Editor crashes randomly

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by ze1, Jun 10, 2017.

1. ze1

ze1 Veteran Veteran

I'm experiencing a lot of trouble with the editor randomly crashing on me. Sometimes it's browsing the database, sometimes it's editing a map... the worse is when it happens when I try to save the project. I haven't noticed any pattern to it.
    There was one time when it corrupted my Animations.json file (it had 0 bytes). Fortunately, I had a backup, so I didn't lose a lot...
    Still, it's kinda annoying how unstable the program seems to be. Is anyone having the same issue? How can I fix it?

2. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    1.5 version?

3. ze1

ze1 Veteran Veteran

Yeah... but previous versions were also crashing. I was hoping updating would solve that problem.

4. taarna23

taarna23 Marshmallow Princess Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Do you run an antivirus software? It might be interfering with MV's normal functionality, causing unexpected failures.

5. ze1

ze1 Veteran Veteran

No, all I have is my firewall.

6. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Are you saving to your hard drive or to a USB? Do you have plenty of space available? Are you saving to a folder that gets synchronised with an online service automatically?

7. ze1

ze1 Veteran Veteran

Yeah, I have plenty of space in the HD, and the folder isn't being synchronized anywhere. The crashes happen randomly, not only when saving. Last time happened when I was editing a map.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  8. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Not sure where to go from here. Nobody else has (that I've seen) been complaining about the same issue, so it's got to be something with your system. I'd be looking at what else is running in the background at the same time, check that all your drivers (esp graphics) are up to date. Open up Task Manager and go to Processes and see what else is running in the background.

9. Poryg

Poryg Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps Veteran

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I don't have a problem with crashing rmmv, but with crashing rmmv games... However my case is a potato pc :)

10. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @ze1
    there is absolutely no randomness in any computer (even the so-called "random generators" are never truly random, just following a mathematical function that no human can calculate), and the editor itself has been proven stable on thousands of other PCs, so it has to be something on your computer that causes these crashes.

And without more info, we can only guess like above.
    Here are a few more guesses:
    1) have you tried to reinstall the editor to see if the file has been damaged?
    2) if you don't have an antivirus, it might be that your computer is already virus-infected and that virus is crashing MV when it tries to infect it
    3) some other background program like parental guidance programs, network user security or so on blocks the editor
    4) use a program like checkdrive to read out the SMART-status of your HDD - it might be short of a hardware failure and in that case you'll need a new HDD within the next few months.