Editing the Character Generator

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by Kip, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Kip

Kip Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hello! it's me, back again, trying to do things that RPG Maker MV would rather I not do~

Today, we are making changes to the Default character Generator built in to RPG Maker MV! wooo!

You see, it has come to my attention that the RPG maker software's limitations make in game characters be rather...bland. All humans all the time...every so often we get cute little ears on their heads...but where's the excitement? Where's the diversity? I want MORE! And so I set about making my very own RPG Maker game. And everything is going wonderfully! But you see, I am no artist.

Sad I know, And so I am forced to commission artists for each and every single sprite in my game, even the random 1 off NPC  characters that have one line of dialogue and simply fill in space in a town. As you can imagine, That gets rather expensive! It occurred to me that this the reason why nearly all RPG Maker games have the same old plain jane human characters...no one has the cash to pay to buy custom sprites for literally ALL the people in their world!

And so, without further adue, I give you the beginnings of the customized custom character generator!

Let me introduce you to random citizens # 1, 2, 3, and 4! I can assure you that they are very happy to meet you~

Random_Citizen.png

Updated to show progress with Custom Character Generator (Now with new Expressions, Hairstyles, and clothes!)

Spoiler

Random_Citizen.png

And look here, they each even come with their own sprite sheets!

Random_Test.png

Pretty darn cool right? I know! Now we can introduce so many more types of characters into our games!

"But hang on here Kip...ssooommmething seems a little off about them...Where is their upwards facing sprite? I think I can see the very tips of the ears down at the bottom...but they seem to be cut off..."

Well my astute friend, that is because I have a personal quest to make my own life far more difficult than it has to be! you see, the normal RPG Maker MV sprite is, as everyone here I'm sure is aware, 48x48 pixels. And so the resolution of the file for each individual sprite sheet that the character generator puts out is a nice and even 144x192

But not me! nnoooo I just HAD to go and want larger than normal sprites. My sprites are 48x62 That means that the full resolution of the entire sprite sheet would be 144x248 

Now RPG Maker normally has no issues with this! it just takes the resolution of the file you give it, divides it up into even segments and *poof* just like magic, your sprite is represented correctly. But it doesn't seem like the character creator has those same smarts!

So my question is two fold:

#1 is this something that interests others in our community? Would you guys like to have the ability to generate sprites that are more than just humans? Add a little spice to your world?

And

#2 Does anyone have any advice about editing the character generator? Specifically around getting it to change the dimensions of the sprite sheets that it puts out? If there is no way to do this by default, is this something that is possible to be done with some kind of plug in? If it is, I will pay top dollar to anyone willing to create this for me!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2016
  2. LadyBaskerville

LadyBaskerville Hell-poodle Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    There is no way to change the behaviour of the default generator as far as I know, but a wonderful person named Schlangan has made an extended generator which you can download here:

I haven't worked with it, but it says

in the thread, so I suppose it should work with your sprites?

Bitschi likes this.
  3. Kip

Kip Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Oohhh mmmmyyy goodness!

This might just be the answer to everything! Literally ALL the things~ 

I can no wait to try this out and see how it goes! I'll definitely post back here if everything looks good! Thankyouthankyouthankyou sssoooo much! I can't believe I couldn't find this!