Educational RPG - NPC that that changes based on PC level or abilities

TruBeast

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey all, first of all I'm REALLY new both RPG Maker and this forum (first post - yay!!), so sorry in advance if I do not use correct terminology or post structures :).

I'm currently working on my 1st RPG designed to help my kids to assist them in areas they are struggling in a way that's in fun and enjoyable. The idea I am stuck on is I want to create an NPC they can visit (let's call him Mr Teacher).

When they talk to Mr Teacher, I want him to be able to test whoever is the current party leader based on either their level or "non activatable" skills they possess which they will auto receive as they hit certain levels, whichever is easier (side note, I'm hoping that you can change who is leading the party so depending on which one of the kids is playing they can have their character as the leader... if this isn't a thing then I could use some help with this too please :) ).

For example:

Let's say John lvl 5 and is party leader. At lvl5 John has non active abilities A,B,C,D,E .

He interacts with Mr Teacher who holds up 3 RANDOM flash cards that contain letters between A - E and then asks John "which of these is the letter "C"". John then has a multiple Choice question to choose "1,2,3 or enough questions for now" if he is correct he will be rewarded with XP, if not he will be told he is incorrect and Mr Teacher will pull out 3 new cards and start again.

If leader changes say to Jack who is lvl3 and only has abilities A,B,C then Mr teacher will run the same exercise but only with flash cards A,B,C

...hope that the above makes sense :).

Now, not to get too tricky with it (Haha I dont even know if the above is possible) but what I would also like to do if it can be done is scale the xp based on lvl vs answer

Example:

John's current newest letter is E, so if he is askeda question where E is the answer I want him to receive 5xp...or max xp...or...open to suggestion here on scaling this. If he gets a question where A is the answer, then he only receives 1xp...or min xp...or any other suggestion.

Again hope the above all makes sense and sorry once again if I have mutilated any forum rules!

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@TruBeast 'Game Mechanics Design' is for looking at aspects of game play at a more conceptual level. "How do I...?" (implementation) questions belong in the Support forum for the engine you are using.

According to the information under your avatar, you are using VX. I am assuming that this is an error on your part and that you mean VX Ace, as virtually no one buys VX these days as it was completely superseded by Ace.

[mod]I am, therefore, moving this to RPG Maker VX Ace support forum. If in fact you are using VX, please report this post and ask for it to be moved.[/mod]
You would do what you want with a combination of conditional and switches, but as I'm about to leave for work, I'm not able to give the time to answer. However, you should get your info quite soon as it is simple and straightforward.

TruBeast

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey Kes,

Awesome thanks for the reply and sorry for the trouble. Ah - your right, my bad. I am actually using version MV... should I be using VX? Also, does that mean the post will need to be moved again?

Super excited to get some help with this - big relief that it shouldn't be too complex to achieve.

Thanks again for your help and sorry for the trouble!

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
can be done by eventing - I suggest you follow the link to the starting point in my signature and then to the variables guide, that should point you into the correct direction. You'll need to learn eventing to do what you want as well, so you should take one or two weeks to work thorugh those tutorials as well.

VX and VXA are older versions, MV is the most current RPG Maker. But game development takes years or decades, especially if you're doing it as a hobby, so of course you'll still find people who continue to work with older makers simply because they started their game in them ten or twenty years ago - it is not easy to transfer between RMs due to the changes and improvements done.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@TruBeast you're right it will have to be moved again. One thing, it would be good to amend the info under your avatar. As I'm on my phone now I can't tell if you've done that already.

[move]RPGMaker MV[/move]

TruBeast

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
can be done by eventing - I suggest you follow the link to the starting point in my signature and then to the variables guide, that should point you into the correct direction. You'll need to learn eventing to do what you want as well, so you should take one or two weeks to work thorugh those tutorials as well.

VX and VXA are older versions, MV is the most current RPG Maker. But game development takes years or decades, especially if you're doing it as a hobby, so of course you'll still find people who continue to work with older makers simply because they started their game in them ten or twenty years ago - it is not easy to transfer between RMs due to the changes and improvements done.
Hey Andar, thanks heaps for the reply - sorry for the noobish questions :) the info you have provided is great!

...one problem however... I dont know if it is just because I'm on my phone but I actually can't see your signature?

I tried clicking on your name and avatar too but couldn't see it there either.

Would love to follow the link, could you please help me find it :/

Thanks again for your help!

TruBeast

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@TruBeast you're right it will have to be moved again. One thing, it would be good to amend the info under your avatar. As I'm on my phone now I can't tell if you've done that already.

[move]RPGMaker MV[/move]

Ahhhh so sorry Kes, hate to be a pain - but thank you.

I have also changed my profile to MV now too

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I actually can't see your signature?
there is a setting in your profile where you can tell the forum software to display signatures or not.
I have four tutorial links in my signature, here is the one I was talking about:
http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/a-starting-point-for-new-users-v12.14727/

Additionally, you just doubleposted - which is against forum rules. A double post is adding another post when your own post is the last one in the topic, in those cases the mods will ask you to edit your previous post to add what you want.
and either use multiquote or @Username (for example @TruBeast ) to speak to someone.

TruBeast

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Haha dammit breaking all the damn rules @Andar !

My bad sorry all - promise it won't happen again.

Thanks again @Andar you've been a great help. Will go check out the links now

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I wonder what cat meat tastes like.
Some call him... the wacky one.
Writing out an idea for the No Travel Game Jam. I have a general plot and challenge written out, it's just a matter of filling the rest in and making it interesting.
A definite difficult time right now. How is everyone doing during this pandemic? I already have seen furloughs and layoffs.
Hollow 1977 wrote on Archeia's profile.
Hope you and your family are doing well during this difficult time. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wutong