same with Ace some years ago until I did the math - 500 tiles for the equator at 40.000 km means that each tile has to be 80 km wide.
With 80km per tile distinct and recognisable shapes like the italian "boot" can't be done, and most bigger islands (including England for example) would be reduced to one or two tiles.

And that is with the 500x500 maps of VX Ace, MV on the other hand has been limited to 256x256 tiles per map.
So absolutely no can do as that would mean 160km per tile to scale.

EDIT: and if you really have to do it, there is a simple way to do it yourself without any artistic ability.
Take a picture of an earth map from the internet and scale it to 12288pixel width (MV) or 16.000 pixel width (VX Ace). Then make a maximum size map and use that picture as a parallax background with "Show in Editor".
That picture is now in the background of the map and you can simply place tiles where they fit on the map itself until you have it completely tiled.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bex

Bex

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Last edited:

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
also MV is restricted to 256x256, but you can make it to 500x500 or 1000x1000, the downside only is,
if you make it 500x300 for example and edit the map properties and save is, everything behind 256x256 will be cut off
and you keep the ratio of 256x256, so the sound, and everything in the map properties MUST be exact how you
want it and never change it, or everything is lost what you made.

So it would be nice to keep it close and make the a slightly different, like make 4 maps of 256 x 160 or something,
and make the world into 5 pieces with transition or fast transition, to continue, which is much safer as well.

But you cant ask ppl to re-create a world map for you (which is probably not free) and while its your game.
re-creating is also alot of time consuming :)

RMZenith

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Korean
if you make it 500x300 for example and edit the map properties and save is, everything behind 256x256 will be cut off
and you keep the ratio of 256x256, so the sound, and everything in the map properties MUST be exact how you
want it and never change it, or everything is lost what you made.
Wait, So if I managed to do map property in one stroke and never mess it up, than I can do larger than 256 256?
Is there any other known bugs to go over 256? Thansk

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
probably lags if to many events is used (specially for low pc can have it lag alot) when loading it.

but other than that, not to my knowledge.
so you must be very carefull not to edit map properties once you set it up.
it would be a pain if you lose 100-300 tiles wider and cut it off because of a BGM sound change

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is there any other known bugs to go over 256?
yes, there have been reports that a larger map creates problems in the engine as well as in the editor.

The problem with the editor is that you need to create a map to the regular maximum, then edit the mapfile for larger size and then load and work on that map WITHOUT accessing the map-properties. Because the size is set in the map properties and any access to them will enforce the limits of the editor (reduce the map to 256). That is not easy and you should make backups of the mapfile as soon as it is finished to prevent anything from going wrong (like having 75% of your map erased for a single wrong click).

The next problem is that this cannot be deployed to mobiles. One of the reasons for the reduced size limit is that most mobiles simply don't have the hardware capacity to handle larger maps, so your game is limited to full computer deployment

Third (and what I suspect is the reason for where the maps crashed the engine) any plugin that accesses or changes the maps is a no-go after increasing the mapsize. Change tiles, Doodads, parallax plugins, lighting plugins - anything like that and similiar things will have a high chance of crashing on your larger maps, simply because no plugin writer takes that enlarged map into consideration.

And of course the higher demand on computer resources is still there even on full computers, so older ones might fail the same way mobiles fail.

This was made for MV, but maybe it helps as reference. 200x100 Map
Good example, but you can see that the mapmaker distorted the map to make features oversized where needed for recognition and reduced size on other countries to make everything fit the scale. Of course if the OP considers that to be enough he can use such a distorted earth map.

Reactions: Bex

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
you can also make a background of the earth and change the graphic, so you can basicly walk over the full map (block water parts) but you cant
use nay boats this way (at least not easy) changing graphics is a bit easier than using tilesets :)

but if you want it bigger than 256x256, my suggestion cut it into 4 pieces to be safe :)
more pieces is better and loading is faster as well ^^

MRD256

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I mean, that example should be enough. I'm not exactly going for "true beauty". But as I slept last night, I had a thought. What if we split the map up into two or three maps? One for the Eastern part of the world (England, Australia, Asia, etc.) and the Western on the other map (Americas, Canada, etc.).

That way, we can make maps bigger for each respective part, and possibly make them more detailed.

MRD256

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So is this thread dead?

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
dont bump within 72 hours.

you cant just ask someone to "create" a map for you, its best if you do it on your own.
you can make in photoshop, gimp, krita the size of teh map you want to use (400x200 or 500x250)
load the an earth map on it or parts you want, and cut it into 4 pieces (250x125 each)
use it as parallax background and use the tiles to draw over it.

Not anyone have all the time (unless you pay him for the work and the tileset you want to use)
Dont get me wrong, just asking someone to do things for you isn't the way it works really.

hiddenone

Lurker Extraordinaire
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ

@MRD256 , please do not bump your topic unless it has been 72 hours later since your last post. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

Even small maps can take hours, and you're asking someone to make quite a large and (relatively) accurate map. You're going to need to have patience, or to make it yourself if you can't wait.

@ShadowDragon Please don't minimod, just report something if it's breaking the rules.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

SF_Monster3,4 added!

My only regret is the portal mirror effect is too subtle to show up in these GIFs. It probably just needs more sparkles. :LZSwink:
Microsoft: Hey, let's waste money advertising the Xbox Series X when nobody has any in stock, we don't seem to be making more, we aren't taking preorders and you can't get on a waiting list. BEST. IDEA. EVER.
So I'm practicing ITC with a spirit box, and decide to try to contact my deceased soulmate. It actually gave me multiple identifiers. Me, still a bit skeptical, asked aloud "Fine but does he still love me?" and the box spoke and printed the word "Forever" at the same time. Been a mess of tears since. :kaocry:
Been scratching away at my game and making progress, but just had a revelation. I'm working in full screen and adjusting all my pictures accordingly, but will they resize if someone's screen is smaller?? I hope this doesn't turn out to be a problem later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Summer_L7