ShinyRedUmbreon

Wannabe-Animator + Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I have made a thread asking this exact thing, but as I had not provided too many details a script was not found.

What I want is a skill system that replicates Earthbound's skill system. Here's an example.

(in battle, when you press the skills menu, this should pop up)

As soon as this menu pops up, you can choose between three skill types. Offensive, Recovery, and Assist. However, instead of it showing Offensive, Recovery and Assist skill types on the actor commands menu, I want to group it up into one skill type that gives you the option to expand into three skill types.

After you decide your skill type, this will happen:

and it'll let you select some skills based on what skill type you decided(by moving your cursor over to the menu to the right window). Then, you will be prompted to select a greek letter. The greek letters represent how strong the skill will be. For example, PK Rockin β can deal 250-350 damage to enemies, stronger than PK Rockin α(which would deal 100-150 damage in this example), however PK Rockin β costs more MP to use than PK Rockin α. In this example, the battle screen would most likely look like this:
----------- -----------------------
|Offense | | PK Rockin >α β |
|Recovery | | |
|Assist -------------------- |
--------| To all enemies |-----
| MP Cost: 10 |
------------

Then, while you select which skill to use, this small, third window will appear. The window should tell you how much the MP cost is, and right above it how it would target enemies(it would say "To enemy" when it targets one enemy, "To all enemies" when targeting all enemies, and "To enemy" to a random enemy).

Anyways, would this battle system be possible?

Oddball

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Yes. You just need to find a script that would allow you to remove commands, and add skills as commands. Add a offense skill as a command, recover skill as a command and a support skill as a command. Have those skills connect to common events which would give you a list of "skills" (options). Then, when a "Skill" is selected, a textbox pops up showing the information. And if you confirm, it force actions the skill. Make sure offense targets enemies, or support/recover targets allies so you can use "last target" in the force action thing

Edit: You can have charecters learn new skills with conditinal branches in the common event that check the users level

Edit: here
http://himeworks.com/2014/10/command-manager/

ShinyRedUmbreon

Wannabe-Animator + Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Mhm, it's a really good suggestion, thank you for suggesting this, but there is a bit of problems I have from this:
First, if I do this, then the menu will look like this:
Attack
Offense
Recovery
Assist
Guard
Run Away

While I actually want this:
Attack
Skills(Selecting this should ask you to pick between those three skill types before picking a skill)
Guard
Run Away

Although I probably was not clear on this one, my apologies.

Finally, I am not sure how this helps with the skill tier list(what I call the Greek letter stuff).

Sorry if I sound picky, just want the system replicated.

Not sure if this helps, but Touhou Mother and Return of Touhou Mother has replicated this perfectly, but the events is in RPG Maker 2003.

Last edited:

Oddball

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Not sure if this helps, but Touhou Mother and Return of Touhou Mother has replicated this perfectly, but the script is in RPG Maker 2003.
Wait... RPG maker 2003 has scripts? I thought they only used events

ShinyRedUmbreon

Wannabe-Animator + Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Oh, I wasn't thinking when I said this. Sorry.

Oddball

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Anyway, I was thinking this could help with the greek tier list with show choices. The only problem is if the player thiks of a better strategy and cancles. But if you add a state that wears off at action end and gives the user another action when they cancle this could be a solution, except it would trigger stuff like poison. I'll try to look for scripts that could do this better

@ShinyRedUmbreon
I found this about someone asking about how to make a Mother3 like battle system. Maybe you should look at this thread, sense it (appears to) have been solved

https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/mother-3-earthbound-esque-battle-system.81694/

Last edited:

ShinyRedUmbreon

Wannabe-Animator + Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Mhm, it sounds like a good solution, but yes I do plan on using status effects, so this might not work.

And the link is for RPG Maker MV, not VX Ace.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Kitchen counters! I am on my second version of counters. It is slow going and I always see little details that could be done better. Have to force myself to say that's good enough for now and continue on.
I always thought I was just really, really bad at communication, then the internet proceeds to say "lol no".
Almost 100,000 Threads! We should make a celebration. Make a 100K logo? :p
Cursed problem: Multiple language switches. Say, you want to switch to EN language from JP but you have no idea where the language switch in JP menu language.
Tonight I'm finally going to start putting the dungeons my team has made on grid paper into the engine. That's the final step of making the game world.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbxpbenja