Eden - Ecosystem puzzle

Discussion in '2014 Indie Game Maker Contest' started by aspirestudios, Jul 1, 2014.

1. aspirestudios

aspirestudios Villager Member

Heya everyone,

So this is my team's lil' game, the result of a few weeks of agitation and trying to make chaos into order.

LINKIE: Eden

[​IMG]

Description:

It's a puzzle game that we hope is quite unlike something you've played before, it revolves around bringing balance to a desert ecosystem and making it flourish. There's a few tutorial levels at the start that will teach you the game mechanics and then there are some missions that you must complete. We make enough puzzles to last through the indicated playthrough time of about an hour and if you complete those you can then play forever with the Random level generator.

What's that mean?

The basic idea behind the game is that you will start with a desert filled board and a few water sources (depends on the level) that can give out a limited supply of water. With this in mind, you begin morphing the land around the desert into various landscape types: grasslands, forests, settlements, farmlands, etc., bearing in mind that each tile will have some necessities and requirements in order to live, flourish or be upgraded into something else. Then, spice things up with animals that will boost your score but keep an eye on them so they don't "devour" all your greens.

We hope it brings a new type of puzzle game to the board. We could really use some feedback on this as we plan to expand the game after the contest with a lot more features.

It was great fun making this game as it helped our little team find each other and collaborate to create something in what is not that big a time span, especially for a new team.

You can also play the game directly in the browser if you don't wish to download it: Browser Linkie

hyde9318 likes this.
  2. hyde9318

hyde9318 RMC Coordinator Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    What was a very cool little game. Pretty addicting, I must say. Played it for a bit. It gets challenging too, which is good. I like the concept, but also the simplicity. Very good work on this!

aspirestudios likes this.
  3. aspirestudios

Thanks a lot, it's very rewarding to know someone enjoys your games :D

4. Adellie

Adellie NPC Veteran

Hey there, 

I decided to try your game since I like a good puzzle and it was playable from the browser.

I encountered a few issues: the puzzle menu not updating, and desert blocks turning white.

But overall, I enjoyed it very much. It was short, fun, and without any unnecessary features. I only wish there were more challenges! :thumbsup-left:

5. aspirestudios

Thanks a lot for the nice feedback. Yeah, the desert blocks seems to be an issue that someone else has reported as well, but I couldn't quite catch it during testing. We're going to release a version with lots more environment themes and puzzles after the contest, we had to publish it with a few challenges for now due to time issues :D

6. Zorax87

Zorax87 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
  7. E1Alpha

E1Alpha Warper Member

First Language:
    Dutch, English
    As the main artist that worked on Eden, I'm glad to see that there was no negative feedback on Eden's artstyle. Though it wasn't mentioned at all, so I don't know if I should be calm about it either.

Still, glad to see our game managed to deliver so well.

8. Jamgun

Jamgun Warper Member

First Language:
    Romanian
    I like puzzle games, and this one is no different! The music is also great as well.
    Props to the developers!

9. aspirestudios

Yes, you guys have all been awesome in the work you did for the production of this lil' game of ours, especially since it's our first and I feel a big shoutout needs to go to our producer who put us all together and made us work like slav--erm, good colleagues and is busting his proverbial round things to make everything go smoothly. Ok, that sounded a lot more professional than we are, but finishing a game is very rewarding.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2014
  10. Indrah

Indrah Megane Berserker Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Here's my very quick and sketchy take on the game (link for info on why it's so short and all that jazz)

+Presentation is clean (except for he text sidebar being a bit too cluttered)
    +Actions and changes on screen were smooth with satisfying sound cues.
    +The art was appealing in a simple and understated way.
    -I have no idea of what I’m doing and honestly the tutorials were hard to follow.
    -The text on the sidebar was too tight and all the same colour, so it was hard to keep track and I soon lost interest.
    -It seems like some of the mechanics were a bit contrived or not really easy to understand at first glance. Oasis needs a forest and water and grass? I…didn’t think oasis worked like that?

To the developer: I really can’t say much, this game is not really my thing and I’m a dumb dofus. The only thing I could objectively say I that the text sidebar is too hard to read (combination of fishy font+too tight+all same colour).

11. aspirestudios

Thanks a lot Indrah for taking the time to review and stream our game, it really means a lot to us. We're currently hard at work redesigning and improving the tutorial and the game history so that it's a lot easier for everyone. Most of the feedback revolved around the fact that we need to make the learning process easier and smoother and that's just what we're going to do first for Eden. We still feel it has great potential if only it were a bit clearer. :)

Geoff Moore likes this.
  12. aspirestudios

Hey guys,

This has been a very and interesting contest and we heave learned quite a lot, especially from the people who downloaded and reviewed our game and we'd like to thank you all for this.

Eden has since received a massive facelift and has had the experience significantly improved, both in gameplay as well as in tutorials. It also features a lot more levels now with different kind of challenges such as limited moves or different shaped maps.

We've released it for purchase on Google Play Store (for the mobile version) and on Amazon (for the Desktop version).

Amazon

Google Play Store

We would really appreciate any purchase and/or review and thanks again!

13. Merlandese

Merlandese Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Wow, it looks a lot nicer! Good work! I hope it does well. :)