Educational game - license problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nashir, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Nashir

Nashir Warper Member

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi guys,

I'm a final year medical student and I started to work on a educational game for medical students which I would give for free with a possibility of donating money to me and people who help me with it.

Because I use a lot of medical books I started to ask, if there is a problem with authors' rights. I've contacted lawyers and they asked me, if there wouldn't be also a problem with the software license.

I've bought RPG Maker MV so I read RPG Maker MV EULA... If I understand it correctly, there shouldn't be a problem with distributing my game as long as I don't break the authors' rights (4. User Games do not violate statutes, laws, regulations, orders, or public order, and there is no risk of such violations.)... right? I know, there are other things I have to do, but this is for me the biggest issue I'm trying to solve right now.

Can someone help me answer my questions, please? Can I distibute my game, if I would manage to solve the problem with authors' rights? Or are there other problems which I don't see right now and that could make distributing my game problematic?

2. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

I've moved this thread to General Discussion. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Moved it here since it doesn't really pertain to selling a game.

3. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If you plan to receive any kind of income from the game (including donations), it would be considered a commercial game.

As long as you have purchased MV and all the resources you are using have either been purchased or the author has allowed commercial use, you will be okay. If you have any purchased/downloaded resources, safe to make sure you encrypt your game when deploying.

As for the medical books, you would need to follow the normal course when you use materials from other authors - list them in a similar way to how you'd reference if you were writing a paper. This could be in a readme.txt file that is included with the game. You don't have to do anything IN the game to recognize them.

4. a beautiful pig

a beautiful pig Warper Member

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If your work is free and for educational purposes, there shouldn't be any problem with using citations from academical works.

If you're going to accept donations, I would recommend setting up a website on WordPress and add a "Donate" button. Or make a Patreon and accept monthly donations. If you don't add the donate button in the game, then it's still Non-Commercial.

At least that's what I think having read some online posts and with my limited knowledge of copyright.

Also, good luck with your project! :kaojoy:

EDIT: I just remember a good example from a game that uses copyrighted citations, Will Wright's games, and the Sid Meir's Civilization Games.

5. Nashir

Nashir Warper Member

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you so much for answers Shaz! I'm happy to hear that there shouldn't be any problem with RMMV license. And it's great to know that I can put bibliographic references only to readme.txt file and not directly into the game.

And thank you too a beautiful pig! I know that if it would be free than there wouldn't be any problems with references. Problem is that law won't see it as free, if there is a possibility of donations (even though donations are voluntary). Donations mean commercial game (at least that's what I undrestood after the first discussion with lawyers). I'll probably look into games you suggested just to see, how they dealt with it :)
    I really like the idea with WordPress. I intend to put the game on itch.io with option "pay what you want", but maybe if I put it there for free and give people link for website with "Donate" button made with WordPress... it might give better impression. I'm not sure about Patreon... I know about it, I thought about it... if I have succes with this first game, I'll reconsider it. Thank you for your insight and encouragement! :)