Easier JRPGs?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Windows i7, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Windows i7

Windows i7 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've been looking for JRPGs on PC that I can play without getting frustrated all the time, so I tried Megadimension Neptunia thinking that there was no way that could possibly be a difficult game. Well, it was too difficult to even grind effectively as I died even trying that. I already tried Final Fantasy XV, and same issue.

2. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Have you tried Child of Light? I don't remember the game being grindy.

3. Windows i7

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Grindy isn't the main issue. My problem is with games that are both grindy AND difficult to grind. That's a bad combination.

4. EthanFox

EthanFox Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It's an action-RPG, but a game which I found really fun, even though it was very easy, was Solatorobo on the Nintendo DS. Wonderful art style too.

5. SolonWise

SolonWise The Lonely Maker Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If you don't mind graphics, you can try Final Fantasy Mystic Quest, from the Snes. I hope you don't mind using emulators as well. :)

6. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I didn't find Final Fantasy VII that grindy to beat the main story when I played it, especially as bosses give EXP in that game unlike most FF games.

Persona 5 might work for you too, though you may want to put it on Easy mode, as on Normal I felt the bosses were a little too cheap for my tastes.

7. Windows i7

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I already beat Persona 5 twice, and I had trouble with Easy the first time which forced me to beat it on Safe, then carry over end game items to get a good enough start to beat it on Easy.

8. Gallia

Gallia Global Support Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Any of the "tales of" games are easy in my opinion, which is more action rpg, if you want a turn based one, I'd say FF4, FF7, FF10, FF13 are also pretty easy in general, Breath of fire games are not too difficult, i completed 1 and 2 many times without problem,

I'd say any of the Xenoverse games or Jump force counts as JRPG too, but they're fighting, but there is character customization etc etc, so i guess it counts. and both are easy (in my opinion).

Windows i7 likes this.
  9. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    Trails of Cold Steel 1 and 2.. Those are pretty easy as long as you're not running on hard/nightmare. You also dont really need to grind (the game even discourages it by severely reducing exp gain per level), just fight most enemies you see along the way.

Daena Grey and Windows i7 like this.
  10. Silenity

Silenity Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Battlechasers Nightwar is pretty easy. It's also really gorgeous to look at.

Windows i7 likes this.
  11. BitBrosGames

BitBrosGames *Keeps ruminating* Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    Especially Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World. A walk in the park. I liked it though.

12. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Engr. Adiktuzmiko : I think they are looking for games that don't do that though, as it sounds like the problem they are running into is when it lowers EXP gained as you level up, as that discourages grinding.

13. luzi

luzi Freelance Artist Veteran

First Language:
    Thai
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Trails of Cold Steel 1-2 is quite easy, and you can play with Turbo mode that make leveling and traveling in this game not a chore.

Daena Grey likes this.
  14. onipunk

onipunk Archmage of Procrastination Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Final Fantasy IX comes with boosters that make grinding a cinch. You can turn on a mode that makes every hit do 9999 damage, one that keeps your ATB and Trance bars constantly full along with your health and MP, one that speeds up the game time massively and even one that turns off the random encounters entirely. You can also automatically master any abilities you equip on your characters without having to grind for ability points, have the max amount of gil or immediately set your party to level 99. It's almost impossible to fail at grinding if you use the boosters, so just turn off random encounters, turn the other boosters off when you get to a boss and then grind up with the boosters if you can't beat a boss. You can make it the easiest FF game in the series if you want but that choice is left to you.

15. Windows i7

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    FFX HD Remaster has that in it too. I didn't realize other FF games had it.

PikanyaDesu likes this.
  16. onipunk

onipunk Archmage of Procrastination Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    As far as I know it's just those two, the PC release of VII has some weird online setup that edits your cloud save data to boost every character's stat to max and give you 50 million gil, so it's all or nothing which I don't like as much, and if the Steam releases of III and IV are unchanged from their DS releases they'll be pretty difficult (they massively overhauled the difficulty from the SNES/GBA versions of IV for the DS/PC release, and III is barely worth playing anyway on top of just being downright unfair in parts). So pretty much just IX and X (though I imagine the remaster of VIII will have similar boosters to keep it in line with recent releases) but hey, IX and X are two of the best RPGs ever made, so hardly a bad thing. As for other games, Ara Fell comes to mind. It's an RPG Maker 2003 game that has a "story mode" option, which adds a skill that instantly kills all enemies, so you can play through it legitimately and then just use that to easily grind, and it also tells you when you're coming up to a boss what your expected level should be for the fight. It's a pretty inexpensive game too, from what I remember, if you can pick it up cheap in a sale it might be worth a shout. It was years ago, but I seem to remember Breath of Death and Cthulhu Saves the World having a system where there was a cap on random encounters in a dungeon, so that after you had say, ten battles, you would be strong enough to beat the dungeon boss, but they added an option to instantly get into a battle for folk who actually wanted to grind, which I always thought was a pretty interesting way of handling balance and cutting down on mandatory grinding.

17. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    It does discourage grinding but that is what makes it easy, because you dont actually need to grind in those game. If you dont need to grind then lowering exp gain every level isnt really a problem at all.

18. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    The thing is, you think you don't need to grind in the game. Maybe other players struggle with the game? And that is the problem I have when games do that with EXP myself, is it sets a hard line that if you can't figure out the magical solution to the battles by then, you are just stuck.

Windows i7 likes this.
  19. Rukiri

Rukiri I like to make Action-RPGs Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    The Chrono games were pretty easy, trigger being the better of the 2.

20. Windows i7

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    On the opposite of that, you have systems where if you defeat something higher level than you, the exp you get is massively boosted. That can happen in Fairy Fencer F: Advent Dark Force, and I exploited that mechanic to its full potential to get to level 999. Strategic grinds can be fun in certain games.