Editing Permitted Tag--What does it mean?

Guardinthena

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I apologize if this has been asked before, but I can't seem to find anything about this. To me, the tags on the store products seem vague sometimes and I don't know where it is clarified. In particular, what does the 'Editing Permitted' tag mean exactly? That we are allowed to edit the materials within the resources, (seems anyone would do that anyway to get variety), or does it actually mean that edited resources within the pack can be distributed so long as it is free?

Very curious about this, in particular the FSM tilesets for MV. None of the older DLC's state this except the newest one (FSM: Castle and Town Tiles). I've been doing edits of the existing tilesets, frankensteining and editing unique pieces together, like turf roofs, workbenches, alternate tomato plants and more and I wanted to share these with the community, if it is allowed of course.

EmmaB

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
"Editing permitted" does not mean you can share your edits.

Some people have been doing really bad edits of resources, and when people see their games and the horrible resources, the reputation of the artists suffer.

So some artists have a limitation in place that you cannot edit their tiles at all - recolours, altering, frankenspriting - with those packs, you use the tiles as they come and are not allowed to change their appearance.

Don't assume that if a pack doesn't have the "Editing Permitted" tag, that you can't do it. I suspect the older packs weren't updated to have any flag about this when it was brought in. But I expect if you weren't allowed to do edits, it would have "Editing Permitted" with the red "banned" circle and line.

@Touchfuzzy are you able to confirm that please, and advise, for packs without the tag, is editing acceptable?

Guardinthena

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Thank you both for clarifiying, and thank you EmmaB for the link. It has been something that has been bothering me for awhile.

Some people have been doing really bad edits of resources, and when people see their games and the horrible resources, the reputation of the artists suffer.
^That was/is a thing?! I had no idea! The editting permitted tag makes sense now, although now I'm a bit stressed out.

In the case of the FSM tiles, since that's what I'm currently using, I've made edits of the resources so the style fits. So far I think it has been from the first pack which doesn't list the Editing Permitted, but the latest one does? So I wouldn't be allowed to publish the game with those edits, whether it be commercial or not?

Due to the discrepency with the older and latest packs, was the store not updated to reflect that editing is permitted for all the packs? Was that tag created later and that's why it doesn't show? Just seems odd that the artists would allow it for their latest and not their older dlcs.

Need clarification on this now, since I was planning to make my game commercial and I've dropped a lot of time into maps. Like I said above, feeling a bit stressed out now.

EmmaB

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Did you check the EULA for the DLC packs that you have? It should tell you if you're allowed to edit the resources for your commercial game.

Guardinthena

Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Thank you for making the suggestion-I'm struggling with about five things on my end plus an encroaching headache.
So, something a little odd. I bought FSM through the store here, but I only have the EULA for FSM: Autumn Woods and Rural Tiles and FSM: Castle and Town, despite the fact that I bought all four.

Despite that, the EULA for both packs states personal edits are allowed for commercial or non commercial games. Again, thank you for the focus. One less thing for me to stress about tonight. Greatly appreciate the assist.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So far I think it has been from the first pack which doesn't list the Editing Permitted, but the latest one does? So I wouldn't be allowed to publish the game with those edits, whether it be commercial or not?
That's what I mean - the new tag was introduced after the first pack was released, and the packs already in the store may not have all been updated to say whether you could or couldn't. So don't assume that you can't just because the "Editing Permitted" tag isn't there.

Glad to see it's in the EULA. I don't know if that would be true of all packs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

How do you cure sleep problem? It has been 7 months and it's 3 AM now..
Darn you, Seals! Why do you gotta be so cute when on land?:kaoluv:
So dragonbones getting laggy xD
I even removed the fingers armatures.

Have to remake this guy after crashing ( corrupted file).
:rtear:

Although limited to only this shop for room decorations, I like this aspect for previewing items.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnthonyDewitt