RMMV [edited] "Magic Moon" (working title): Short introduction and a poll

Would you be interested in playing this game?

• Yes, would love to! Like the style, too.

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Sounds nice but is an eye sore...

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Maybe I would give it a try. If it's free. And has no bugs.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, probably not. (Why not? Please specify within a post.)

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Other. (See post.)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Dingsbums

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello lovelies!

I need your help. That's why I humbly ask for your opinion today. I'm having that special game idea for several years now and I started game dev for it a long time ago. Then I realised I'll probably have the greatest trouble in trying to get this thing done, coding-wise. See, I'm more the idea and systems planner and pixeler and never programmed anything other than simple prompts in delphi and turbo pascal. Yeah, I may be old, too.

Anyway, I would love to get this game into existence. Unfortunately, I'm a responsible-minded adult with an unsuspenseful, but time-consuming life. I even have some social ties and hobbies! I had to accept that it's very unlikely I could ever create this game on my own. So, the nifty person that I possibly am B), I tried to convince my talented and free of charge siblings to join me in some kind of family endeavour. But my sweet brother, who speaks the languages of c#, javascript and others fluently, has his doubts -- soooo much work and what if nobody wants to play it in the end?

And here I am and ask you: Would you be interested in playing something like that?

Here comes the info:

I made some kind of advertisement poster for you to provide a feeling for the style and my pixel art skills, which I practise passionately but nevertheless need improvement. I'm aware of that and I continue practising of course. So, everything is open to change.

mm-poster.png

Genre: relaxing simulation (most similar to farming sims like Harvest Moon and Stardew Valley) with RPG-elements, single player
  • Live the life of a student of the magic arts at Bear Castle.
  • Participate in classes of various subjects to learn spells and skills.
  • Get good grades to earn a degree in the end.
  • Experience the relationship system and make friends (or enemies) with your classmates, earn the trust of your teachers or the inhabitants of the nearby village.
  • Explore the vast surroundings of the castle, find treasure and secrets.
  • Train your combat skills against the wildlife or in duels.
  • Solve quests to boost your relationships or to get special items.

• Equip your character with unique talents and quirks, decide upon their gender, birthday and favourites.
  • Choose a family background and experience a unique family questline through the game.
  • Discover your magical talents and get educated at Bear Castle - the top-notch school for learning magic in your neighbourhood! Attend different spellcasting and other classes (like alchemy, animal care or sports), learn about the magical world around you and needless to say: learn spells! Research the art of magic at the school's ancient library, meet and eat at the hall or relax outside on the meadows, the boat house or the stables.
  • Join one of four school houses and become a determined Arcanist, an even-tempered Druid, a wise Shaman or a fierce Witch. Every house has unique spells, rituals and other secrets.
  • Master your needs and pay attention to your hunger, your hygiene and your energy. Sleep and eat regularly, take a bath once in a while and you probably won't get ill. On the other hand, you could do so many other, more interesting things if you sleep just a little less or skip a lunch. And who needs these showers anyway, right? Maybe you could utilise that potion you learned to make the other day...
  • Meet the peculiar professors and classmates and bond with the ones you like. Accomplish quests for them, get them gifts they like (or hate) and learn about their secrets. Help them with decisions and have an effect upon the way their lives progress. Make friends, enemies or maybe you can find a very special someone (in the most innocent and sweet way, so no marriage and kids, of course -- we're talking about children and teens between the ages of 11 and 19).
  • Explore the big castle and its vast surroundings like the enchanted North Woods or the mystical forest named The Shadow, the Schlutter Bog, the dangerous Grendel Hillocks and more. Or make a trip to the near Starfall Village on the other side of the Sphere Lake, work for its strange inhabitants, go shopping or meet friends and strangers at the cozy Twinkle Tavern.
  • And of course: Use your newly acquired magical skills for exploring and defending -- the wild creatures of magic and mayhem may be up to something... nefarious. Find treasures, collect herbs or bugs, enchant your clothes and train your battle prowess.
  • Discover all four seasons during the course of the year, see the different weather and take part in several festivities like Love Day and Ostara in spring, the great Summer Festival, All Hallow's Eve and Harvestfest in Fall or Winter Market, Winterfest and New Year. Collect festival specials and participate in mini games and competitions. Travel home and bond with your family during school holidays.
  • In an exciting, several years lasting questline learn about the deeds of darkness, unravel Bear Castle's mysteries and mess with it - or don't.
  • And in the end of course: Earn your degree.

Thank you for your participation! :wub

Last edited:

standardplayer

Keeper of Kitties
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
It all does sound fun, but it also sounds like it has the potential to get lengthy. Without much time, and your siblings as your only help, I'd be careful of the scope of the project.

As for the art, it looks very nice! I'd say though that the backgrounds are a bit too light, and cause the pixelated nature of the characters to look a bit blurry to me. I think they both look great, but I would go with darker or deeper colors for backgrounds, even if only slightly. I think that will make the sprites pop more.

Overall, the game sounds fun, and I think all the content could fit into a shorter or longer scope, as long as one is intentionally selected and stuck with as the idea and project are developed.

Good luck, hope the project moves forward!

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
im no fan of harvest moon or know the game in general and only by its name.
but if its a nice game with at least adventure in it, I might help you bug test it.

if I like the game, I would even do a full bug test for the game that I find, but you
still need a couple more testers to filter out most bugs.

Jhale M.

Goddess of health, purity and truth.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
Information overload. This game is not well-defined right now because you brought up so many concepts that need to have a specific plan of implementation and it seems like these things could be really hard to fit together in a meaningful way unless it is a lot more minor than you are advertising it to be. A lot of this stuff can be done pretty simply but with the passion in your advertisement/explanation, it seems like you want to make all of these points impactful and if you were to go hardcore into all of this stuff, you might need like 100 people to work on this and I'm sure you would need more practice just managing people and how you assign their tasks before you can think on that scale.

It sounds like you want to capture the essence of everything involved and it is confusing as explained here. The Sims is a more simple game because you are just trying to avoid starving, learn skills and make money, but with what you have explained on this, those more direct goals wouldn't make sense. Staying in school isn't a very major task as the majority of people are going to pass or the school wouldn't be so successful. You really need to explain what the major goals are. Perhaps major goals in the main section of the game and what you work toward in the side sections of the game. Usually a game concept like this requires some major threat arriving that will make it harder to survive that generation of school more than most in the past.

The closest this game sounds to something I have played before is Magical Diary and that game was heavily simplified compared to what you are saying and still managed to be somewhat impressive in its scope. Hm... I guess that game actually didn't have a villain that I encountered and instead you were given difficult exams (but it was a bit stupid as you had no way to prepare for them and it was more dangerous than it should be).The game with the villain I was thinking of was Long Live the Queen, which is a truly overwhelming game, but does a great job at being appropriately complex for the most part and is better than Magical Diary in my opinion. In Long Live the Queen, you had to manage mood primarily and if expanded a little bit more, sounds like it would be better than a hygeine system and such.

Dingsbums

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you for your feedback! I really appreciate every comment, because I want this to work out in the end. :thumbsup-left:

@standardplayer
Yes, the scope of the project is big - I'm totally aware of that. At the moment, I'm keeping my eye on this and playing around with features in the background. Thank you for your feedback on the pixel style. I'll change some things up to make it more consistant and less blurry. :)

@ShadowDragon
Thank you for your bug testing offer! When I have something ready to bugtest, I'll get back to you! :wub

@Jhale M.
A huge thank you for your constructive criticism! Because I already worked so long on this idea, I may have underestimated the confusion that my advertising text could cause to someone who never heard about it. Your reaction shows me that it's totally unclear how I imagine the gameplay. Therefore I'll go up and change the text to make it more informative and drop some of the concepts that are not that relevant for major gameplay. I hope it gets clearer and I would appreciate if you could read it again. :thumbsup-left:

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Personally, I loathe simulation games, and I loathe hunger/thirst/sleep systems. Sorry. I hope you are able to create your game though!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

My plan after learning to make my voice girly "Wow! You sounds cute!" "But actually I'm a man!" "Nooooo!!!" hehehe...
I get haunted from bugs that emit a terrible stench after being killed.
At first, I was going to put player objectives on the screen labeling it as "Helpful voices"... But that's dumb, I have a madness system. It will simply whisper objectives.... I mean they're probably objectives. The voices wouldn't lie right? They're friendly, and ...helpful. So clearly you should do what they say. Just watch the dark corners of your screen for advice and it will all work out! :LZSexcite:
Take care of your immune system: Go to sleep. If you looked at the clock an hour ago or four and it was way late then maybe now is the time. Mmm sleep...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rbennin