• Total voters

DeltaLime24

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It has come to my attention that if a developer is going to make a game more than half an hour long, there needs to be a lot of skills and enemies involved. The issue with this is that if said developer keeps adding new ideas (new skills, armour types, troops etc.) the menu in the database can get a little chaotic and reorganising can be a pain when lots of things have already been assigned to treasure chests, dungeons etc. Here is an option I came up with:
  • The ability to create a folder system in the database menu that allows for grouping different things together.
  • A lot like this system:
  • Capture2.PNG
    nR2uiaV

Code for Implementation:
I am not fluent in Javascript outside 3 weeks of high school lessons that have long since been forgotten. I can however, suggest adding a value at the end of each line of code in the .json files in the data folder to instruct which folder the thing would appear in when being viewed in the editor.

The code would look something like this:
tU9YGQg

Capture.PNG

Mockups:
FA4E83B

Mockup.png

Why is this feature good?
This feature is great because of the following:
  • A cleaner interface helps organise data faster and easier.
  • Bigger games look less daunting when carefully organised. This can encourage more ambitious games to be successfully created.
  • Placing the wrong enemy or item in the wrong place is an issue that is less likely to occur (I don't know how often this actually happens, but minimalising the risk of this issue occurring is a good idea anyway)

Possible issues with this feature?
Issues that might arise from this feature:
  • Some things in the database might be difficult to place into a neat category.
  • The interface change might take a bit of time to get used to, just like the other features of RPG maker.

Last edited:

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Staff member
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
RPG Maker MV has a very strict ID system unlike VNM where it allows you to organize database like this. So I guess what I'm saying is that I don't know if it's even possible. Considering what if you want to move ID #19 to a Folder with ID#200 etc.

@Liquidize ping!

Provois

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
I'm sure something like this should be doable. The maps have a strict id system too and RMMV allows you to build up a tree structure with it.
So +1 from my side and the same for variables and switches would be nice too.

peq42_

Yeet
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese(BR)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Actually It would be nice to also have objects in MV like they're in that image, because then we could repeat an object in more than one map, making the process of creating easier/faster and reduce the size of the .json files. Having musics, fonts, images,etc also there make it faster/easier to manipulate resources, since you can drag'n drop stuff from one place to another.

DeltaLime24

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sorry for replying late, but in response to Archeia, but a better communication of my idea is that each line in the database would have a tag. The folders merely act as a search filter for lines of code with the same tag.

But what elpeleq has said is also a good idea.

Last edited:

SmashArtist

Lazy Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You know what else would be a great add on for organizing? A way to have the code in an event in folders, so if you have a large amount of eventing it's easier to navigate through. :)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

just when I thought one of the greatest game of all time couldn't get any better, they announce a new dlc for it.
For anyone interested: there's another huge humble bundle with JRPG assets + a game jam starting next month - it's for a good cause, so check it out <3
Turning a specific vibe into reality is incredibly difficult. For instance, this song is one of the ones I listen to when working on my post apocalyptic project, and getting it's "feeling" into the game has been a real challenge.

I don't just wanna regurgitate the numbers I see, I wanna actually understand the calculations I'm making so I'm probably gonna make a post later with some calculations and what I THINK they mean to get some advice and corrections.

Edit: All (Most) of these will be tested in game prior. I just wanna make sure I understand what's going on under the hood if you will.
my girlfriend calls all my little chibi art cute lol... funny considering that wasn't the original art style of the game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traviscot