Animebryan

Need more resources!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just as the title says, the editor keeps crashing on me if I edit several entries in the database without saving for a while.
This is what appears in the error:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: RPGMV.exe
Application Version: 1.6.1.0
Application Timestamp: 5b29b473
Fault Module Name: Qt5Qml.dll
Fault Module Version: 5.4.2.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 556a6c7e
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000a6960
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
using it on a pc, mac, stand alone, steam?

any of those are important to note as well, so its easier to ensure the provide better solution to your problem.
Everything works a slightly different from mac/pc and stand alone/steam version.

Animebryan

Need more resources!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What's the difference between the PC version & the Standalone version?

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
You could be running the Steam version on PC or Mac.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
can you give us the full path to the folder where your editor program is stored, as well as the full path to the project that is active when the editor crashes?
If you make a new project, does that also crash in the same way?

There are a lot of possibilities here, and we need more info to check.
For example the program itself could be damaged - and if you have the steam version, then a damaged steam download cache can result in all tries to reinstall failing until that cache itself has been repaired.
Or it could be that the active project is stored in a restricted folder, causing the editor to fail on some save attempts
Or it could be that an OS-update caused an incompatibility with drivers (happened with an windows update one or two years ago)
or a lot of other possibilities

Animebryan

Need more resources!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you make a new project, does that also crash in the same way?
I started a new project & spent all day filling up the database & it eventually crashed after a while. Got the same error as before.

can you give us the full path to the folder where your editor program is stored, as well as the full path to the project that is active when the editor crashes?
G:\RPG Makers\RPG Maker MV\RPG Maker MV\Gacha World

The fact that this only occurs if I add numerous entries without exiting/saving for a while makes me think its some sort of memory issue.
Especially since I've been copying & pasting multiple entries over & over.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
G:\RPG Makers\RPG Maker MV\RPG Maker MV\Gacha World
wrong folder names - even if it has nothing to do with editor crashes, it will cause problems with the game later.

RMMV creates HTML5-games, and that means that all filenames and all foldernames should follow networking rules.
Networking rules means no spaces and latin letters only - the reason why all spaces in error messages are converted to %20 (just check any example) is because the browser has problems handling them.
Windows has an override that Microsoft has programmed to force the browsers to understand spaces, but that is neither perfect nor will it work in other deployments than windows.

A while ago with one update even the editor was changed to block the use of any file with a space in its name due to the fact that this will cause problems on deployment that were hidden behind that windows-only override.

you didn't answer the other questions about which version and OS you're using, please do so as we still need to look for whatever causes this
And I not only asked for the project path, also where your editor program is (although for other reasons)
are you using any form of cloud-storage?

Animebryan

Need more resources!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The version was in the error info (v1.6.1). My OS is Windows 7. I've been using MV on my flash drive & it never caused me any problems in the past. These crashes only started recently with my current project. As for the file path, that provides both my project & the editor itself (the folder before the project named folder). I don't use cloud-storage.

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the cause might be flash drive outdated.

I would recommend to install RPG MV on the C drive (standard) and project may be placed elsewhere. but even
USB flash drives can crash if overheat in rare cases.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As for the file path, that provides both my project & the editor itself
Then that could be the cause.
A program always consists of two parts - its files itself and the windows registration.
MV uses the windows registry to store some data, and if you're using the usb drive to switch between different computers then that registry information might not be the correct one in all cases. That is of course in addition to any problems with the drive registration, which works differently for external drives than for internal ones (has to do with how and where data is cached, and is also one reason why you need to tell windows that you want to disconnect the USB drive before unplugging it as it would otherwise loose data).

Can you please install the editor locally and test if it has the same problems when using a regular local drive for itself (project can remain where it is, as long as you remove the spaces from its foldernames)

Additionally, I have seen the version of the editor 1.6.1 but that is NOT what we were asking for.
Did you install the editor through the steam environment or did you install it from a setup downloaded from this website, or from where else?
There are differences depending on where you got your 1.6.1 from, and that is what we meant with "version" of your editor.

Daniasty

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The version was in the error info (v1.6.1). My OS is Windows 7. I've been using MV on my flash drive & it never caused me any problems in the past. These crashes only started recently with my current project. As for the file path, that provides both my project & the editor itself (the folder before the project named folder). I don't use cloud-storage.
I had the same problem. Some random crashes dealing with the database (for example, when I opened dialogue boxes or watched animations) or opening the plugin's window...
In my case I have the steam version (last version 1.6.3 I think). The solution was in steam preferences by dissabling scalling of text and other option I cannot remmember now (maybe switch of the steam interface - I can confirm you later). Doing that, my program runs better and there weren't any crashes.

My OS is Windows 10.
MSI Leopard Laptop.
16 G RAM.
Intel Core i7 8th gen.
Nvidia 1050 Ti.

Animebryan

Need more resources!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well I have the stand alone version from the website so that solution won't work for me. I think its a memory problem, maybe due to copying & pasting several database entries. I imagine all that copying & pasting racks up info somewhere that doesn't clear. I usually avoid it by saving after every 10 database entry edits.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Animebryan you never answered about the test I suggested above. Because it is unlikely to be a memory issue unless your computer is really low on memory.

Animebryan

Need more resources!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Animebryan you never answered about the test I suggested above. Because it is unlikely to be a memory issue unless your computer is really low on memory.
Are you talking about moving it to my C: Drive? Because that ain't happening! If I had originally kept it on my main drive (even just the editor & not the project), I'd have lost it when I screwed up my last Hard Drive. Its only because I kept it on a flash drive that both the editor & all my resources & projects were spared. Besides, I've been running MV off my flash drive for over 3 years & it never gave me any problems like its giving me now, so I know it has nothing to do with spaces in the filepath.

And even if it was the case, I'm not changing the folder names or relocating its location. If the editor really has a problem with where I store it, it can kiss my ass! (LOL!)

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
Well if you go that reasoning, once you lose your flash drive, say goodbye to your project and MV too.. No matter where you install it, there is always the risk of losing it.. and well losing flash drives is quite normal too, probably more than losing a whole computer.. You can also always back up your files into your flash drive even if you install the maker in the hard drive..

Plus Andar is just suggesting you test it out first, no harm in trying...

Its hard to help someone who is not willing to follow and try stuff.

And even if it was the case, I'm not changing the folder names or relocating its location. If the editor really has a problem with where I store it, it can kiss my ass! (LOL!)
Goodbye my fellow RM user.. LOL!

Animebryan

Need more resources!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well if you go that reasoning, once you lose your flash drive, say goodbye to your project and MV too.. No matter where you install it, there is always the risk of losing it.. and well losing flash drives is quite normal too, probably more than losing a whole computer.. You can also always back up your files into your flash drive even if you install the maker in the hard drive..

Plus Andar is just suggesting you test it out first, no harm in trying...

Its hard to help someone who is not willing to follow and try stuff.

Goodbye my fellow RM user.. LOL!
What do you mean 'lose my flash drive'? My flash drive isn't going anywhere. Nothing is going to happen to it. My flash drive is immortal.
And what's with that last line? Are you trolling me? :(

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
My flash drive is immortal
Go on believe that if you want, dont come crying when your flash drive gets lost or damaged or whatever that renders it unusable.

Animebryan

Need more resources!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Go on believe that if you want, don't come crying when your flash drive gets lost or damaged or whatever that renders it unusable.
What are you talking about? Nothing can happen to my flash drive. I live alone so no one can mess with or steal it. Nothing is going to accidentally damage it either (it's such a small target that it isn't damaged easily).

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Nothing can happen to my flash drive.
EVERY device has a lifespan. And everything can be worn out by use. There is absolutely no difference between a harddrive and a flashdrive in that regard - they use different technologies, but they can both be worn out with time, and then they will loose their data. That is only a question of when the device is used and old enough. Happened to me several times, and that included memory cards and flashdrives that were a few years old.

The ONLY way to prevent data loss is to have multiple copies on different hardware. So in that case installing the maker again would help you by creating a second program at a different location.

And I explained it above:
A setup does more than just copy the program files, it registers the program with windows. And if you move a program to a different place, not all of that is registration is moved with it.

And now I want you to use the setup program (preferable a new download of the setup program) to install the editor correctly to make sure all its registry data is present in its correct form and then test if that works.

As I said, I don't care about the program on your flashdrive, I want you to run the setup again that installs the maker to make sure that the registration data on your computer is correct and not damaged.

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Andar Moving files can make some files corrupt while it can read from its other drive.

@Animebryan Best way is to unistall MV and reinstall on its C drive (make sure every file is removed (use revo unistaller for it)
and test it out, make a backup for sure. most software wont run optimal besides C drive. sometimes it works, sometimes it dont,
because it needs it roots. With that, it require to read files on the C drives of windows. if it doesn't exist on the D, E, F drive,
it wont run or run incorrectly.

I know this, because I did alot of test of software and used software :) Most software NEED to be installed on the C drive,
backup its setup on other drive is best this way and for backups.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I am feeling better about my update schedule, I feel like I am actually getting consistent work done even if it isn’t big updates.
It's a joy to work on a well-made map. I am not regretting this commission in the least!
I'm currently being attacked by the RPG Maker Hydra: fixing one problem only to have two more rise to take its place.
Hey you! Yeah YOU! Whatcha doin' not backing up your projects? You a masochist or sumthin'? GO BACK UP YOUR PROJECTS! Sheeesh... Didn't think I'd hafta spell it out for yas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lavdiasmylove