Easy Party Leader Change Button?

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hello game makers!

I'm actually finishing up a game this week and one of the final touches is adding some way to easily change your party leader with the press of a button! It's a basic horror puzzle type game but one of the key elements is having to interact with things with both party members for different results/consequences. There may be an item that Party Member A won't touch, but Party Member B thinks it is useful and will take. I'd like a way to be able to map changing the party leader to a button, instead of having to go into the formation menu every time. It is always just between the 2 members, no more than that. Any ideas?

As a sidenote, I am a bit new to RM in general but was wondering if there is any mechanism to map buttons to a gamepad. I've been playing with a PS4 controller and it pretty much sets itself up luckily... however if I add this party leader change function, I want to be able to know what gamepad button will do it and not just the keyboard button.

Thanks in advance for the help! :D  

kecleon2

Truly?!
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
EDIT: Oops, I just realized this was for MV. I don't think MV supports the swap method that VXA had in its scripting. In that case, there's Galv's MV Quick Arrange Party, which does open its own menu but eliminates the need to go into the pause menu. It's not the fastest solution, but it is better than going into the menu.

There's also PrimeHover's Swap Party, which is exactly what you want, but I haven't tested or verified the plugin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
EDIT: Oops, I just realized this was for MV. I don't think MV supports the swap method that VXA had in its scripting. In that case, there's Galv's MV Quick Arrange Party, which does open its own menu but eliminates the need to go into the pause menu. It's not the fastest solution, but it is better than going into the menu.

There's also PrimeHover's Swap Party, which is exactly what you want, but I haven't tested or verified the plugin.

Oh thanks! So I checked them out and the PrimeHover Swap Party is exactly what I need! Just a button press and it switches, much like some of the older 16-bit RPGs. 

My only issue is that I intend this to be played with a gamepad (at least for the person the game is made for) and I can't seem to get the party swap button to map to a controller, regardless of which button I choose. I am using Yanfly's GamepadConfig, but that only allows me to map buttons for the basic commands (OK, Cancel, Dash, Menu) and a PgUp and PgDn command. I tried switching the party swap key on the keyboard to PgUp and PgDn, which works wonderfully. It will switch my party without issue. However, when I go to configure my controller, no mapping for the PgUp or PgDn will switch the member, despite the keyboard button still working. I hope that makes sense. If I can't resolve this, I will probably just scrap the gamepad idea but wanted to see if anyone had ever toyed with this dilemma. Thanks so much! 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Kid : "MOOOMM! My poop is bloody red!" Me, an intellectual : "There's worm parasite inside your body. You gonna die soon."
Caught a guy trying to break into our house today. Appearantly he intended to burgle our neighbor (a 94yo widow) but picked the wrong house. Faced with two angry males he was quick to give up without a fight...
I just joined the club of nerds making their own Excel-Sheets to calculate HP / MP / EXP.. parameter curves
Me: "Finally finished most of my game backlog. Probably time to do some gamedev" | Steam: *offer sales*
If I recorded while I created (what I think is) a small plugin, would you be interested enough in the process to watch it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lanzy